Kot2B

So my assumption from last week was correct, I posted a pic of what looked like a bobcat when I zoomed in. Well, today around 6 I see something brown to my left and I ready hoping it was my #1 coming down the trail. I watch and realize its a cat, but not a little house cat. It walked out the trail, stopped and peed on the stump by the bucks rub. I was amazed to say the least. I have never seen a bobcat around and just watched in amazement as it walked up the hill and crouched down for a few minutes. My experience left me with tons of questions, how aggressive are they? If he is peeing near the rub is it common for deer to just vanish from the area? (camera has been bone dry for a week and a half after 30 pictures in the month of Sept.) If there is one, how many more are there? It was great to watch but man it confused the hell out of me. Needless to say I walked out with an arrow in my free hand (felt like the thing to do but probably wouldn't have done any good). I look forward to any input. Thanks!

Chris

That kitty won't bother you or the deer much..

He'll run like hell if he sees/smells you, and he's not much threat to an adult deer unless it is crippled or bogged down in heavy snow..

Feel lucky to have had a chance to observe one..Many folks haven't..

• Like 1

I was just reading the DEC article saying there they estimate 5,000 in NYS. I shoulda played the lotto tonight... Probably one of the coolest things I experienced while hunting, wish I could have got the cell phone out to snap a picture.... maybe next time

They are pretty cool to see. After 18 years of hunting I finally saw one two years ago. I had seen a black bear with 2 cubs (which was a first as well) and then about 45 mins later i see movement on the same trail as the bears....it was a mother Bobcat with 4 kittens!! That was an amazing day! last year I saw two kitten bobcats playing with each other right off the road at the same property....

That kitty won't bother you or the deer much..

He'll run like hell if he sees/smells you, and he's not much threat to an adult deer unless it is crippled or bogged down in heavy snow..

Feel lucky to have had a chance to observe one..Many folks haven't..

+1.

Why didn't you shoot it? I assume you're not in an area where you are allowed to hunt them...?

+1.

Why didn't you shoot it? I assume you're not in an area where you are allowed to hunt them...?

To be honest I don't know the regulations on them. When I told my father I thought I had a picture of one, he said if you see it don't shoot it. Edited by Kot2B

I didn't realize they were that rare either...I just figured that they didn't want to be seen. We have a few linx in the area as well....almost hit one with the car last year....they are pretty cool to see

Bobcats are in the Lynx family. Are you saying there is Canadian Lynx in Dutchess County?

I just looked at pic of both bobcats and lynx....the 2 that I saw had the long hairy points on the ears (bobcats have the hair as well although it seems not as long). I could be mistaken, but ever since highschool it was said that there were sightings of them around. Found this on the DEC website...

"Between 1989 and 1992, SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) conducted an experimental program of lynx releases in northern New York. Over 80 lynx were caught in northwestern Canada and released in the Adirondacks. ( I didn't past the whole statement but they said one traveled 485 miles in 8 months and was 2 pounds heavier)

• From historical records we know that Canada lynx were present in New York State in the past; however, we do not know for sure if there were ever self-sustaining resident populations in New York. It is likely that there were always lynx traveling through the state from other areas and that the New York population was sustained by immigration from these other areas.
  • Occasionally, we still get reports of lynx in the state. Some of the reports turn out to be the similar-looking bobcat; however, over the last few years we have had a few convincing reports of lynx in the state, and it is clear from these that New York still has an occasional lynx passing through. We do not know of any recent instances of lynx breeding in New York."

• 4 weeks later...

Lynx and Bobcat are pretty different looking in my opinion. Here are pictures of each. The Lynx has totally different paws. They are like boxing gloves. The Lynx stands much taller as well. The Bobcat was 35lbs from Maine. The Lynx although much bigger looking was only like 24lbs from British Columbia.

Maybe alive and only getting a quick look at them could be tough, but once dead you would be able to tell the difference very easily.

I am going on Bobcat hunt in Minnesota this winter, and a Lynx hunt next winter in British Columbia.

post-871-0-27060500-1353088083_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-90647500-1353088085_thumb.jpg

I had a small one come out from a field and run up into cover last week during bow. I make some screeching noises to it and it was interested but not enough to head my way. Saw a much bigger one tonight in a different stand. Came out of the laurel and just walked on every down tree it could. very silent.