Compensating for taking a shot from Treestand

beachpeaz

On 9/22/2012 at 2:27 PM, beachpeaz said:

So, the question is, what IS the common issue when shooting from a tree stand? Is it breaking form to shoot down, thus throwing off your eye angle? If so, what do you do to mentally avoid that when the time comes to let it fly?

it is all form in my opinion. Dropping your arm and not bending at the waist while keeping the same anchor point will stretch you draw length. This is brutal on a bow that doesn't have a hard backwall. Even with the new bows with a hard backwall additional pressure against that wall will put more energy and cause a hit shot. 

• Like 2

not the whole story and the wrong math, as the issue is not the distance but the arc of the arrow that is most influenced at different angles and it is not only the horizontal distance that has the longest effect of gravity on the arrow's path and thus it's point of impact at steep angles.

you are simply solving for B, horizontal distance here and the distance is not what you are trying to find, also, you are not firing at the deer's feet, but 3 feet higher, which effects the drop of the arrow, so to have the flight line of the arrow intersect the deer at the heart area you  can immediately see that your distance point B needs to be well BEYOND the deer, and because the arrow flight is not a straight line but an arc you can see that your B distance will vary based on arrow speed and drag and  it is the drop of the arrow that you are solving for, which is basic trigonometry, first you need to find the cosine of the angle at the deer relative to the tree stand archer, not at it's feet.

immediately obvious is the height of the target is in play as is the levelness of the ground, and the temperature and pressure as it relates to arrow speed and ofcourse the important effects of gravity on the arrow dependant on the arrow speed and loss of speed.

I won't go into the math unless anyone truly cares, you won't have the equipment with you in the tree to accurately measure anyway, suffice it to say because of the downward pull of gravity on an arrow, even todays fast bows, the steep uphill shot is much longer than you measure horizontally to the target and the steep downhill shot as from a treestand is shorter but only marginally so mostly because todays bows have little difference in impact point from 5 yards to 15 yards.

don't forget you also have acceleration from gravity when shooting downhill.

2 hours ago, slickrockpack said:

I won't go into the math unless anyone truly cares, you won't have the equipment with you in the tree to accurately measure anyway, suffice it to say because of the downward pull of gravity on an arrow, even todays fast bows, the steep uphill shot is much longer than you measure horizontally to the target and the steep downhill shot as from a treestand is shorter but only marginally so mostly because todays bows have little difference in impact point from 5 yards to 15 yards.

don't forget you also have acceleration from gravity when shooting downhill.

Awe come on..I always bring my protractor and compass with me..lol..

And contrary to what one would think ,one has to compensate shooting uphill the same as down....

pretty much covered.  once you get proficient you won't compensate at all for an expected higher point of impact, except for what the deer does.  you aim for where it needs to go and it goes there.  angled range finders do help when hunting hill sides and ridges where it's the drop in grade plus your stand height.  I have range finder with the angle feature that I use for hunting with both rifle and bow.  it's a bit hilly here in NE part of the state compared to other areas.  sometimes a difference of 5 yards and the deer reacting to the shot is enough to cause an uncomfortably high shot.

18 hours ago, ncountry said:

Awe come on..I always bring my protractor and compass with me..lol..

And contrary to what one would think ,one has to compensate shooting uphill the same as down....

you need an inclinometer and a calculator:drinks:

shooting steep uphill has the opposite effect as shooting steeply downhill as far as arrow flight time is concerned;

deceleration from gravity vs acceleration from gravity

14 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:

you need an inclinometer and a calculator:drinks:

shooting steep uphill has the opposite effect as shooting steeply downhill as far as arrow flight time is concerned;

deceleration from gravity vs acceleration from gravity

Fun little topic.rarely except  for extremely steep and far shots will it effect our shots as hunters. Not a scientist , but pretend to know it all .;)

I am fairly certain what has the most  affect on our trajectory as bow hunters is the actual horizontal distance to the target , not the actual measured distance. this still is very small difference except for extreme circumstances.

I think acceleration or deceleration  from gravity would be pretty  minimal in our circumstances.

2 hours ago, ncountry said:

Fun little topic.rarely except  for extremely steep and far shots will it effect our shots as hunters. Not a scientist , but pretend to know it all .;)

I am fairly certain what has the most  affect on our trajectory as bow hunters is the actual horizontal distance to the target , not the actual measured distance. this still is very small difference except for extreme circumstances.

I think acceleration or deceleration  from gravity would be pretty  minimal in our circumstances.

In my experience this is true.  A very steep shot uphill or downhill will tend to be high.  But stand shots I don't adjust at all.  Then again our stands are mostly 15' or less.  If I sat 35' high, maybe I would have to adjust.  No idea and not interested in sitting that high.  Lol

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Quit over analyzing. line of sight at 20yds and 20 feet high is 18.86 yds at ground level. use the dam 20yd pin. Line of sight at 50yds is 49.55 at ground level. So quit making it harder than it is.

Exactly.. ;). but what else are we going to debate  , while waiting for a deer to walk by..ha.ha.