Could this be a 150+ 8pt?

popit

I have been a three year history with this buck . I passed him as a really good 6 pt when he was 2{ no brow tines}. I have lots of trail cam pics of him and his right side sheds from the last 2 years. He is not a big fan of trail cameras. I can honestly say that any time during the season I had a pic of him looking at the cam he never came back to that spot again or at least as long as I ran a cam there. I have now been putting my cams up 8-10 ft and he still noticed the cam in the 2nd pic. Only deer out of everyone that went by that one to see the cam. I am thinking he is a solid mid 150's 8pt. I know it takes alot to get there for an 8 but he might have it ?

I have a three year history with this buck . I passed him as a really good 6 pt when he was 2{ no brow tines}. I have lots of trail cam pics of him and his right side sheds from the last 2 years. He is not a big fan of trail cameras. I can honestly say that any time during the season I had a pic of him looking at the cam he never came back to that spot again or at least as long as I ran a cam there. I have now been putting my cams up 8-10 ft and he still noticed the cam in the 2nd pic. Only deer out of everyone that went by that one to see the cam. I am thinking he is a solid mid 150's 8pt. I know it takes alot to get there for an 8 but he might have it ?

Edited by popit

in velvet, not enough mass, short brows will hurt as well... left side much stronger that rt. out of velvet ....130's when i shot my 8 everyone that saw it was screaming boone n crocket...it takes a lot of bone legnth, and mass especially to get to 150... let alone a booner at 170... 10pt plus is what is needed . should be close if he makes it to 4.5 or 5.5 but he may grow more points by then as well 3.5 he is just a young buck still when it come s to maturity..

looking at pic on other post , I think he was prolly a real good 1.5 when you passed him as a 6 . 99% of the hunter on this sire would love to take a 2 year old( most score 100's . prolly 3.5 this year, body still not fully developed he's still in velvet, mass is not there, brows are short, much stronger on left than rt side. mid 130's. might get there next year if he makes it....

Edited by G-Man

if his beams are (24") g-1's (4"), g-2's (10") g-3's (8") circumference each side ( maybe 17") and spread (18")... I come up with a gross of 143 with no deductions... that's where I would score it. maybe with g-4's as a 10 pt he might get 150

His net would be way below 150 with deductions

Edited by nyantler

Well his beam was 24 last year. I can tell its longer this year. His G2 was 11.00 last year and you are giving him a spread of 18 inches this year??? Short Brows 18 inch spread Somebody inject some sense in this post please He would of grossed more than 143 that last year. 63 inch shed on his weaker side

Edited by popit

The cup of a mature whitetails ear is 6"... you can base your measurements from there... mine are pretty close I bet... beams may be 26... but that would only get him to 147 gross.. then lets give him a 20" spread.. thats 149... I've been a measurer for a lot of years and have seen 100's of trophy racks... I'm usually pretty close if not dead on... deductions would pull him way below the 150 mark

Take away the velvet and although he is a very impressive 8pt... his score does not get to 150.

Edited by nyantler

Well I am not looking at net score. I never have any of my deer officially scored because I do not agree with the whole deduction thing{ they grow it scores in my book} but thats for another post. I have not been an official measurer but have measured many good bucks over the years. We are not that far off. I think he is 21 inside spread and also has a few points off his bases that would add up to 5-7 inches in my opinion.

I guess we agree to disagree. I can almost say for sure he gets to 150 gross. Again, I have his right shed from last year. It is 63 inches. Now he is bigger and has a few extra points off his bases.

He is a great deer and you have the pic. Score him on here by what you see in the pic and see what we come up with!!

the only way that buck could be less than 150 is if he has an unusually small body which could be hard for someone other than yourself to judge. I,ve sized blackbear by looking at where they stand in a pic then compare that to a tree which is close in the pic and have come pretty close.

But im pretty sure that being a NY buck with a NY buck body hes a 150 or better. iffen he was a Florida buck with a 90lb body then he would only be a 110 or 120inch...

Best thing to do is shoot him then take the measurements....lol!!