Preferred shotgun sabot?

SuperMag

It could have also been the old, original SSTs, which had a hard polymer tip, and sometimes didnt expand if they didnt hit bone. The newer ones have a softer tip, causing better, faster expansion without hitting bone. I dont remember when it was they changed them.

This must be it. I'm 100% they were the SST because the hunter dropping off his deer was bitching about them. There was barely a blood trail. They had that red tip. It was in the shoulder, with no expansion. I will try them out maybe this year. I love my lightfields just hate how after 100 yards they really drop and slow, just don't trust them after 120 yards

If you dont want to use the SSTs, Remington has their version that is constructed similarly, and gets really good reviews. Its called the premier accutip. They arent quite as fast as the SSTs if I remember correctly.

You are correct.  But the slugs are different weights.   12ga. SST's are 300gr. at 2,000fps at muzzle,  12ga. Rem. acutips are 385gr. at 1,850fps at muzzle.

You are correct.  But the slugs are different weights.   12ga. SST's are 300gr. at 2,000fps at muzzle,  12ga. Rem. acutips are 385gr. at 1,850fps at muzzle.

What I would love to try would be to run the Accutips in my muzzle loader to see how they do against the SSTs I currently use. I havent found a source for the Accutip bullets though.

• Like 1

btw, i hear people mispronounce the term sabot all the time. It's french and the T is silent (saboohhh). Just some friendly advice from your resident grammar police trying to help you all look and sound smarter :)

When in Rome, do as the Romans do...

SO, here in the foothills of the Appallachians, despite knowing proper pronunciation, a sabot will remain a " SABBIT"..

Also, a creek will remain a " CRIK " and those good riflescopes will remain a " LEE-a- pold"....

That way my buddies, friends and neighbors will know what I am talking about.<<grin>>....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

Well i finally got up to camp a couple weekends ago. Didn't change slugs but i did change my rifled sights on my fully rifled barrel. Had tru glos on there and absolutely hated them. Changed them back to the original remington ones. Should have never put the tru glos on there. Oh well, live and learn. But anyway i put the remington ones back on where i thought they should be and to my surprise the first shot out of the lead sled with no adjustment to the sights yet was dead on. I couldn't believe it because the tru glo sat much higher on the ramp than the remington one does. So i shot it free hand without the sled and it was dead on. I was very happy with this. I also suggest trying out the lead sled to whoever is thinking about getting one.

Edited by SuperMag

When in Rome, do as the Romans do...

SO, here in the foothills of the Appallachians, despite knowing proper pronunciation, a sabot will remain a " SABBIT"..

Also, a creek will remain a " CRIK " and those good riflescopes will remain a " LEE-a- pold"....

That way my buddies, friends and neighbors will know what I am talking about.<<grin>>....

haha forgot about about luepold. I've heard Rappala's pronounced as "rapella" a lot as well.

nope. i received a kit for christmas many years ago with a vhs in it. I watched it and they pronounce it "rap-a-la" haha. I was like "hey dad we've been calling these the wrong thing for years". He told me he didn't care and continues to call them "ra-pel-a" Check out their channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Rapala

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

Lightfield Hybred 2 3/4, 1 1/4 oz sabots are fantastic out of my 1187.

The last 18 deer I have killed with the 1187 were all one shot kills, but only 2 dropped in their tracks. The rest of them ran off 50 yds or so before dying. All deer were lung shots.

Lightfields are very accurate, and hit hard but I think they don't expand as well as they should. But I will keep using them, they shoot the best out of my 1187.

I bought a case of them at $7.99 per box about 1998 and still have them.

Cusehunter, when you processed deer and examined the SST's, did they happen to have bent over tips, where as the tip on one side folded into the hollow point section to close the hollow point to prevent it from opening and mushrooming? I have seen this phenomenon happen a few times with a few plastic tipped bullets and was wondering if the SST's might have the same characteristic as well at times. Back a few years ago I tried them and depending on the lot they were pretty accurate,less than 2" or 3 - 4" groups but I heard that they change something in the loading and haven't checked them out in about 3 years. They look like a decent long range slug.

Cusehunter, when you processed deer and examined the SST's, did they happen to have bent over tips, where as the tip on one side folded into the hollow point section to close the hollow point to prevent it from opening and mushrooming? I have seen this phenomenon happen a few times with a few plastic tipped bullets and was wondering if the SST's might have the same characteristic as well at times. Back a few years ago I tried them and depending on the lot they were pretty accurate,less than 2" or 3 - 4" groups but I heard that they change something in the loading and haven't checked them out in about 3 years. They look like a decent long range slug.

To be honest I can not remember the specifics. I just was amazed to find the slug all in tact and not mushroomed at all. I should have loaded it in a ML sabot and shot it :P