Do you wear Orange? If so why? If not Why not? :)

TheHunter

or any other property. We own the state property, so I guess you should have the choice there too. I would hope so.  As I have said a dozen times and it still stands.  it isnot my job to mak eother hunters safer other than the ones I teach in my classes.

There were links posted earlier on this thread (page 15) for those that are interested in the facts of the argument. These articles and studies show that without a question blaze orange saves lives in a whole bunch of states and has the potential to save more in states that have yet to see the wisdom of such a requirement. There are also stats about the percentages of hunting incidents and the correlation to wearing blaze orange. There also is a chart that breaks down the contributing reasons for hunting accidents which shows a strong visual correlation. Those that didn't read these items of research should now go back and do so. Don't try to guess at the stats or make up what you think  or wish that the stats show. Read and learn, then discuss from an educated position. The work has been done for you. Here are some links that I found:

Page 21 0f this thread,  well spoken Doc.  Sorry if I offended anyone when I said uneducated or slobs in my earlier posts, they were both off the hip and not meant to point the finger at anyone.. But , anyone who has lost a friend  in a hunting fatality like myself knows the anguish of something that possibly could have been avoided.  As" WZtriem "said in a earlier post "Amen",,  I,m finished arguing, I don,t want to bore anyone else.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00044112.htm

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/safety/docs/Hunting_Associated_Injuries_and_Wearing_Hunter_Orange_Clothing.pdf

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3MRuEfjx3l0J:www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/safety/hunter_orange.asp+Reasons+for+mandatory+blaze+orange+while+hunting&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I would be willing to read any credible opposing articles that anyone can point me to. I haven't found any yet.

As far as the arguments that a B/O law is going to shake the very foundation of democracy I think I would like to reserve that particular argument for laws that really threaten to do that and not cheapen it by trying to apply it to such insignificant things as a B/O regulation.

Doc

I would hope if the unsafe hunters see orange, they would not shoot,making them safer.  If it did not make others safer, there is no sense in wearing it.  You wear it not to be shot, not to keep from shooting somene else.  If I did not feel safe in the woods, I would not go in the woods.  Just me. 

I would hope that as well Bubba, but experience has shown me that it is not always the case... I wear some orange when hunting south, and when I'm 5-8 miles back in the adirondacks and am clad in only white. I feel much safer sometimes in white far back in the mountains.

by no means do i feel unsafe in the woods i guess its just i was brought up wearing orange and hunt mostly state land i realalize that unsafe hunters will be unsafe regardless if im wearing orange or not but have also startled other hunters while walking none of wich were going to shoot me just supprised as i was t see another back far in the swamps

To be honest- I assumed orange was required in the Southern Zone until this year. I grew up in CT where it is required and have lived in NY for 5 years. I saw several guys without  it this year and reread the hunting regs. It should be required in SZ. There are so many small parcels with hunting neighbors. I want them to know where I am and I want to know where they are. It certainly doesn't spook deer. If you are worried about how you look in orange then maybe you are worried about getting mud on your boots too. Safety is the #1 priority. The Gov't is not just trying to impose more rules because they can- they are trying to possibly save your life or mine. Nothing will bring more Gov't into the eqaution than 9 yr old kids getting shot in the guts.

it isnt up to the govt to make me be safe.  That is my own responsibility and just mine. and since I hunt mostly swamops and in the swamps, mud on my boots is not a problem.  Again I state my position. Make it mandatory for all manners of hunting. If deer are not spooked by it, then archery hunters should be fine in it also. All or nothing

To be honest- I assumed orange was required in the Southern Zone until this year. I grew up in CT where it is required and have lived in NY for 5 years. I saw several guys without  it this year and reread the hunting regs. It should be required in SZ. There are so many small parcels with hunting neighbors. I want them to know where I am and I want to know where they are. It certainly doesn't spook deer. If you are worried about how you look in orange then maybe you are worried about getting mud on your boots too. Safety is the #1 priority. The Gov't is not just trying to impose more rules because they can- they are trying to possibly save your life or mine. Nothing will bring more Gov't into the eqaution than 9 yr old kids getting shot in the guts.

The kid was wearing orange - took it off at a whim when hot. What law would have changed that?

I have seen that same thing three times on state land. In two of the cases, they were complete with face paint. The only thing that runs through my mind when I see this is that here are some individuals intent on "suicide by hunter".

Now if that hunter had been shot how would that be suicide?  I would think murder is more appropriate.  Again why not focus on stiffer penalties and IDENTIFYING your target rather then asking the Gov't to hold our hands and tell us what we need to do and how to do it.

I still look at those who willingly go afield during hunting season without blaze orange as people that don't value their lives, or the future welfare of their dependents very highly. In terms of minors, if they are not instructed properly about the importance of blaze orange, then there is an adult somewhere who has dropped the ball and who has terribly misjudged the maturity and the level of supervision of that minor that they have put in that position.

I hope all you people are not disputing the effectiveness of blaze orange as a safety measure in a deer gun season. There is documentation back several pages in this thread that points out the ratio of NYS hunting mishaps that involve b/o versus those without. It is overwhelmingly convincing. Is it a cure-all? ...... not hardly and no one has ever claimed that it is. Does that mean that it shouldn't be used? ..... I hope no one here is foolish enough to believe that. On the other hand, when viewing the stats on the number of hunting incidents that involve hunters not wearing b/o, maybe one should expect that we might have a few in our membership as well.

Whether you think it should be a law or not is an individual decision. But I'm getting the impression that there are some here that think that wearing b/o is not an appropriate safety measure. For those individuals, I hope you never find out just how terribly wrong you are.

I don't know if this fits in here but I was thinking about the crossbow and safety. If the crossbow was allowed in bow season would you feel uncomfortable walking around in full camo? There is a story in Outdoor news about a bolt going through a deer and lodging itself in the side of a house. Don't these things shoot 100 yards? I have questions about whole safety factor here "if" they were allowed in Bow season. Any thoughts?

I hunt in an area that is private property.  I watch over and have exclusive rights on the 200 acreas surrounding my land. My neighbor has 45 acres and no one of his family members still hunt.  Behind that is another 60-70 no one still hunts- next to that is another 50 acres no one still hunts.  We all walk or ATV in the woods on logging trails to our blinds with flashlights or headlights on,  use those same trails for lunch, walk out in the dark with flashlights.  Have never seen a trespassor during gun(have seen 2-3 during summer months), nor has any of the surronding property's, people have to walk through yards to trespass and we ALL hunt in blinds or stands.  Now please tell me how we are be irresponsible.  Oh and if there is any tracking to do we get on the cells and communicate.  Lot of different terrain, hunting pressure etc.... in this state.  Why do most guys feel the way it is where they hunt pertains to the whole state.  IF I hunted state land, did drives, had trespassors etc.... of course I'd wear orange but either way, foolish or not, it should be my choice.  PS My old man walks off his deck, goes to the end of the yard, and sits in a blind, why does he need to go out and buy orange?

PPS Again, shouldn't the focus be on IDENTIFYING your target not on Uncle Sam treating us as children.  We're capable enough to give them tax dollars, fight and die in wars, etc... but we need penalties for not wearing seat belts or wearing orange, come on now.

All pix's taken right by stands- notice how open the terrain is, even the wooded areas

post-1970-131455397152_thumb.jpg

post-1970-13145539717_thumb.jpg

post-1970-131455397183_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this fits in here but I was thinking about the crossbow and safety. If the crossbow was allowed in bow season would you feel uncomfortable walking around in full camo? There is a story in Outdoor news about a bolt going through a deer and lodging itself in the side of a house. Don't these things shoot 100 yards? I have questions about whole safety factor here "if" they were allowed in Bow season. Any thoughts?

Crossbows typically have the same or less range then a bow. 

With all this fear I'm reading about I say cancel the whole hunting and fishing thing or require full body armour from head to toe make it a one day season and you must pay a gov't official to sit by you and approve of your shot. Anyone fishing on a boat or off of shore should have to have water wings, a life jacket, a horn, and life guard must be on duty.  Trappers can longer use traps that may harm humans that may step in them instead they must use a noose but provide a safety release in case a human gets snared.  Cancel turkey without a doubt. SHHH did you hear that? I think I heard a branch fall outside.  New rule whenever outdoors must wear a hard hat!!!!

Now that it's small game (yote) season...I'm back to all camo.

Don't forget your flares, global tracking beacon, survival blanket and tent, global cell phone, water purifying pills, first aid kit, saw, etc.... I hear 99% of hutners that got lost wouldn't have if they had the above. HAHA

PS oh yeah, and your orange.  If people misplace other hunters as  deer you may look like a yote to them as well.  It's apparently hard for some poeple to distinguish between a upward walking two legged animal and a bent over four legged animal.

Crossbows typically have the same or less range then a bow. 

With all this fear I'm reading about I say cancel the whole hunting and fishing thing or require full body armour from head to toe make it a one day season and you must pay a gov't official to sit by you and approve of your shot. Anyone fishing on a boat or off of shore should have to have water wings, a life jacket, a horn, and life guard must be on duty.  Trappers can longer use traps that may harm humans that may step in them instead they must use a noose but provide a safety release in case a human gets snared.  Cancel turkey without a doubt. SHHH did you hear that? I think I heard a branch fall outside.  New rule whenever outdoors must wear a hard hat!!!!

I thought they could shoot 100 yards? The distance thing was a problem with me if it were true. We all have our safety tolerances, I want to be absolutely sure to take precautions when I know there is another person around with a weapon that could kill me or anyone else on my property.

Burt,

I think just like a compound...a misplaced inadvertant shot could easily travel 100 yards or beyond. I have seen guys at an indoor range hit that trigger on their compounds when they are shooting too much weight for them and start with the bow very high...click....into the ceiling  :O . I am betting 100 yards plus for either one. If you are comfortable during bow I wouldn't think anything would change with the crossbow. Some on here will disagre with me but I think the percentage of yahoos per each implement are probably pretty close :(

I am betting 100 yards plus for either one.

I'll take that bet and give you 100 to 1 odds. 

I'll start a thread asking how many guys are accurate out to 100 yards and we'll see how many guys are full of crap.  I'm not the most experienced bow hunter but all of my kills (about 25-30) with the bow have been within 30 yards.

PS the 100 yard three is in general and call bow yardage

I am betting 100 yards plus for either one.

I'll take that bet and give you 100 to 1 odds. 

I'll start a thread asking how many guys are accurate out to 100 yards and we'll see how many guys are full of crap.  I'm not the most experienced bow hunter but all of my kills (about 25-30) with the bow have been within 30 yards.

PS the 100 yard three is in general and call bow yardage

I didn't think he meant accurate killing yardage. This past fall I didn't believe in the 60-70 yard bow kills  but a buddy proved me wrong on that. Mountain goat at 62 yards and he was unbelievable on the range. It meant crazy practice and he was vital accurate to 70 yards. I didn't believe it until I saw it. That said all mine are under 30 yard kills...lol