First deer on my wall

blackradio

Got this buck last day of shotgun this past season. My second buck. I shot a bigger one in the 2011 season but that's still at the taxidermist getting a shoulder mount. So here's the first deer on my wall. Didn't cost a dime. The taxidermist fleshed it out and kept the hide and cut the skull for me. I cleaned it up and all that and made a plaque out of scrap pine at my job. I like how it looks. 1st of many.

100_1439_zps2ad604f7.jpg

100_1438_zpsc722335d.jpg

101_1196_zps1d6c79a2.jpg

Edited by blackradio
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, I kinda wish I kept the hide an tanned it myself because it was a beautiful deer. But i really just didn't have the time or knowledge to do it myself and since the taxidermist was going to flesh it and cut the skull for me I thought why not. I'll do some research this year and try my hand at tanning when I get another deer.

I'm glad you guys pointed it out that this was a true euro. I didn't even notice when I first replied.

So today it had motivated me to get out and clean up one of the dead buck skulls I chopped off a few weeks ago.

I think this technique is going to be a lot simpler and easier than the traditional full skull mounts. One things for sure, after getting the skull capped length-wise, it sure does make access to the eye sockets and brain cavity a piece of cake, especially to a do-it-yourselfer without a beetle colony to do the work for him.

So far, so good.... I hope mine turns out half as nice as yours blackradio!

• Like 1