Bad Processor

Lunkerbass21

Question....I took a deer to Larry's in Avon 2 weeks ago and called twice to see if the deer would be done (they said 1-2 days) When I called 6 days later it took them 3 hours to "find" my deer. They said it was not done yet and would be done last weekend. They never called. I called back monday and they took a while to find it again and said it was done. What are the odds that I will be getting MY deer. Do I get it or let it go and try for one during gun season. Thanks for the advice.

Lunkerbass21 – This is the reason I started cutting my deer myself. It’s really not that hard. Once you get good at it usually takes about 2 to 3 hours. If you don’t have a place for this at your home, you can buy a deer hoist and quarter it in the woods. Taking the straps and four quarters out of the woods is a lot easier than taking a whole deer. Just finish the trimming at home.

Years ago I pulled in with a deer and saw a pile of I dont know how many deer piled up outside. I did not even get out of the truck and drove home and cut it up in the barn. I know a couple of guys who do a great job in leicester. They are the only people I would trust. contact me If you want there info.

I use Larry's every so often. Can't say they are great...but generally, you do get your deer's meat. They process a large number of deer. They also work REAL close with the DEC just based on proximity alone...the DEC Regional Headquarters are almost in SIGHT of Larry's.

The ground meat...no doubt it's a bulk mix of deer, but you do get your deer, they use a ton of freezers, and it takes a while to locate your deer because once it is processed, it is boxed and each box has the name on it...digging through chest freezers, etc. to find a name takes a bit. I assume the "delay" is ground meat...which they don't do every day, I think. I think they usually do that in batches. I bet your deer was processed fast, but then the ground is where the delay came from.

But, as I said, they are certainly not my favorite....I'll avoid them if I can. Only time I use them is if I NEED to due to time or some other issue. Opening day is impressive because they'll stack up the deer to proces as fast as possible....when it's warm out...I sort of cringe at that. Their prices also SUCK imo.

Edited by phade

Before even clicking on the link to open this forum I thought, what are the chances that out of any place in NYS this post is about Larrys....and sure enough, it is. My boyfriend has taken his deer here for the pure reason of circumstance. It's close and open when others have been closed. We decided that from now on, we only want the basics done. Steaks, sausage, etc. we will do ourselves. He adds pork fat and we have found chewy cartilage in all of our sausage. Plus, it seems to be overpriced for the quality that you actually receive. We are desperately looking for a close good place to take our deer from now on because we don't have the means to do it ourselves (we live in an apt. in the middle of town). I highly suggest NOT GOING TO LARRYS!

P.S. the pickup has always been inconvenient as well. His wife will call my boyfriend and say that he needs to pick it up RIGHT THEN before she goes out to run errands. That means he has to go pick it up, bring it home, then head back that same direction to work. It's what's convenient for them, not their customers.

My son and I both got nice does the first week of Bow season. We usually cut them up ourselves but it was warm and and we didnt have the time. We took the first one to Larry's and the second to Steele sausage and catering.

Here is my comparison:

We received 10lbs more meat back from Steele's from deer that were about the same size.

Larry's was $75.00 and Steele's was $70.00 plus tax. So it was the same.

Larry's called in 3 day's. Steele's had it done the next day.

I had 80lbs of hotdogs, maple sausage, apple, sausage, summer sausage, and slims made at Steeles. I am very pleased with it all. It was all done and ready for pickup in 4 days.

I asked Larry to clean up the trimmings to be used in sausage. I had to clean it all up before taking it to Steeles's for sausage. The meat cut's were acceptable from both proccessors.

Steele's is a MUCH MUCH cleaner shop and you wont have dogs playing with your harvest.

If I find the need to have my deer proccessed in the future I will head to Steele's . He is right around the corner and down the road from Larry's on Marshal rd in Avon.

I dont know how either would perform in a busier time but I would choose Steele's over Larry's.

That's my .02 and here is a link to Steele's

Good luck.

http://www.steelesausage.com/

While I never had any dealing with these butchers 2 years ago went with a buddy to perview a butcher that he was going to bring his cow to. Let me say this place was awesome! Clean, plenty of cooler space, the whole 9. After I shot my deer I dropped it off there and while he did a great job cutting and wrapping it took 5 weeks to get my deer back!

He is now outta business (blames his divorce) and I am my own butcher. I know that I get MY deer back and how long it will take. I "pay" some friends and family with some cold ones and venison while we cut(nothing better than cut off the deer and onto the stove). We have alittle cutting party that gets repaid when someone else gets a deer.

I make my own sausage, jerky, steaks, ground. Nothing better!

I used to use Larrys, got sick of getting less meat back than I should have, and when I requested to keep the hide I was always told to grab one from the pile. I wanted MY hide back, not some swiss cheese hide from the guy that unloaded his shotgun into the deer. I started doing it myself. Saves me alot of money.

Have used Larry's in the past. Today I took a deer my wife shot at 4:20 PM yesterday, gutted it and hung it last night and he said it was too old. I noticed he no freezers and there was a stack of deer outside on the ground. He smelled of beer and had one in his hand. So I took back and cut it up myself and it is the freezer.