semi auto 12ga

TreeGuy

My father has been in the market for an 1100 or 1187 for some time. He placed the research part on me and after handling a few other than remingtons im kind of in a pickle. So, im looking for a bit of advice. He will be using it for turkey and trap ( backyard trap) and loves the ribbed barrels with two beads for sights. He is not stuck on a rem, just familiar with them. So, basically im looking to see who offers a fairly dependable base model semi 12ga that can do 3 1/2's. Used is an option but id rather not go on a goose chase trying to find one. All opinions appreciated!

it really depends on the person, you can't go wrong with either one

I shoot 100's of crows a year, and I prefer a 1100 with wood stocks and a 28" barrell, it's heavy, and helps my swing. the long barrell does nothing for the pattern, however it does help with balence, and I have put 500 to 1,000 rounds through it in a good year

for turkey, I prefer my remington 870 3 1/2" , with a 20" barrell, it's light for walking a long ways

if I could only have 1, it would have to be an 1187 3 1/2"

11/87 3 1/2 guns have a big problem with bending the carrier assembly.The 3 inch guns didnt have that problem that I know of.I have a few friends that are hardcore waterfowlers and they switched from the 1100's/1187's to either a Mossberg 935(1 guy) or a Stoeger 3500(3 guys).Non hae had problems and all love there guns.I would put my cash on a Stoeger but I like pumps for shotguns

Well the mossberg definately felt the best in MY hands but i need to get pops out to handle a few. I was hoping there wasnt gonna be a get this , no dont get this thread....the stoger, if i recall was a close second. Its christmas time and i didnt feel like playing with guns that wont be for me!

I like the 1100 (Quick shouldering)! With a superfull choke, 2 3/4 shells will topple a turkey out to 70yds.

Wow, i just re-read your post... 70 yrds!!?!?! I dont think my father will be able to see a red head that far...lol. but u really think that superfull choke does that good of a job?

treeguy,

you really have to take your dad to see what fits him best

my wife bought me a 3 1/2" benelli for christmas, great gun, just don't fit me so it sits in the safe

I just gave my nephew a moss 835, never really liked it, still a good gun

a well fit gun is like an extension of your arm, and everyone has a little different feel

I also have never shot the browning maxus, but I held one and it felt great, I think that will be my next one

• Like 1

dont buy a mossberg 935!!! i was gonna get one before i got my 930 and the sales guy at gander mountain said" DONT!!!" he said people return them as fast as they buy them (jamming probs)... thats why i went w the 930 even tho it only takes 3in shells...

I had an 935. It patterned great and I bagged a few toms with it. Buuut. The bolt release/tube mag release was a button located on the right side of the receiver, which is where I naturally hold the gun, while carrying it unslung. My hand would sometimes hit that button causing a shell to release from the mag. and get stuck between the bolt and the carrier. Now you have one in the chamber and one stuck under the bolt. It was usually a good 5 minute fix.

I got rid of it and went back to the old 835 pump.

After a lot of research in choosing my first brand new auto loader, I went with an 1187 Supermag. I would have gone the extra $400 for the Versamax, but there are no deer barrels for it yet, and at the time no short turkey barrels either. I have used my 1187 for Turkey, waterfowl, and deer. The only complaint I can give for it was I had to to get a reg shotgun stock dipped, as they didnt make one in the Realtree APG that it came in in the Turkey version. Its never jammed and with a limbsaver, doesnt kick that bad with the turkey loads.

there is a difference in the sportsman and supermag models: supermag will handle 3.5 inch shells for loose shot. both will only shoot a 3 inch slug, not a 3.5 inch, just to be clear.

After a lot of research in choosing my first brand new auto loader, I went with an 1187 Supermag. I would have gone the extra $400 for the Versamax, but there are no deer barrels for it yet, and at the time no short turkey barrels either. I have used my 1187 for Turkey, waterfowl, and deer. The only complaint I can give for it was I had to to get a reg shotgun stock dipped, as they didnt make one in the Realtree APG that it came in in the Turkey version. Its never jammed and with a limbsaver, doesnt kick that bad with the turkey loads.

there is a difference in the sportsman and supermag models: supermag will handle 3.5 inch shells for loose shot. both will only shoot a 3 inch slug, not a 3.5 inch, just to be clear.

When they start making a 3.5 slug, ill be trading in my 870.....

I have had Remington semi-autos most of my life..I've had 11-48s in 28 and 16 gauge, 1100s in 20 gauge and 12 gauge, and an 1187 in 12 gauge. They were all solid, dependable guns.

One 1100 and the 11-87 are chambered for 3" shells. I have never felt that the extra shot in a 3.5" shell was worth the extra recoil and expense. I have shot plenty of turkeys and geese alongside guys who shot 3.5" guns and my 3" guns killed them just as far away...At least as far away as I ever needed to shoot them.

When I started goose and turkey hunting in the 60s, a 2 3/4" 12 gauge was the norm...3" guns soon became common...Then steel shot became mandatory for waterfowl, and due to the pathetic early steel shot loads, the 3.5" 12 was developed..

Well, turkeys and geese have not become any tougher over the years. 2 3/4 " and 3" lead loads are more than adequate for turkeys at any reasonable range, and modern non toxic shells in 2 3/4" or 3" will kill waterfowl at ranges approaching the old lead shot ranges...

Just an old fart's opinion, based on killing over a hundred turkeys and probably a couple hundred geese..

I have had Remington semi-autos most of my life..I've had 11-48s in 28 and 16 gauge, 1100s in 20 gauge and 12 gauge, and an 1187 in 12 gauge. They were all solid, dependable guns.

One 1100 and the 11-87 are chambered for 3" shells. I have never felt that the extra shot in a 3.5" shell was worth the extra recoil and expense. I have shot plenty of turkeys and geese alongside guys who shot 3.5" guns and my 3" guns killed them just as far away...At least as far away as I ever needed to shoot them.

When I started goose and turkey hunting in the 60s, a 2 3/4" 12 gauge was the norm...3" guns soon became common...Then steel shot became mandatory for waterfowl, and due to the pathetic early steel shot loads, the 3.5" 12 was developed..

Well, turkeys and geese have not become any tougher over the years. 2 3/4 " and 3" lead loads are more than adequate for turkeys at any reasonable range, and modern non toxic shells in 2 3/4" or 3" will kill waterfowl at ranges approaching the old lead shot ranges...

Just an old fart's opinion, based on killing over a hundred turkeys and probably a couple hundred geese..

Not surprisingly I agree with this! No fly's on almost any Remington semi auto. I have a 3.5" 12 ga Benelli that I bought when I was hunting geese quite a bit. I thought it'd be the cats azz for both the geese and spring gobblers. Well, it did work great for the big honkers and the turkey but I soon after quit hunting geese. Each year ts continues to hit the spring woods and collect a bird or two. Is the 3.5" needed? No, but I have the room in the chamber and my pockets so I stuff it accordingly. If I was doing it over, I'd stick with the 3" chambered.

IMG_0888.jpg

Well, he wont be using it for geese, prob ever and i am the one telling him to go for the 3.5. Half the reason for the semi is to reduce the felt recoil on the old timers shoulders... but it chambers 2 3/4 so he can just shoot them! Besides, i know a 2 3/4 or 3 will do the job on any tom.... but i like the big booom . I agree with everybody that its prob overkill, i just liked him having the option. He currently uses a 3.5 single shot 10ga for turkey, so through the semi a 3.5 should be a bit nicer on kick. Ill check back next weekend and let you know how his shoulder feels ;)