Dragging Deer

Dom

I probably wouldn't feel real good about dragging an opened up carcass through a swamp or other stagnant water. That feeling is not based on any particular known hazards, but it just would make me feel better if I left it buttoned up until after I got past the water. So, if I had the choice, I would wait until I got on the "home" side of the water before gutting the deer.

When we've gotten deer when it was warm and we couldn't get out of camp right away we've gutted them and then thrown them right in a cold Adirondack stream to cool them down quicker. Haven't gotten sick yet.

Yup, never had a problem swimming them through Erie County waters either.

We've used the crick to rinse our gutted carcasses for 30+ years now.

Hose it out good and it should be fine. The tenderloins only thing that would really be exposed and I always freeze my before I cook them to kill any parasites or bacteria

G & R Cop Just so you know, freezing does not kill most bacteria or parasites...

G & R Cop Just so you know, freezing does not kill most bacteria or parasites...

Dave not to get into yes it does no it does not but it does kill most parasites and a lot of bacteria . Thats why sushi restraunts freeze and thaw everything before they serve it raw. Obviously the best way to kill these is heat but if you don't like yours well done you should freeze it.

• Like 1

Dave not to get into yes it does no it does not but it does kill most parasites and a lot of bacteria . Thats why sushi restraunts freeze and thaw everything before they serve it raw. Obviously the best way to kill these is heat but if you don't like yours well done you should freeze it.

Don't want to debate either but the fact remains. Unless you have a deep flash freezer as commercial sushi providers do, you will not kill most parasites. And unless your trusting hunting forum posts or the missiouri venison king, freezing will not kill most bacteria as well. Of course i'm not saying it is not a good idea to do so, as freezing will halt the growth at that level. A level if handled properly that most humans can handle. E-coli is also not killed by freezing. Once the meat is thawed, the bacteria will re-start it's growth process once again. Also Salmonella will survive freezing. When Freezing meat follow the old saying.. Quality in quality out . Garbage in Garbage out.

Just added the salmonella FACT in to more emphasize the risks of relying on freezing to protect you from food bourne illnesses. Again, i agree with you, in that it is the best proceedure to freeze your venison. Just not willing to count on it after i dragged my carcass through the swamp. Or after you gut shoot a deer and let him lay over night. Just saying Freezing is not saving you from potential problems.

Just added the salmonella FACT in to more emphasize the risks of relying on freezing to protect you from food bourne illnesses. Again, i agree with you, in that it is the best proceedure to freeze your venison. Just not willing to count on it after i dragged my carcass through the swamp. Or after you gut shoot a deer and let him lay over night. Just saying Freezing is not saving you from potential problems.

Coming from a guy in the food biz that is sound advice and spot on. Just try to avoid unneeded risks with meat of any kind, cook to proper temp and or cool to proper temp and enjoy.

• Like 1

I always freeze my before I cook them to kill any parasites or bacteria

All I'm going to say is...I so WOULD NOT DO THAT WITH BEAR/ Wild Hog MEAT...thinking it killed the parasites...one could end up with trichinosis if not cooked properly

What can be done to prevent the spread of trichinosis?

The best prevention is to make sure that pork products are properly cooked. The desirable temperature is at least 150 degrees Fahrenheit. Storing infected meat in a freezer with a temperature no higher than -13 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 days will also destroy the parasite.

Pretty sure my freezer isn't quite that cold...is yours????