Doe down!!!

deerpassion

Well you can look at it two ways. Hunting is my down time. A time i can relax with out any agro from work and life ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR

sure but shouldn't you maybe be alert so you don't miss see that deer that might be walking under your stand?

What I find funny is seeing people posting on this forum while on their stands. Makes absolutely NO sense to me. OK, I can see someone wanting to take a phone with them for safeties sake, but why fuss around with these contraptions when you are supposed to be hunting? I guarantee that sooner or later these hunters will miss spotting a deer while playing with these things. Email friends and post to forums when you get back home. In the woods one should be looking and listening for game movement and not looking at this forum. I know that's what I will do when I get out there.

I like to get in my stand very early and it kills time and keeps me awake. I have a tendency whens its nice and the sun on my face a nice fall breeze breeze and beautiful scenery to fall sound asleep. I wonder if my snoring spooks deer ;) ZZzzzzz ZZZzzzzz

• Like 2

I dont think you would be very succesfull taking just any dog out in the woods tracking. These Animals are trained for a long time before they are put on a real live trail. I have 4 Dachshounds and They wouldnt have a clue if I just took them out in the woods and had them sniff around.More than likely they would be tracking squirrels, they hate squirrels with a passion. Mice and chipmonks are on their hit list also. Not to mention my wife would kill me if I took my hairy shortlegged daughters out in the woods. :derisive:

I dont think you would be very succesfull taking just any dog out in the woods tracking. These Animals are trained for a long time before they are put on a real live trail. I have 4 Dachshounds and They wouldnt have a clue if I just took them out in the woods and had them sniff around.More than likely they would be tracking squirrels, they hate squirrels with a passion. Mice and chipmonks are on their hit list also. Not to mention my wife would kill me if I took my hairy shortlegged daughters out in the woods. :derisive:

I disagree I have a chocholate lab that i trained for pheasants and waterfowl and has a great nose and could and would sniff out anything. I am not going to lie and be up front and honest and say I have taken her out on deer recoveries in the past and she has led us right to them. Honestly did not know untill I read this thread it was illeagal to do so nor did It ever cross my mind to even check if it was legal. Just assumed it was fine and I do take full responsability for it. Not making excuses or braging here just assumed that recovering the deer was of best interest. And now this is just out of curiosity what is the reason you cant use dogs to recover?? Just asking a simple ligit question not trying to start a heated battle. Anyone know?

You cant trust most hunters ( present company excluded ) to tag and report their deer let alone trust them that they are using a dog legally to track a wounded deer.

What would be an illegal way of using a dog to track a deer? or are you saying that some may actually use the dog to hunt it then just cover it up by saying they were tracking it?? Just curious here

exactly what is down time while you are hunting?

Slow times are different depending on the time of year, where Im hunting, etc.

For example, at my father's property, the golden hours are best most of the season (1 - 1 1/2 hrs before susnset and after sunrise), but during the rut things can pop at any time. Other places are different.

Got a doe at 8... Seen a total of 5 does, no bucks yet, still at it.. My belly is gonna be happy tonight!

I tell you guys, I still can't get over the way this thread started and then ended. I reckon it was back to his usual dinner instead of venison backstrap he was expecting? LOL

post-328-0-71738000-1349272194.jpeg

Every minute in stand is prime time in my opinion. Mornings just plain dont favor out well for me though lol. But most activity I see is 11 till sunset. When I sit I most likely will be in stand by 10 and stay put till sunset. If Im not up for that long of a stent I will be in well before light and then back out in evening but that is rare as I hardly ever see deer in am. Im not positive but I recall only shooting one deer in the morning in over 20 years of deer hunting. You have to remember deer dont lay down all darn day long, they need to feed, drink and evacuate waste just like us humans. So having a book, or the android to occupy some of that time sure is helpful. All the while paying attention. Volume is on mute obviously. You might be suprised how alert you actually are, especially hearing, you arent sitting there for hours straining to hear every little squeek in the woods, but rather you hear them more naturally as an odd sound or even a movement from not straining so damn hard on every little object. Its funny to me how every tree stumps turns into a deer after so much time of just staring at them lmao.

Edited by wdswtr
  • Like 1

Its funny to me how every tree stumps turns into a deer after so much time of just staring at them lmao.
LOL I froze for 10 minutes in my stand because I thought a stump was a bedded down deer once. Amazing that you want to see a deer so bad sometimes your mind makes you think there is one.