solution to antler restrictions

gipper

less then 5% of the buck take is from guys killing 2 not my number DEC's thats spead out acoss the whole state so its not a high number in any one place

I wouldn't doubt this statistic, but if 100,000 bucks get killed in NY, 5% would be 5000.  Maybe one of these 5000 will get an extra year to live and will cross paths with the hunter that wants that bigger buck.  I can't see how a one buck rule can hurt.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this one....and I KNOW a lot of guys know or run across these folks......How about we police and crack down on the folks filling their wife's ...girlfriend's. brother's Dad's tags. How amny of you guys have seen this?

Seen it, and my father in-law thought he would be that guy with my wife's tags. Didn't happen though. I beleive I grumbled some thing about a $98 price tag and then something else rude and it was dropped.

How about this one....and I KNOW a lot of guys know or run across these folks......How about we police and crack down on the folks filling their wife's ...girlfriend's. brother's Dad's tags. How amny of you guys have seen this?

No doubt, it happens all the time.  Heck, a few years ago the state even sanctioned this when they allowed people to transfer over DMP permits.  I always had a hunch that this was a money making scheme by DEC more than anything else.  Just think about it.  People get family members who they know will never hunt to take safety courses and then purchase hunting licenses every for them just to get those extra doe permits to transfer over to them.  How could it be a bad deal for the DEC's revenue??

I know it is all about money----but it was done before even with out it being legal. The doe tags don't bother me too much because it is a fixed number....the bucks are opened ended  to the full number of licenses sold.

I do know of a guy that got busted for it. he shot a buck in bow.....fine....still hunted to fill his antlerless tag...fine...kicked a tresspasser off and the guy happened to have heard the guy already shot a beauty there. when he kicked the guy off he was dragging another nice buck out.....tresspasser went right out and called DEC...busted.

Yeah, there are some who can never have enough.  That surely is a good story on how the trespasser was the one busting the guy.  Now, the $64,000 question here would be whether this idiot was for AR's or not!! LOL Maybe the DEC officers should poll the guys they bust on it??  Might actually be a more accurate stat than we've been getting around here lately.

And I'd bet that guy that guy busted was a brown its down guy.

I'd say you have a 50% chance of being correct with your bet here.  I have no doubt that the brown its down guys pull plenty of shananigans, but on the average I don't think the holier than thou guys that are for AR's are one bit better.  Hunting has a good LONG history of clowns of all shapes and sizes ruining its reputation for those who do go about things within the rules.

I have a chiropractor friend that wrote to the DEC about his thoughts on NY bow season and antler restriction.

Southern Tier:

A) First he suggested a longer bow season... say Sept 15 thru the Fri before gun season opens.

:) Everyone can take one buck and one doe per season which includes the entire deer season (bow, gun, muzzle).

C) His thoughts are this: the doe fulfills the venison fix for meat hunters and it may make others seeking a buck to pass on the smaller bucks w/o placing a size limit on it, like "outside the ears" or "at least 3 points on one side".

I think this make some sense and it eliminates doe permits. Your thoughts?