Let's throw some gas on the fire - MI Report

phade

Take the string from the crossbow... doesn't shoot.

Take the sting from the longbow or compound... doesn't shoot

Take the arrow from the crossbow... doesn't shoot

Take the arrow from the longbow or compound... doesn't shoot

Take the string and arrow from a gun... oh no... I can't seem to find the string and arrow... can't be right... I've been told how much a crossbow is like a gun... there must be a string and arrow somewhere.. I'll keep looking while you fellas debate which is the best dictionary to use to make your point.. :sarcastic:

Funny stuff .... lol. But you didn't finish it:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take the bipod off the bow ..... Well, that rifle and that crossbow have one, but I can't find it on the bow.

Take the stock off the bow ..... That's funny, I don't see that either.

What no trigger or safety on this "bow"? ..... Oh, that's right there's nothing to mount it on.

Ok let's benchrest this bow on that fallen log over there. .... What? You can't do that. That's too bad, I can do that all day long with my crossbow and rifle.

Love this nice 4x scope. I wonder how I can stick that on that bow over there .... sure would be nice to have a stock to mount that on.

I don't understand why they have come up with all these neat accessories for crossbows and nobody has figured out how to attach them to a bow. Geez, they've had these things for rifles for years.

What? Draw that bow while there is actually a deer there? .... Hah, don't have to with my crossbow. Pretty much like my rifle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well anyway, I hope you didn't mind me adding a few thoughts on the end of your list. It just didn't seem quite complete. Now back to the guys arguing about their dictionaries.

Thought I'd lighten things up a bit.. fasteddie seemed bored..lol

Personally my dear , errrr nyantler , I don't give a damn !

I don't support cross bows but someone using one won't affect me as they wouldn't be on the property that I hunt on .

• Like 1

Funny stuff .... lol. But you didn't finish it:

Take the bipod off the bow ..... Well, that rifle and that crossbow have one, but I can't find it on the bow.

Take the stock off the bow ..... That's funny, I don't see that either.

What no trigger or safety on this "bow"? ..... Oh, that's right there's nothing to mount it on.

Ok let's benchrest this bow on that fallen log over there. .... What? You can't do that. That's too bad, I can do that all day long with my crossbow and rifle.

Love this nice 4x scope. I wonder how I can stick that on that bow over there .... sure would be nice to have a stock to mount that on.

I don't understand why they have come up with all these neat accessories for crossbows and nobody has figured out how to attach them to a bow. Geez, they've had these things for rifles for years.

What? Draw that bow while there is actually a deer there? .... Hah, don't have to with my crossbow. Pretty much like my rifle.

Well anyway, I hope you didn't mind me adding a few thoughts on the end of your list. It just didn't seem quite complete. Now back to the guys arguing about their dictionaries.

I actually thought of all those things.. but decided that none of them kept the weapon from working... except the trigger which can be found on a gun, a bow release and a crossbow. All the things you mentioned that can be found on a crossbow are absolutely worthless without the string and the arrow... and the only other weapons that have that in common with the crossbow are the other archery related weapons. How we get to the point where the arrow takes flight doesn't really matter... what matters is that it is an arrow propelled by a string that penetrates using a cutting edge to cause sufficient bleeding to kill an animal... a gun uses a blunt projectile that uses shocking power to deliver the trauma sufficient to kill the animal... there is nothing at all similar about the power of a gun vs a crossbow... where a crossbow and other archery equipment offer similar range and impact... I am convinced that your rifle and a crossbow are so much NOT alike that I would let you shoot a crossbow at me from 150 yards, I would not do the same with a rifle.

I actually thought of all those things.. but decided that none of them kept the weapon from working... except the trigger which can be found on a gun, a bow release and a crossbow. All the things you mentioned that can be found on a crossbow are absolutely worthless without the string and the arrow... and the only other weapons that have that in common with the crossbow are the other archery related weapons. How we get to the point where the arrow takes flight doesn't really matter... what matters is that it is an arrow propelled by a string that penetrates using a cutting edge to cause sufficient bleeding to kill an animal... a gun uses a blunt projectile that uses shocking power to deliver the trauma sufficient to kill the animal... there is nothing at all similar about the power of a gun vs a crossbow... where a crossbow and other archery equipment offer similar range and impact... I am convinced that your rifle and a crossbow are so much NOT alike that I would let you shoot a crossbow at me from 150 yards, I would not do the same with a rifle.

Just like rifle vs. shotgun?

I acknowledge your opinion, but wow, talk about being out of touch with reality. I wouldn't let anyone shoot a crossbow at me at 150 yards. That's just plain silly. I think that speaks volume for the weight your opinion should carry from here on out on any post on any topic. Really. There are kids on this forum for Pete's sake. Poor demonstration of judgement; you should be ashamed, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by phade

Just like rifle vs. shotgun?

I acknowledge your opinion, but wow, talk about being out of touch with reality. I wouldn't let anyone shoot a crossbow at me at 150 yards. That's just plain silly. I think that speaks volume for the weight your opinion should carry from here on out on any post on any topic. Really. There are kids on this forum for Pete's sake.

What? You never saw a guy grab an arrow out of the air fired by a bow? Lighten up Francis... I was making a point and a good one at that... the reality is I couldn't care less what you think of my opinion.. thats why it's my opinion and not yours... I'm sure the kids are a bit more intelligent and will get the point that was being made without having to shoot each other up with arrows and the adults I'm sure will also.. but you obviously are having a bit of trouble... maybe you have a bit more growing up to do.

Man Seeks Title for Catching the Most Arrows Mid-air (video)

Edited by nyantler

What? You never saw a guy grab an arrow out of the air fired by a bow? Lighten up Francis... I was making a point and a good one at that... the reality is I couldn't care less what you think of my opinion.. thats why it's my opinion and not yours... I'm sure the kids are a bit more intelligent and will get the point that was being made without having to shoot each other up with arrows and the adults I'm sure will also.. but you obviously are having a bit of trouble... maybe you have a bit more growing up to do.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You talk about me growing up, but I'm not the one promoting someone shooting at you with an xbow on a public forum with kids on it. I don't think it needs further rationalization by you at all; it speaks for itself given the context.

There is an old saying... "Do what you want, you will anyways".. you're gonna see it anyway you want.. I see it differently.. Go cry to somebody else and scold someone that cares... I don't.

No problem. Your colors show through in your own words.

Lol .... I thought you were just going for a little comedic relief. I never thought you were really trying to make some kind of serious point. I mean if it wasn't meant to be funny, then it is all quite silly and irrelevant. But then most of this thread falls under that category, doesn't it? See, the problem with you guys is that you actually think you are going to change someone's opinion ..... lol. After all the volumes on this subject that have been written on this forum over the past couple of years, you don't really believe that anyone is seriously going to change their opinion do you? And if you don't believe you will change anyone's mind, then why are you wasting your time. It's all become like summer re-runs now anyway. There hasn't been a new point brought up on this subject in two years. Repeating the same nonsense over and over doesn't make any of it any more factual does it?

By the way, what is this nonsense about you letting people shoot at you with a crossbow? Are you nuts?

Lol .... I thought you were just going for a little comedic relief. I never thought you were really trying to make some kind of serious point. I mean if it wasn't meant to be funny, then it is all quite silly and irrelevant. But then most of this thread falls under that category, doesn't it? See, the problem with you guys is that you actually think you are going to change someone's opinion ..... lol. After all the volumes on this subject that have been written on this forum over the past couple of years, you don't really believe that anyone is seriously going to change their opinion do you? And if you don't believe you will change anyone's mind, then why are you wasting your time. It's all become like summer re-runs now anyway. There hasn't been a new point brought up on this subject in two years. Repeating the same nonsense over and over doesn't make any of it any more factual does it?

By the way, what is this nonsense about you letting people shoot at you with a crossbow? Are you nuts?

Not you too! I was making a point... of all people I thought you would have gotten it...I'm pretty sure that I don't have to let someone shoot a crossbow at me to get the point across...

I'm not trying to change anyones mind.. its just about offering another side of the arguement for conversation... usually for those that might be on the fence and haven't thought it through like some of us already have.

What? You never saw a guy grab an arrow out of the air fired by a bow? Lighten up Francis... I was making a point and a good one at that...

rifle and crossbow isn't as fair as shotgun (slug) vs crossbow. Can I shoot this one at you at 150yards?

What if I used compressed air to propel the bolt? Can that be allowed in archery? All I'm doing is pulling the trigger and out comes the bolt. Is it really that different than a crossbow?

(it's funny how the poster classifies this as a crossbow in his comments)

i've had people sway me on subjects I dont feel strongly about. and of course there are the fence sitters. Honestly though? I'm just in it to kill some time haha.

Edited by Belo

What if I used compressed air to propel the bolt? Can that be allowed in archery? All I'm doing is pulling the trigger and out comes the bolt. Is it really that different than a crossbow?

You are no longer using a string and limbs to propel the arrow. Air guns are already classified as guns. Not a good comparison at all.

I Just went through the regulations...that airgun/bolt shooter...may fall into a grey area/between the floor boards (sorta speak)for use in a gun season...help me out looking at this ...but it may actually be legal in NYS??....it does not use an explosive propellent....The arrow would travel at the required speeds...As far as caliber..... are the DEC regulations stating just the caliber of the guns barrel or that of the projectile used?...in the definition of caliber wouldn't an arrow fit that requirement? I'm asking questions here...

Webster's Online Dictionary

with Multilingual Thesaurus Translation

Earth's largest dictionary with more than 1226 modern languages and Eve!

Definition: CALIBER

Part of Speech Definition Noun 1. A degree or grade of excellence or worth; "an executive of low caliber".[Wordnet]

2. Diameter of a tube or gun barrel.[Wordnet]

3. Alt. of Calibre.[Websters].

Sources: WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) Top

"Caliber" is a common misspelling or typo for: calibre, calibers.

Date "Caliber" was first used in popular English literature: sometime before 1567. (references)

Specialty Definition: CALIBER

Domain Definition Aerospace Degree of mental capacity or degree of excellence or importance. () Environment The minimum diameter of the bore of a firearm, and therefore the diameter of the projectile it fires; also used to describe the length of a cannon, expressed as a multiple of its diameter. (references) Geology Caliber refers the cross-sectional area, usually referring to a blood vessel. (references)

Source: compiled by the editor from various references; see credits. Top

<a name="CExpression">

Edited by growalot

You are no longer using a string and limbs to propel the arrow. Air guns are already classified as guns. Not a good comparison at all.

Oh I understand, but if you watch both videos. What is really sooo different? both do not require drawing, both have scopes and triggers, both are quite and neither use an explosive propellent.

Let me ask you this, for arguments sakes. crossbows become legal, and its determined this gun has the same reach as compound or crossbow. Then someone wanted these to be included in the archery season; would you be in favor or opposed?

I already said what is different. A bow of any type basically has 3 things in common. 1 they all fire arrows tipped with a broadhead. 2 they all have limbs that put the string under tension. 3 the arrow is fired off of a string.

I would be in opposition to an air gun during archery season, as it is no sort of bow. Now if you want to come up with some other sort of bow that shoots an arrow tipped with a broadhead off of a string put under tension of limbs, and its just as capable of killing a deer as one of the other types of bows, then sure, include it.

I would be in opposition to an air gun during archery season, as it is no sort of bow. Now if you want to come up with some other sort of bow that shoots an arrow tipped with a broadhead off of a string put under tension of limbs, and its just as capable of killing a deer as one of the other types of bows, then sure, include it.

but I thought it was nobodies business what I use to hunt? Why can't I use the airgun? It doesn't affect you right?

And btw, compounds and other vertical bows are perfectly capable of using a magnified scope and compounds are normally fired with a trigger, its just called a release. Crossbows do, in fact, required being drawn.

I don't know anyone who shoots over 40 with a scope on their compound, I'm sure there is, but that's a stretch. And while yes you do need to draw a crossbow, it can stay drawn, or you can buy an xbow that draws for you...

I can shoot farther with my (compound) bow than I can with my .45 Colt. I'm all for allowing revolvers during archery season too. :spiteful: Not really, but that should get some sparks flying. B)

I'm not even entertaining that

Edited by Belo

They actually take longer to draw and load than a vertical bow

Now that was a serious ? I had in my last post...(about the airgun arrow slinger)

I dont know the answer. It just goes to further prove that nothing is 100% fact, and until we do away with hunting regulations there will always be some gray areas.