Stihl Chain Saw

I have a Poulon chain saw that I bought about 20 years ago and it's okay but I thought I would upgrade . I just bought a Stihl 16" MS 180 C . It is has a 31.8 CC engine . Bought the saw , case , 6 pack of synthetic oil and extra chain .

I plan to help my son cut and clear some trees on my SILs property in Geneseo and thought a new saw might be just the ticket . I checked reviews on various saw models and brands and this saw seemed to come out on top . I expect to put it to the test in the next couple of weeks .

Does anyone own one of these saws ?

I think the Stihl saw my son has is a 20" model . I'll leave the bigger stuff for him to cut .

post-132-0-42691600-1362594873_thumb.png

I have one just like that,lasted about 3 years,it is just for light stuff up to 3". A light duty saw it can't compare to my 460 magnum or my 280.When the 280 dies again will be the 3 rd. time. I am going to get one of the 300 series saw.But you have to remember I am cutting and trimming over 10 full cords of wood a year. :suicide: To the Oil companies.

i looked at the new ones back a couple years ago. i ended up getting a husqvarna 346XP. i was looking at saws that are different than that 180 but it was always stihl or husky. as long as you get the right sized saw to fit your needs you'll have no worries with either brand.

I love that quick adjuster for the chain.

Oh yeah, sweet! Love mine too! Beats the hell out of my Husky with the wrench, cover nuts & the screw adjustment.

Eddie, sure you aren't planning on cutting anything too big. I have the 270/18" and that's considered a medium duty chainsaw. I've abused mine for 6-7 years with no problems other than the ethnol issues.

FYI - If you ever need work done on it or chains sharpened, got to Boerman's on Rte21 in Marion. Cheaper labor rate and the mechanic (owner's son) knows his Stihls. Altra's (Ontario) labor rate is ~$80/hr and IMHO they have no clue.

I have a Poulon chain saw that I bought about 20 years ago and it's okay but I thought I would upgrade . I just bought a Stihl 16" MS 180 C . It is has a 31.8 CC engine . Bought the saw , case , 6 pack of synthetic oil and extra chain .

I plan to help my son cut and clear some trees on my SILs property in Geneseo and thought a new saw might be just the ticket . I checked reviews on various saw models and brands and this saw seemed to come out on top . I expect to put it to the test in the next couple of weeks .

Does anyone own one of these saws ?

I think the Stihl saw my son has is a 20" model . I'll leave the bigger stuff for him to cut .

Good choice. I have a 460 mag, and a 660 mag. Stihl is very accomidating to any issues you may have, or most likely will not have.

I have had a couple of cheap 16" Poulons that I used when I bought log loads to cut up for our wood stove . The original saw was stolen and I bought another to replace it . Both worked fine but the newer one doesn't oil the chain as well as the original did . I figured the Stihl would be an upgrade . I doubt that I will be cutting anything any bigger than a 12" diameter .

Thanks for the input !

I have an 029 super farm boss. Has been a good saw,20". I had to put a new ring and piston in it....my fault,don't use old gas. Always fresh and you will be just fine.I use that for the bigger stuff and I have a smaller Husky for the limbs and what not.