Anyone planning on getting rid of their "AR" defined guns now

I've only shot mine a handful of times since I've moved back to NY 10 years ago. When I lived in VA, I shot it all the time, but just haven't here, for whatever reason. It is a compact firearm and is the one I opt to use for my home protection. It operates off of a Glock clip and I invested in some bigger mags that are now being forced out of use.

A few people I know who are older (50s) have stated they may sell their AR defined guns before needing to register them, as they're getting older and not using them as much, and don't want to be bothered with the debacle. On one level, I understand them. On the other, it seems like they are resigned to their fate, and are not interested in spending their time, money, etc. to keep their arms and also trying to support the fight against the recent political movements. They're in areas where politicians voted Nay for the bills.

For the first time, I thought about getting rid of mine, and maybe buying a home protection revolver with the proceeds. I really dislike revolvers (just a personal preference), but seems like that it is about the only thing that is not getting hammered at (right now). Obviously both are register required, but I think the screws will keep getting tightened on the semi/AR style weapons first before revolvers, unless some nut goes on a rampage with one and a handful of speed loaders.

Are they legal to sell now? I think if you no longer want any of your guns that fall into the assault weapons legal definitions, you have to destroy them, turn them in to the authorities, or sell them out-of-state. Even without registration being set up yet, I believe all the other areas of the new law are enacted and in force as of the day of the signing.

Are they legal to sell now? I think if you no longer want any of your guns that fall into the assault weapons legal definitions, you have to destroy them, turn them in to the authorities, or sell them out-of-state. Even without registration being set up yet, I believe all the other areas of the new law are enacted and in force as of the day of the signing.

Selling it out of state is not hard at all. My particular model is in high demand, and one I could likely sell used for more money than I paid for it new.

I'll be honest here, most of you don't know what you say actually means. I do.

At one point years ago, I had a firearms posession issue pop up, where I was guilty of said act through ignorance on my part not knowing the laws when I relocated to NY from VA. The only thing that kept me from doing a mandatory several years sentence was the discretion of the sheriff. My life flashed before me real fast. I'm not about to go through that again. Your perspective changes when you have handcuffs on.

• Like 2

At last, someone who has put the proper perspective to all these posts of false bravado, in a factual fashion that maybe will sink in. Unless you are a street hardened criminal accustomed to such things, I would suspect that a pair of handcuffs and the prospect of some time in jail with some big grinning greasy-looking fella, might change some of that tough talk.

I think I know what I'm saying. But I'm not turning in the guns my grandfather used in WW2 or the ones he took home as spoils of war. I'm not turning in the gun my father used in Korea. I will leave the state first. For the time being I will not use them in state. I have removed them from the walls and put them in the safe. If needed I will store them with relatives out of state.

Edited by mmkay

I think I know what I'm saying. But I'm not turning in the guns my grandfather used in WW2 or the ones he took home as spoils of war. I'm not turning in the gun my father used in Korea. I will leave the state first. For the time being I will not use them in state. I have removed them from the walls and put them in the safe. If needed I will store them with relatives out of state.

As long as they are 50 years old, they are considered relics and not covered by the ban.

That is what I ended up doing with the items that got me in hot water.

At last, someone who has put the proper perspective to all these posts of false bravado, in a factual fashion that maybe will sink in. Unless you are a street hardened criminal accustomed to such things, I would suspect that a pair of handcuffs and the prospect of some time in jail with some big grinning greasy-looking fella, might change some of that tough talk.

Lol your talking about someone who hasn't broken the law ofcourse they wouldnt want to be in handcuffs.

NY is the ONLY state being ran like this and all the easy going give your guns up kind of people is making it so easy for them. No wonder the south laughs at us and wont do business with NY.

Lol your talking about someone who hasn't broken the law ofcourse they wouldnt want to be in handcuffs.

NY is the ONLY state being ran like this and all the easy going give your guns up kind of people is making it so easy for them. No wonder the south laughs at us and wont do business with NY.

Don't get me wrong...I don't agree with the new laws (or NY's gun laws in general). In fact, I think they are ridiculous, save for the mental health components. I support the politicians who vote against it, and thankfully, my state reps voted Nay. I've voiced my concerns to action groups, etc.

I draw the line when I'm in handcuffs, looking at a mandatory minimum several year long sentence for a simple violation via ignorance (and not a known, willing, culpable crime). I have a family now, a career, and I intend not to put them through such a situation. I'll continue to support pro-gun groups and politics. But, I draw the line at becoming a felon with the prospect of ruining my family's life.

I grew up in the South in arguably the most gun friendly state on the east coast. They aren't laughing; they're sad for us. Big difference.

Don't own one, just some handguns and mags that will be an issue, well the mags anyway. A ton of guys on the job have them, a felony means we lose our job as well,( even if one manages to stay out of jail) .

I know some who say F it,I'm keeping it all. A couple drywalled up the 30 rounders , some are moving things to friends and parents out of state , till they can join them there in a few years.

One is selling off a bunch of stuff and buying a 1,911 .45

I may have to switch what I carry, but not what I own.

I'm kicking myself for not picking up a new rifle , I've been dilly dallying for weeks. Know how it's feels to want something more when you know you can't have it?

Same...I can't pick up the DPMS Panther I was settling in on now. Kind of bummed about it.

For once my timing was right (or at least I still feel that way), as I was considering buying an AR for a year or so and I purchased a Smith and Wesson M & P the saturday before election day. I was worried about Obama's 2nd term agenda if he got reelected. At the time I wasn't worried about Cuomo.

As much as I want to say "I won't do it", I will most certainly register it when the system is set up to do so. I couldn't imagine being arrested and jailed. If I was, it would be for not registering, not because I own an AR. And then they'll take all of my guns anyways, and I would have given them the perfect reason to do it. I will not fall into that trap and let them win the easy way.

I've signed every petition I've seen and I feel the legal wrangling wil take quite some time to iron itself out over this middle of the night travesty. I'll stay out of jail and live to fight another day - through the legal system.

And now that I've got the AR all decked out the way I want it, I must say that I love it. I mostly bought it for hunting coyotes, so in that situation, 5 rounds was my limit anyway.

Edited by Steuben Jerry