favorite shotgun

monkeyman2269

It's funny. I had a few shotguns over the years that all got the job done, but never really felt like a nice, sweet gun. I am only 5'6" tall, and i had a guy tell me to try out a youth model. I couldn't believe it the first time i shouldered my 870 youth. I instantly felt i wasted a lot of time and money over the years. It just feels right. So if you are short, young, or a woman, give a youth model a feel before you spend the money.

Remington 1187, rifled barrel, Simmons Pro Diamond 3x9 scope.

Accurate as could be with Lightfield 2 3/4 Hybred Sabots.

In 19 seasons, 22 deer killed, only 1 missed deer.

I had the stock shortened for me because I have short arms, and had the trigger smoothed out. The gun is a dream. Could never imagine hunting with anything else in shotgun zone areas!

Mine would be both my mossberg 500's.

One for deer.

One tactical with a 16.5 inch barrel { half inch more than the legal 16 :spiteful: }

Pistol grip and flashligh witch I found to be very cool.

I thought the minimum barrel length for shotguns was 18 "....16" for rifles...

It's funny. I had a few shotguns over the years that all got the job done, but never really felt like a nice, sweet gun. I am only 5'6" tall, and i had a guy tell me to try out a youth model. I couldn't believe it the first time i shouldered my 870 youth. I instantly felt i wasted a lot of time and money over the years. It just feels right. So if you are short, young, or a woman, give a youth model a feel before you spend the money.

The best gun for you is the one that fits you best, I always have to add rubber recoild pads to get the extra lenght that I need because it seems most guns are designed for shooters in the 5'9" range and I'm measuring in around 6'4" My neighbor is a smaller fellow so he got a Rossi youth model 20 gauge slug gun and he has nothing but success with it.

I just checked the BATF website and I was correct..Minimum 18" for shotguns. Since I assume your rig is a factory model I suspect that you are incorrect in the length..Chances are if you measure it it will be 18.5".

Factory barrel it is.

And luckly your right I thought it was a 16 n half but it is indeed a 18 n a half.

A nice rig though and one i'm still going to be building on.

I've never owned an expensive shotgun, so I can only give my opinion on lower-end models.

I've owned 3 870s over the years, they were all good shooters. I've got a Mossberg 835 that I use for turkey, I wouldn't sell it if you offered me $1,000 for it.

I bought my son a Mossberg 535 recently (he's a left-hander), while it feels cheap & plastic, he can hit whatever he aims at with this gun. Extremely light, & points fast.

I also sold an old Stevens SXS 311A recently (couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with this gun), and traded sideways for a Stoeger Uplander SXS. I like it so far, very light, fits my shoulder well, and points quickly. I'm going to take it out this weekend & try to get a pattern on it. If it shoots good, this may be new favorite gun. :)

Just an update...took my new Stoeger out this weekend to the patterning board at the range.

I'm pretty impressed overall. I did file down the metal bead sight that came from the factory & installed a green fiber-optic bead sight. I tested it at 30 steps, threw a decent pattern from both barrels, I was a little worried the right barrel would shoot to the right (and vice versa), but all shots were right on target. Should work out fine for clay birds & small game, maybe even geese if I want to buy full chokes.

Now the bad news....I also took it to the 50 yard range to shoot rifled slugs. Had a tough time even hitting paper, most shots were flying low. Cut the distance to about 30 yards, and was inside the rings. So, if I DO decide to deer hunt with this gun, I'll have to keep the shots close. Or use buckshot, which is legal in this part of my state.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

The poor performance with slugs is very typical of doubles..

Good to hear that both barrels shoot to point of aim with shot loads. I have seen a lot of them that didn't, mostly inexpensive guns of course. One reason that high quality double guns cost as much as they do is because it takes a certain amount of hand fitting to regulate the barrels to shoot to the same point of aim. Any hand fitting tends to be expensive.

Sounds like you have a nice rig there.

Edited by Pygmy

Hum, I guess i'd say my BPS Buck Special, as its been my first and only deer gun . Killed many many with it over the years, if the deer ever stop falling over I may think about a new gun .

But then I'd never sell my Dad's Remington mod. 11 which is what I started to hunt with on days he was not going out.

And that goes for my Grandfathers Remington side by side too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you're going to think I'm crazy but my favorite slug gun for deer is my H&R 1871 Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe in 12GA. With the 1.75-4x32 Bushnell Trophy scope, it weighs in around 11 lbs. I do stalk with it a little but it is mostly a stand gun. Yes, it is heavy, but it is very accurate as long as I do my part. I shoot Lightfield Hybred 2 3/4" sabot slugs out of it. The bonus for this gun is that I can switch out the barrel and it is a turkey gun for chasing tommy three toes in the spring.

For upland bird and small game, it is an easy choice. I use the gun that my grandfather gave to me. It was his late 30's Winchester Model 12 in 16GA. It has an adjustable choke on it. I love shooting it, and not only for nostalgic purposes.

I have other shotguns but none that I use as often as those two...

wny whitetailer i also must be crazy do all my deer hunting with a h&r ultra slug 20 ga. bushnell 1.75-4x32 think mine tips scales at just under 10. mostly still hunt heavy but accurate as can be took my deer at 60 yrds full tilt one shot kill and am confident i could do it any day of the week.used the open sights i had installed though. small game my 58 16.ga sportsman 48

• 10 months later...