Teacher vs Student Debate, Fun times

Robinson446

Lol ..... Do we really want to start picking on grammar and spelling here?

Yes, who needs to speak well and spell well in an educational environment? (rolling my eye's) Shouldn't we be making young people aware of how they can be more effective in their communication skills so they can articulate an agenda that is important to all of us? (rolling my eye's again)

• Like 1

Yes, who needs to speak well and spell well in an educational environment? (rolling my eye's) Shouldn't we be making young people aware of how they can be more effective in their communication skills so they can articulate an agenda that is important to all of us? (rolling my eye's again)

Scot, could not agree more.

When one is trying to convey an opinion or make a statement on something and words are misspelled, pronounced wrong or used in the wrong context, it takes away from their credibility. If you want to be taken serioulsy, please be sure your t's are crossed and i's are dotted. JMO

• Like 2

Scot, could not agree more.

When one is trying to convey an opinion or make a statement on something and words are misspelled, pronounced wrong or used in the wrong context, it takes away from their credibility. If you want to be taken serioulsy, please be sure your t's are crossed and i's are dotted. JMO

Big Indian ----- If you want to be taken seriously , spell it right ! :angry: It isn't "serioulsy" !

• Like 2

Being able to articulate yourself in a debate is paramount; therefore, grammar and spelling is relevant in this discussion.

This is not a post about how one's day went in the woods. He's talking about how stupid a teacher looks while giving himself the appearance of a dunce.

I'm not holding anything against the kid, but I know I'm not hiring him for any open position in my company - and there are 13,000 employees in it.

Edited by phade

The points here were made to help this young man. No one is attacking this kid. Success in life is directly associated with grammar, spelling and vocabulary. To think otherwise is ignorant.

If you truly wanted to help this young person you would have a greater interest in telling him the truth than defending a foolish position. Do you want this young man to have more opportunities in his life? As a hunter and a gun owner do you want him to be able to communicate intelligently about issues that are important to us?

If you truly had an interest in helping this young person you would emphasize the importance of these things to him. So what is more important? Being straight with this kid or your need to be right? I'm predicting that your need to be right has this kid going under the bus every time.

• Like 1

Well, you know what they say about people who live in glass houses ..... lol. If we are going to equate mis-spelling (or politely referred to as "typos") to intelligence then I think we all just took a slap to the face.

This one is flying over your head because you are not looking at context.

A typo is a single mistake. This kid demonstrates a weakness in grammar and spelling across all of his posts. He's also talking about debating a teacher and looking at him "like he was stupid."

You are also making a leap with the glass house remark. Basic grammar and spelling goes a long way in life. Again, this is not a thread about how his day in the woods turned out. It is a serious thread about a debate topic that is also a national issue. He would benefit greatly from mastering the use of the English language.

I know I do not want my kid writing like that - do you?

The points here were made to help this young man. No one is attacking this kid. Success in life is directly associated with grammar, spelling and vocabulary. To think otherwise is ignorant.

If you truly wanted to help this young person you would have a greater interest in telling him the truth than defending a foolish position. Do you want this young man to have more opportunities in his life? As a hunter and a gun owner do you want him to be able to communicate intelligently about issues that are important to us?

If you truly had an interest in helping this young person you would emphasize the importance of these things to him. So what is more important? Being straight with this kid or your need to be right? I'm predicting that your need to be right has this kid going under the bus every time.

this is a rant not directed at the OP

in my profession simply misusing their, they're or there; or even more commonly your and you're will lose you instant credibility with those you're communicating with. Trying not to go on a large rant but some of the posts i read on facebook by the younger generations blow my mind and I'm only 29. Those ranting and raving about some candidate's an idiot and their post is riddled with typos. The same people are then upset they're still working at Target and blame the economy for their misfortunes. The common rebuttal is "grammar nazi this is facebook; who cares?" well type like you do all day and see if it doesn't start becoming part of your normal style while communicating via email at work.

I suggest you guys use firefox. autospell check :)

Get_a_brain_morans_330px.jpg

Wouldn't it have been better to just PM Robinson rather than hammer away at him in posts ?

One could have done that couldn't one ! :gamer:

Nope. He asked for an opinion on the subject and I gave it.

I was not the only one. PMing him would have been useless because nobody else would have seen it. I took the initiative and others also stepped up, possibly after seeing my note on it. Now he knows that at least three people have commented on the fact he needs better command of the English language. It may just be what it takes to get the ball rolling to fix an area of weakness.

Instead of downplaying a weakness as a "typo" or other slight of finger malfunction, step up to the plate and be a change agent for the kid to better himself in the long run. Sure, it may seem like a trivial thing; however, big picture thinking shows that college grads or trade workers fresh out of training need every advantage they can get. It is a dog-eat-dog world right now, and I'd hate to see him screw up an interview because he "leaded" a project in school or apprenticeship rather than "led."

Or, just sweep it under the rug.

Funny, not too long ago I commented on a young hunter's grammar, or lack thereof and how using punctuation could help others understand and help in his search for help.

I was warmly welcomed by the anti-grammar nazi police to leave the kid alone and that this is a hunting forum giving the notion it was ok.

I'm glad people are pointing out that even in a hunting forum, poor grammar is not excusable when attempting to communicate in an educated fashion.

this is a rant not directed at the OP

in my profession simply misusing their, they're or there; or even more commonly your and you're will lose you instant credibility with those you're communicating with. Trying not to go on a large rant but some of the posts i read on facebook by the younger generations blow my mind and I'm only 29. Those ranting and raving about some candidate's an idiot and their post is riddled with typos. The same people are then upset they're still working at Target and blame the economy for their misfortunes. The common rebuttal is "grammar nazi this is facebook; who cares?" well type like you do all day and see if it doesn't start becoming part of your normal style while communicating via email at work.

I suggest you guys use firefox. autospell check :)

Get_a_brain_morans_330px.jpg

i would appreciate it if you wouldn't post pics of me on here.

Well, if you guys are going to begin a campaign on correcting grammer and spelling, you had better get busy, because Robinson's errors pale in the face of many of the posts that I have seen. What the heck, we can fill this whole forum with just correcting each other's presentations of opinions. That sounds like a good use of forum space.

Look, if the sole purpose was some overwhelming need to save this kid from his life-threatening language deficiencies it definitely would have been much better to have done it in a PM instead of trying to do it in the most embarrassing fashion possible.

I think that the kid was unstable and the fact that he used guns does not matter. He probably would have used knives ro some other more violent ways to do the damage he did.

there is no way he could have done that amount of damage with knives. it would only take 2 adults to neutralize him. What he could have done however would be bombs, fire (blocking the exits etc.)

Well, if you guys are going to begin a campaign on correcting grammer and spelling, you had better get busy, because Robinson's errors pale in the face of many of the posts that I have seen. What the heck, we can fill this whole forum with just correcting each other's presentations of opinions. That sounds like a good use of forum space.

Look, if the sole purpose was some overwhelming need to save this kid from his life-threatening language deficiencies it definitely would have been much better to have done it in a PM instead of trying to do it in the most embarrassing fashion possible.

You want a nipple with the bottle? PM him? No, just look at what it did. It brought at least three people to the table who felt the kid could do himself some good by spending a little time in the books.

Oh my, hit the panic button, this forum space will be taken up by grammar correction. Sheesh doc, the sky is falling. Where's the tin foil hat? You remind me of that family member at Christmas, where one thing goes wrong that is not a big deal and that person goes off on a rampage throwing hands up in the air, getting miffed at no big deal, and completely taking the fun and air out of the room.

Go ahead, try to say that what we noted is not useful - you'll only make a fool of yourself some more. Tell the kid grammar is unimportant in life, especially when talking, writing, and interacting with those who hold power positions over you, such as a teacher, potential employer, or current boss.

Again, context seems to float over your head without much trouble. The kid was literally saying a teacher looked stupid while at the same time using improper spelling and grammar. You just don't seem to get it, Doc.

Maybe that's as much of a Doc post as I can muster...

Edited by phade

You want a nipple with the bottle? PM him? No, just look at what it did. It brought at least three people to the table who felt the kid could do himself some good by spending a little time in the books.

Oh my, hit the panic button, this forum space will be taken up by grammar correction. Sheesh doc, the sky is falling. Where's the tin foil hat? You remind me of that family member at Christmas, where one thing goes wrong that is not a big deal and that person goes off on a rampage throwing hands up in the air, getting miffed at no big deal, and completely taking the fun and air out of the room.

Go ahead, try to say that what we noted is not useful - you'll only make a fool of yourself some more. Tell the kid grammar is unimportant in life, especially when talking, writing, and interacting with those who hold power positions over you, such as a teacher, potential employer, or current boss.

Again, context seems to float over your head without much trouble. The kid was literally saying a teacher looked stupid while at the same time using improper spelling and grammar. You just don't seem to get it, Doc.

Maybe that's as much of a Doc post as I can muster...

Nice! you smooth talking devil ... lol. Careful, your personality is showing. I've never heard so much nonsense in my life. If you feel the need to be the forum's grammar police, knock your socks off. I don't think we need your services, but apparently it does something for your ego so do what you think you need to do.

And just to keep your portrayal of my comments as having some semblance of honesty, you will note that I did not "Tell the kid grammar is unimportant in life, especially when talking, writing, and interacting with those who hold power positions over you, such as a teacher, potential employer, or current boss" .... blah ... blah .... blah. If you are going to represent my words, at least do it honestly. And like I said earlier, if your sincere desire is to help the kid, at least have the decency to do in a PM instead of trying to make some public spectacle over it. Just viewing the window into your personality that you just provided, I suspect your real motives were not really all that noble.