New rifle choices?

Not what you ask for, but I'm getting a Savage .17 HMR bolt action, this is the only rifle I can use on the state land in CT for the Jan/Feb hunting of yotes and coons, very flat shooting too....

I have a Savage 93R17. Love that gun. Tell me how it works out for you for yotes. I'm trying to gather as many opinions on it's performance on yotes.

Thumb hole stocks sure look cool (UGHH!!) but it can work agaist you in a situation where you MIGHT have to become a switch hitter. If it is a right handed (most likely) stock, shoulder one against your left shoulder and try and get to the trigger. Not too easy. I'm a lefty but have killed more than a few deer right handed with my guns with traditional stocks. Just something to chew on.........

Well I do have a 30-06 I was looking for something smaller but still effective.

I'm looking into a couple nice Savage Arms due to the fact I love the accutrigger reveiws and the few savage arms rifles I have are great and i've never had problems with them.

I hunted with a 30-06 for years and the round speaks for itself. I switched to a 7mm-08 a while back and I love it. A little bit lighter gun with lighter recoil and just as kick a$$ on deer (at the ranges I hunt anyway) So far the longest shot I have taken with it was on opening day this year, at about 200 yrds. and it was no problem. The deer pretty much went nowhere. Only draw back I can think of is ammo can be a little pricey and hard to find unless, of course you reload,

Thumb hole stocks sure look cool (UGHH!!) but it can work agaist you in a situation where you MIGHT have to become a switch hitter. If it is a right handed (most likely) stock, shoulder one against your left shoulder and try and get to the trigger. Not too easy. I'm a lefty but have killed more than a few deer right handed with my guns with traditional stocks. Just something to chew on.........

X2

I'm not a big fan of thumbhole stocks, but that is purely personal preference. I prefer a classic stock...I don't care for synthetics, but I do like the brown laminates. My Win M70 lightweight .280 has a classic style brown laminate stock and I always thought it was pretty.

Feels like WOOD, too, rather than tupperware.

I'm not a big fan of thumbhole stocks, but that is purely personal preference. I prefer a classic stock...I don't care for synthetics, but I do like the brown laminates. My Win M70 lightweight .280 has a classic style brown laminate stock and I always thought it was pretty.

Feels like WOOD, too, rather than tupperware.

I 2nd the classic look. Wood stock and blued steel all the way. But yeah its a personal thing.

I 2nd the classic look. Wood stock and blued steel all the way. But yeah its a personal thing.

Geeze, Ants...It sounds like you and I are pretty compatible...

You're not FEMALE by any chance, are you ??

Probably not..The good ones are all married, pregnant, or MALE...<< SIGH >>...

you will hear a lot of people put down the 243 for deer I have taken many deer with one and can tell you that the 243 will take down any deer easy out to 300 yards and then some. I have taken many with an 06 ,280 ,7mm08 And the 243 will kill them just as fast . I loaded my with 105 grains boat tail and when you hit a deer they went down.I will tell you this , that 243 is a fast bullet and when hitting a deer it can mess up some meat with a lot of blood.

I agree with what pigmy said about recoil. Chuck hawks has a nice compaitive table regarding recoil: http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

If recoil is an issue and you want to shoot the 270 Winchester, 130 grain loads would be best. 270's shooting 130's have cleanly taken a lot of deer at long rangeand short.. I shoot mostly 150's but recoil isn't an issue for me.

Going to 260 Winchester, 257 Roberts and 25-06 6.5X 55Swede are all good options for lower recoil. I've heard some great things about the 6.5 X 65 Swede buy I'm not sure if it is chambered in any current production rifles.

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-mountain-lss.aspx

I have this rifle in an 30/06.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=001B&cid=035&tid=009

I have this rifle in a .270.

I do a lot of mountain hunting and walk a lot. Both of these rifles are very light. I have had extensive gunsmith work done to the Remington. The Browning has had the trigger stoned, polished and lightened. The Browning was an out of the box tack driver.

My270 Win browning was a tack driver since day one: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=001B&cid=035&tid=017

My experience with the Remingtons 7600's was a little different . My remington 7600's in 270 Win did not print great groups with factory ammunition. Ininitally only 2.5 - 3.5-inch goups at 100 yards. I had to increase cartridge overall length to reduce the bullet jump to the rifling lands to 15 - 20 mils using and OAL guage. Then the groups improved to 1.0 - 1.5-inch. They are a great rifle for woods hunting. One had a great trigger but one had to worked by a gunsmith to bring it in to about 2.5 - 3 pounds (was over 5 pounds to begin with and had excessive play).

http://www.remington.com/en/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/pump-action-model-7600.aspx

I am in the same hunt! I am looking for that rifle I will use till I no longer hunt and hand down to my son. Primarily deer but maybe hogs down south, maybe even something bigger. I do have a cheaper Remington in 7mm mag that shoots well for big big stuff.

I have come to the conclusion the 7-08 is the caliber I want.

Some of my options:

http://www.tikka.fi/...php?laminatedss

This is leaning to the top of my list.

http://www.tcarms.co...rms/venture.php

I did have this gun up there but they had a huge recall issue on this gun and that does not make me feel warm and fuzzy.

http://www.weatherby...guard_2/package

Not sure about packages but thought this was a good deal.

I have not made up my mind yet and am reading everyones opinions with interest.

Thanks

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

If you guys have time post some links of some good looking rifles I know there tons out there but hey.. Throw some ideas around. Wouldn't mind seeing what one of you would pick out I might even go with it.

Thats just one rifle I was looking at. Im in no rush.

Im set for rifles but if I were in the market I would take a hard look at the Savage American classic. Google it. Its a gorgeous rifle.

Fletch, Those are three great choices. I own a walnut stocked Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06, and its a tack driver. It came with a target fired by the rifle to verify the groupings are .5 inches or less. Its a wonderrful rifle. Anything made by Thompson has got to be great. I hear the Thompson ventures guanantee 1 minite of arc accuracy. Tikka has a great reputation. I would probably go with the Weatherby Vanguard or the Thompson Venture. I'm understand that S&W the new owner has cleared up the recall issue.