So how would you ...

growalot

Approach hunting this...

I have a stand in a swamp area..it is VERY thick with downed trees and wild rose...poison ivy...grapes......marsh grasses and dogwood brush....I went down to clear a better path...dark entry...prefer not to loose an eye from the wild rose or a branch...and need to be quiet...I finally cut my way to the stand and 8 yrds to the front ..I mean rt in the swamp are a bunch of beds...lots of deer dung and one pile that ...well really looked like bear on the way in...turn to back of stand more beds and trails running all around it...

The only shot I have is one little spot front lft and front rt and lft rear...all other spots around and rt up to the stand is thick dogwood brush weaved with rose ...Now the prevailing wind comes in from the west and some from the north the stand faces west north west...as far as wind and the beds are west of the stand in front...I have to come in from the north west...It is the only way in to hunt this

I put it up[ a few years ago and never really hunted it...Then the deer were bedding out in front but 50yds away behind I giant willow...there were trails where the beds are now......

sounds to me like you are in the bedroom. not sure what to tell you. you are gonna leave sent all over for sure. I guess if I were gonna try it, I would spray down really well and get in there extra early but beyond that I think I would pull the stand and set it on on the out side of the swamp down wind and hunt it afternoons.

Might not be that bad of a tactic if you hunt it during the full moon with nightime activity up. if this is the bed room and you can get in early before they come back in early morning you may make out ok. It is less than ideal entry but if you are walking in without bumping them where they are feeding you might pull it off. I HATE hunting full moon times but this might work

I could hunt farther up the hill...only problem is I'd run a much greater risk of bumping deer coming in from the top of the hill...east of them...and it is a much shorter walk up to stand on the north side of property walking east.....This requires my walking a bit over a 1/2 mile down two roads to get to where I go in.... not a problem...the trail in has me concealed right up until I get to the stand...and still concealed from anything coming in form the east...most trails run north to south except the stream trail on my north where I come in and the what use to be a trail to their beds...now that looks to be the beds....

It's a quiet walk in due to being wet and I cleared the trail of anything that would cause noise...leaf drop isn't a problem...most trees are either dead or ash that drop early....This wasn't hunted before because I wanted sanctuary...but I seem to be the only one in the area not hunting this piece of my property....If I have to clean up the trespassing with a presence than I might as well make the best of it...

The food sources are up the hill and to the south of this...the neighbors land to the north is deep swamp and to the south is housing...West is a very over browsed horse farm...The deer travel up hill in the evenings and down hill in the mornings...always have...with some lateral movement...

The new logging taking place in this section right now is a wood lot on the other side of the housing....1000ft away

Would tend to watch the trail u blazed in, as the deer will use it now. Sounds like the only area for a good shot. We had a piece on our property we use to hunt like this one. Wild swampy, over grown,eye sticking, just about impossible to access. Still remember sticking a thorn apple spike right in the side if my face. Best stand on the property during the rut. and the deer knew it. Great spot for that " deer community room." It was an evening spot. Mature bucks always seem to show. . Might be worth a little extra scouting. There's no doubt in my mind, pushed the deer into nocturnal sooner. An ice storm ended us hunting it. Seem to have better results staying out.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

The last snow storm blocked any access in from the east...downed several ash and a large wild apple split....This blocked the 1 ft wide section of marsh grass and soil that I could walk on with out sinking to my knees

The answers I was looking for was more time than any thing Bubba....early morning ...midday...evening ...pre rut...rut ...I do know from watching a neighbors swamp from one of my stands...200yds away...he has huge buck that just wonder back and forth in his swamp mid morning to mid day...then they come up on us in the evenings and go back down in the mornings...most times not in shooting hours...I've been lucky over the years to catch 4 8pts during bow and a 7 and 8pt during gun sneaking in too late or mid morning during the rut...but his swamp is much bigger and closer to a good food source than this little piece...and doesn't have the problem of houses near by on one side

Would tend to watch the trail u blazed in, as the deer will use it now.

Ain't that the truth. Anytime I cut access trails in that thick crap, it eventually becomes a deer trail. In fact that has happened so often that I usually extend those trails past the stand so I can get a shot at any critters that decide to use it. I guess they are a lot like people ..... why push your way through wild rose and vines when you have this nice trail .... lol.

......he has huge buck that just wander back and forth in his swamp mid morning to mid day...then they come up on us in the evenings and go back down in the mornings...most times not in shooting hours...

I have found that the only chance I have at the bigger bucks is by hunting these gosh-awful thickets that are so nasty and ugly that you have to cut your way into them. Several times from inside these thickets I have watched these guys pacing around waiting for dark before they come out in the open. We often think that older deer go nocturnal, but very often they really are quite active in those areas where people don't go. I suppose in a practical sense that is nocturnal, but if you can get yourself inside without causing a ruckus and without ripping yourself to death on the wild rose, you might be surprised how much action there is in there within daylight hours.