Tree stand VS Ground Blind

Guns&ReligionCop

As age catches up with give me a comfortable ladder stand any day of the week, but I must vote for the ground blind. Even though it is much harder to bow hunt from a ground blind, I find it much more safer and relaxing then putting hours in a tree stand.

I like to use the portable ground blind, A ghillie suite. This is the one I use from Cabelas. I inter weev grass and brush into the mesh to make it blend in better.

does the ghillie suit ever get caught up in your bowstring, just wondering, have you ever been shot at by other hunters or photographed while walking in the woods with the suit on, serious questions?

Edited by sits in trees

does the ghillie suit ever get caught up in your bowstring, just wondering, have you ever been shot at by other hunters or photographed while walking in the woods with the suit on, serious questions?

I have a ghillie suit that is a "poncho-style" and I have to be darned careful when I shoot the bow with it. In fact it is mostly used for turkey hunting with a gun. If you choose the right style and pattern, it can make you blend in so that someone has to be specifically knowing what to look for in order to see you. It's the most effective camo going. But yes, you do have to be very careful when shooting a bow with it.

I have never been shot at or photographed, but I have scared the hell out of a few hunters that got too close. When that non-descript lump waves at you, I guess it can be a bit un-nerving until you finally figure it all out.

I have to use ground blinds. Usually they are just a small wall of brush and logs built from stuff on-site. I have just begun experimenting with pop-up blinds but have not connected yet.

To me there is no doubt that treestands have great advantages. There is some scent advantage although I believe much over-rated. Being out of the line of sight has advantages also as long as there is adequate back-cover. I spent quite a few decades hunting from treestands until a fear of heights finally took over. Eventually I realized that you can't shoot a bow with both arms wrapped around the tree trunk. I went through a transition stage where I built a huge treestand that was 4'x5' with a railing all the way around. You could hold a square dance up in that thing. It was all built out of pressure treated 2x8's and held to the tree with 6" heavily galvanized lag bolts. I'm sure that will be there for decades after I'm gone. But eventually, I couldn't even get comfortable in that either.

What I have learned in the years since, is that there is absolutely nothing more exciting than hunting deer from the ground, eyeball-to-eyeball. I have had deer almost within touching distance, and there isn't anything that will get your heart pounding more. So now, even if the fear of hieghts was to leave me, I'm not sure I would ever get up in a tree again.

• Like 1

I havent been shot at , and I havent been photographed to my knowledge. I modified, shortened or removed the material on my bow arm and left chest so I dont have a problem drawing.

72% of the deer I killed in NYS have been from the ground. And this is not from a pop-up blind or anything similar, but by sitting up against a tree, stone wall, a boulder or while still hunting. The ones I have taken elsewhere have been 97% from the ground. These percentages are from the over 50 deer I have been lucky enough to kill, so a treestand is most certainly NOT a necessity for success.

I use all, but prefer being in the tree. Pretty fun, although I do at times get a little nervous when up high on a windy day.

I use ground blinds when needed. It perfect as mentioned by Dave that they are awesome when it's hard downpours or poor weather...or even if you just need a break to stretch out.

When I go out of state, which is usually during the rut...I'll hang sets in pinch points/funnels. After day two of an all-dayer, I usually will hunt that third morning, get down, walk over to the centrally located blind, and relax a bit. If it's pouring hard to the point that deer movement shuts down a bit...then I'll hit up that blind.

I also have grown to love them late season here when I hit "burnout.". Most ground cover has been pushed down as best as possible by snowfall and visibility is prime. Perfect to sit in and wait out the day. Easy enough to stay warm with all of the clothes, blankets etc. you need. Haven't yet broke out a buddy heater in one, but I've been close. Usually I just pack a cruddy floor mat (rubberized) and a folding chair, and then a sleeping bag...jump in it so the foot part of the bag is on the mat and you are set. Quiet and warm....

Edited by phade

72% of the deer I killed in NYS have been from the ground. And this is not from a pop-up blind or anything similar, but by sitting up against a tree, stone wall, a boulder or while still hunting. The ones I have taken elsewhere have been 97% from the ground. These percentages are from the over 50 deer I have been lucky enough to kill, so a treestand is most certainly NOT a necessity for success.

+1.

In New York only:

I have killed 5 bucks from sitting against a tree/stone wall or walking.

My Dad has killed around 30 bucks from sitting against a tree/stone wall or walking.

Additionally, we could have each killed a doe every single year for as long as I can remember, if we chose to shoot.

The only treestands I have used have been a couple home made stands with a solid ladder attached, or one store bought ladder type stand. Absolutely NO way would I ever get into a climber, a hang on or anything similar. When one can kill them from the ground, why take stupid risks with such flimsy stands??

The only treestands I have used have been a couple home made stands with a solid ladder attached, or one store bought ladder type stand. Absolutely NO way would I ever get into a climber, a hang on or anything similar. When one can kill them from the ground, why take stupid risks with such flimsy stands??

Same could be said for an Accord, Camry, Taurus, or Malibu vs. a Lotus, Mustang, or Corvette.

I do however, believe there are occassions where treestands have resulted in dead deer that ground hunters would have been unable to kill. Same goes for situations where a ground hunter would be successful whereas a treestand hunter would not be.

Relying on one method reduces overall success in my opinion. But, that's not to say that it is wrong and/or bad. Just individual choice.

It all depends on where you hunt. I can see how treestands are helpful hunting over food plots, etc. Where I hunt, a treestand would be a 0% improvement over hunting on the ground. I wouldn't see any further, it wouldnt benefit me whatsoever. In fact, it could hurt me as deer might be able to see me from farther away.

I do however, believe there are occassions where treestands have resulted in dead deer that ground hunters would have been unable to kill.

I would agree with that. To me however, a dead deer, no matter how big or grand is not worth breaking my neck for. Thus if it's a decision between a treestand that I am not comfortable with or to remain with my feet on the ground, I will take my chances on the ground. No big deal if I don't score on a deer.

I would agree with that. To me however, a dead deer, no matter how big or grand is not worth breaking my neck for. Thus if it's a decision between a treestand that I am not comfortable with or to remain with my feet on the ground, I will take my chances on the ground. No big deal if I don't score on a deer.

You made me chuckle, Steve. I understand where you are coming from. Have you tried a harness before?

Do you kill deer with rainbows or something? Maybe drown them with Marshmallow fluff? I know you aren't walking around with a loaded firearm, that's for sure. Same goes for the other 400,000 orange army. Maybe we should switch to pink? I'm just messing with you though...I understand...sometimes a deer is just a deer.

I use my climber stand on occasion and have done well in spotting travel routes that deer are using and have killed a few as well. However I prefer to hunt on the ground not in a pop-up blind (never used one yet,LOL) but in a blind that is already made by nature, blowdowns, bushes,etc...Being on the ground is awesome especially when a deer comes within arm distance and doesn't spook trying to figure out what you might be and then goes about it's daily business.Theirs nothing like it!

Yes, there are risks doing anything, BUT it's been proven that there are more hunters hurt or killed using treestands than by gunshot wounds or anything else by a WIDE margin. Yeah, maybe many of these people were careless, but I don't think they all were. If I were born a monkey or a squirrel, maybe I'd be more comfortable in a tree, but unfortunately I wasn't, so I will prefer keeping my feet on the ground for most things.

I'm assuming you guys that are hunting from the ground and not using blinds or stands are also not using a bow!

I have only shot a few from a stand, maybe three, all the rest have been from the ground. Never been up a tree with a gun either. I have killed a bunch standing in front of a tree to break up my back ground or while still hunting with the bow. It's harder that way but not impossible.

I'm assuming you guys that are hunting from the ground and not using blinds or stands are also not using a bow!

Im not sure why you assume that.Its actually quite easy to kill any deer from the ground with a bow. It gets more difficult when you want to kill a specific deer. I had 5 within 20 yrds of me the other day. Never knew I was there till a gust of wind hit them in the face. I could have shot the spike or the 2 fawns at will. Unfortunatelly I was trying to kill the mama doe and had no shot. Put the wind in your face and start slowly stalking through the woods. But be ready because things can happen really quick.

Edited by erussell

Of course Im using a bow. If you think you cant kill a deer from the ground with a bow think again. I have shot deer at 3 yards from the ground with a bow. This is what big trees, boulders, hay bales and other natural ground blinds (such as blow downs) are for.

Edited by Clifford

I use my climber stand on occasion and have done well in spotting travel routes that deer are using and have killed a few as well. However I prefer to hunt on the ground not in a pop-up blind (never used one yet,LOL) but in a blind that is already made by nature, blowdowns, bushes,etc...Being on the ground is awesome especially when a deer comes within arm distance and doesn't spook trying to figure out what you might be and then goes about it's daily business.Theirs nothing like it!

You are my kind of hunter, I love when I find tree tops from fresh logging sites. I climb right in the middle of them and the deer have no idea that I am there. I also like to hunt on banks with the wind blowing across or in to me., they make for great back cover. I have never used a pop-up. Sometimes I carry a 4'x12' camo cloth fabric when hunting in open woods to set up between two trees to hind my movment when bow hunting. ,other than that I use all natural blinds