never been checked by DEC

verminater71

I've been fishing for my whole life. and got my first hunting license I (think) for the 1965/1966 season

Trout fishing checked quite a few times

Brackish water checked once( there were lotsa small stripers in the area)

Saltwater fishing checked once on a pier, once getting off a party boat, and once stopped while fishing in the kayak. Never at the surf

Deer hunting checked once at a checkpoint on rt 17.. never in the woods

Small game checked a few times in the woods

Night (coon) hunting once checked by law enforcement (not DEC)

Waterfowl checked constantly in different areas on L.I...... In one area I was checked so often that I got to know a couple of the Conservation officers.. They were very professional and really good people.

Richard Head.

Dick is famous around Syracuse.

Don't say anything though or hes going to find something wrong.

Just ask the drunks that go ice fishing on Oneida.

I have never been checked. 18 years worth of hunting and fishing.

I have seen them on Chautauqua, Sodus, Skinny, Oneida and run into them on multiple pieces of state land but i have never been singled out.

Edited by 5.9cummins

You should care because one is a city agency and the other is a state agency. One operates according to state laws and the other a more restrictive city law. For example, blaze orange is required in some fishing areas. Think you'll care when you receive a ticket for something along those lines.

what boat areas require blaze orange?

I dont think you have to wear blaze orange at kensico, since its a bow only area, certainly never heard of anyone even getting talked to about it there, or loudens point for that fact.............never seen anyone at any of the bow only areas wearing orange at all, then again, from what I understand is that the DEP COPS cant realize to enfore temporary posting closures around the reservoirs from hurricane sandy...................

Edited by waterweasle

I have been hunting since 1975. I used to hunt a fine patch of state land behind a dec officers house. We used to get checked regularly. I have been checked back in the woods by him while he was hunting also. We used to make drives there and he would come and sit in the drive. Never was illegal, so I never worried. Used to be checked fishing the racquette river quite often also. Last time I was checked was at my camp. I had an officer who wanted to do an arraignment for untagged deer, loaded firearm in a vehicle and felony charge of possession of a firearm as a felon. I told him to meet me at camp as he was in the area and so was I. After the arraignment, his partner checked the guys at camp for licenses even me. I laughed. BTW, the guy was sent to jail on bail.

I dont think you have to wear blaze orange at kensico, since its a bow only area, certainly never heard of anyone even getting talked to about it there, or loudens point for that fact.............never seen anyone at any of the bow only areas wearing orange at all, then again, from what I understand is that the DEP COPS cant realize to enfore temporary posting closures around the reservoirs from hurricane sandy...................

I'm only going by the rules. Weather it's enforced or if you choose to follow them is something else. I've seen hunters with blaze vests and hunters in full camo in the bow only areas.

We used to have the DEC up at hunting camp once a year, every year, during gun season, they would ask to walk around and ask if we got anything. Then they would come once every couple years, and now we haven't seen them in about 7 years.

I was checked in LI about 5 years ago when I was fishing by DEC.

My brother and I were checked by DEP police one early morning, checked the serial numbers on our guns and ran them in their computer and everything. Also checked our IDs and hunting licences and carcass tags. I felt violated to say the least...

We used to have the DEC up at hunting camp once a year, every year, during gun season, they would ask to walk around and ask if we got anything. Then they would come once every couple years, and now we haven't seen them in about 7 years.

My brother and I were checked by DEP police one early morning, checked the serial numbers on our guns and ran them in their computer and everything. Also checked our IDs and hunting licences and carcass tags. I felt violated to say the least...

Steve....The only time I felt violated when when I was checked by that good looking female DEC officer...

But I kinda LIKED that...<<big SMILE>>....

Have been checked at cranberry mt in Putnam several times and they are always there opening day of rifle and small game simply because it would be a fiasco without them. Always very nice and hand out a ton of verbal warnings never seen them summons anyone even though I have witnessed them stopping people for plenty of violations

I actually had the DEC pull in my driveway as I was heading to the taxidermist and butcher. Had a truck bed full of deer. 2 doe and my buck. He started the conversation by saying "heard you shot a big one". Thought that was kind of odd. Then asked to see my license and the tags for all the deer. He was pretty impressed and said I was the first person he had seen that actually filled out the DMP transfer portion on the license. We chatted for a bit and then he was on his way. He makes it a habit to stop in now once a year just to see how I've made out. I would bet he shows up this weekend. Oh, and been stopped a bunch more times in the northern tier while hunting and fishing. They are fine as long as you comply.

Forgot to add...

This wasn't a stop really, but while I was parked on the side of the road, gearing up to head into the woods, a DEP officer pulled up (this was on DEP land by the way). A young officer hopped out of the truck, barely peach fuzz on his face. First thing I thought was "oh boy, here comes the rookie".

Turns out he was a VERY nice guy. Just asked how I was doing, and we conversed back and forth, told him I was moving into a different spot since my morning spot was no good with the current wind. He never asked to see any licenses or anything. Even told me he saw a nice 8 pointer cross the road that morning and where it crossed! (He didn't know I was hunting coyote tho...)

Very pleasant experience that time.

Geez I must look suspicious or something I get checked all the time. :biggrin: Had an officer even stop at the house and get out and walk across the yrd to check the tag on a doe I had hanging in a tree. I find the St Lawerance officers to be the least friendly, and the Wellesely Island park police are real Richard Heads. My buddy and I got screamed at by them one time for pulling our kayak's out on the shore and stretching our legs. I could fill quite a few paragraphs of places I have been checked. One thing I can say, you may not think you are being whatched but more than likely you have been. Especially on the Oswego / Salmon River and Whitney point Res.

Edited by erussell

I am willing to wager I been checked as many times as there are replys to this thread already. I live on the SR and while fishing its a weekly thing you get used too. Back in the day when I tournament fished the walley trail I got checked on the boat alot. Been checked in the adirondacks multiple times hunting, happy valley a few times, camp twice, alot of flyfishing adventures. Not one single ticket either Im proud to say. I think the funniest thing I ever seen happen when two officers on the SR where checking license, these 2 clowns next to me were up next. One guy looks at the other and tells his buddy to take of running to the truck. So the dude takes off running, officers chase after him. The guy left standing there is laughing his head off and proceeds to tell me his buddy has a license and he doesnt and walked away in the opposite direction. lol you run into all sorts of clowns on the river.