Hunting behind fence

Four Season Whitetail's

High fence hunts are not for me. But i would have to say hunting in a 150 acre parcel with high fence and then hunting a parecel with 1000 acres, one might not even know it was fenced in. plus chances of killing deer in a pen with that much land is no different then killing on on state land, only difference would be the size of the deer enclosed in perhaps...

with that much acreage i can see hunters going day where they wouldn't even see a deer in that pen with 1000 acres.  but for me i still like the true 100% fair chase where those deer can cross roads and hit up food sources on other properties, where in my mind i know it truly is 100% fair Chase. i never did a fence hunt and never will, but for those who thinks its cheating or something, the reality of it is even with a fenced in parcel of land in excess of 1000 acres is alot of land. i cant see it being to different then hunting 1000 acres un fenced unless the deer in with in the fences are un godly big and theres a sh*t load of deer in there with no where to go...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google what you will and everyone has a right to voice as you feel.The next time you see a guy with no legs because he was fighting for our country with a deer is his hand that he shot at a high fence operation that he is not a hunter and never should have shot a deer that he otherwise never would have been able to take!!!I think there is a place and time that a high fence hunt is needed and accepted but then again just my thought.

im not knocking it... to each is own, perhaps that would be nice to see. however ive seen high fence hunts at hunting and fishing expos that are in other states or even in NY and the price tag is absolutly retarted... what is it for the rich yuppies who dont do things themselves, like scout and hang stands and are too good for doing there own leg work? ive seen those hunts go for in excess of 12K +!!! theres something wrong with that!

i was agreeing with some of what you said, however using wounded veterens is no excuse to pedal an operation like that. ive seen plenty of "No Fence" hunts to the same hunts for Vets and its great.

fence hunts = $$$$$$$$$$$$$

its disgusting and a effin rip off...

Google what you will and everyone has a right to voice as you feel.The next time you see a guy with no legs because he was fighting for our country with a deer is his hand that he shot at a high fence operation that he is not a hunter and never should have shot a deer that he otherwise never would have been able to take!!!I think there is a place and time that a high fence hunt is needed and accepted but then again just my thought.

There is an organization that provides FREE free range hunts for veterns here in CNY on private land.

A pen is not needed for a disabled vet to hunt - I know a few and most take a great deal of pride in the accomplishment of overcoming their disabilities and would feel it cheapen by using an unneeded crutch.

Playing that card is simply trying to defer from the real issues.

A pen is not hunting - it is fine to do, but don't call it a hunt unless it is several 1000 acres, deer are not released for shooting, all regular hunting regulations apply, and a licence is needed.

I have no problem with it.

If someone wants to raise animals, and charge a fee to "harvest" them, that is up to the individual. As long as it is legal.

Is that my kind of hunting? No, no way, not interested.

Thank god this is still (almost) a free country, and you can still partake in activities that are not approved by the majority...Like hunting will be in the not to distant future...

If disabled people use these places to harvest an animal, that is great. I would seem to think though, that most of the people who use such a service would be a guy with some bucks..As in money. And maybe a little lazy, or with an ego that needs to be satisfied. And I bet he has that animal mounted. And most likely does not tell anyone who asks that it was pen reared...

But that is fine. Just not for me.

The next time you see a guy with no legs because he was fighting for our country with a deer is his hand that he shot at a high fence operation that he is not a hunter and never should have shot a deer that he otherwise never would have been able to take!!!  I think there is a place and time that a high fence hunt is needed and accepted but then again just my thought.

Well, thank you for proving my point as to what kind of person you are.  Please go someplace else and leave this forums to people who are interested in discussing hunting, not slaughterhousing.  Done with this topic, I suggest everybody else don't give this guy any more attention.

The next time you see a guy with no legs because he was fighting for our country with a deer is his hand that he shot at a high fence operation that he is not a hunter and never should have shot a deer that he otherwise never would have been able to take!!!  I think there is a place and time that a high fence hunt is needed and accepted but then again just my thought.

Well, thank you for proving my point as to what kind of person you are.  Please go someplace else and leave this forums to people who are interested in discussing hunting, not slaughterhousing.  Done with this topic, I suggest everybody else don't give this guy any more attention.

Have to agree with you UpState...if the goal was to benefit these Vet hunters as you allude to......what do you charge them? Do you donate a deer for their heroic service? Or do you stick it to them as you would a Manhattan wannabe hunter?

High fence hunts are not for me.

I have no problem with people being too lazy to do all the leg work themselves and have someone else put them on a good deer to shoot in a pen. It is nothing I would ever do. I am a hunter and that is not hunting. I have a buddy who used to raise buffalo in a pen. When he was out of meat he would go down to the pen and shoot one. He never called it hunting.

I do have a problem with you having the audacity to use a disabled veteran as an argument for your cause though. I know a few disable veterans who love to hunt but need help. They hunt on private land where the owner brings them to the blind and that is it. Everything else is up to them. No fences, no pen raised deer, just wild free ranging deer.

If people want to pay out the %$# to shoot something then go for it but do not ever, ever call it HUNTING.

And one other thing, I find it very disheartening that you would take advantage of a disabled veteran who gave his all for the freedom of our country. To take money from someone like that is sickening. If you want to let them have the thrill of shooting a deer in their disabled state that is fine but you should not take money from them. That is lower than low! >:)

I'm a believer in the free enterprise system and realize that for every demand, there will be someone to fill it. The pay-to-hunt, high fence operations fulfill a demand, and obviously there are people who call themselves hunters who will pay to have those demands satisfied. I find the whole business (including those deer farmers who enable the stocking of these pay-to-hunt operations) to be repugnant and an activity that will in the end eventually cripple hunting as an viable honorable activity for the average Joe. I hate the idea that they exist. I hate the idea that anybody would patronize these places. I hate the modern-day hunter attitudes that provide support for this abortion of a sport that I have treasured most of my life. But most of all, I hate the glimpse into the future of hunting that these places give us.

However, these operations are legal. Whatever they are doing to hunting is legal. Our entire history and economic system is based on this kind of free enterprise activity, and this guy and his customers are filling a need that we hunters are bringing on ourselves. Here is a case where those nasty little things called ethics (or lack thereof)  that we were discussing in another thread are failing us. As the majority of us shun ethics or even the discussion of them, little bastardizations of what we call hunting are going to prosper and grow and take over the entire activity eventually. Here we have one little peek at it all. Every year that goes by will bring us a clearer look at it.

Doc

Well there you have it...People on both sides of the fence..First of all i raise deer and do not hunt behind my fence,Second i have been on 3 fenced hunts with guys that were in desert storm and wounded.Untill you see a guy that has hunted his whole life and just killed a deer that he shot with a gun that he uses his mouth to shoot you have seen nothing..Third i have 3 active soliders on my 700ac each year and givin 2 dmap,s to use while here.You can bash all you want and we all have our own thoughts on the subject.Fourth redneck you seem to think you know we very well and we see that you know were deerfarmer website is and you didnt answer the question on what kind of animals you farm...Mabey you have a few deer of yur own that you would like to tell us about.Wish me luck as i am headin to my treestand..Good luck to all!!!!!!!!!

What I'd like to know is exactly where are these hunting yuppies?? Yuppies play tennis, go skiing, kayaking, mountain climbing, but I'll be darned if I see them going deer hunting.  These fenced in places cater to folks with rural roots who have made some money.  Some of them use this money to buy an easy hunt where an easy trophy is possible so that they then can have something to show off to their friends.  They are the type that think money can buy anything. 

What I'd like to know is exactly where are these hunting yuppies?? Yuppies play tennis, go skiing, kayaking, mountain climbing, but I'll be darned if I see them going deer hunting.  These fenced in places cater to folks with rural roots who have made some money.  Some of them use this money to buy an easy hunt where an easy trophy is possible so that they then can have something to show off to their friends.  They are the type that think money can buy anything.

I tried it with new golf clubs.........didn't work there either...lol

I don't know what the background of some of these guys is, but with the prices some of these places are asking, it definitely is people with deeper pockets than I've got.....lol. It's like some of these New Zealand hunts that you see on TV. Heck, I can't even afford the trip to New Zealand and back even without the hunt ..... lol. So, I'm thinking that maybe it's mostly young execs who all of a sudden get the thought that they should have some animals hanging on their wall for bragging purposes and simply decide to go out and purchase a hunt that guarantees success in a time frame that doesn't interfere too much with their tennis, skiing, kayaking, mountain climbing, etc.

a yuppie can comply with those terms you stated, however is not limited to such... A definition to a yuppie can imply to any sport or any materialism and or luxurious item.

• a young upwardly mobile professional individual; a well-paid  middle-class professional who works in a city and has a luxurious life  style

• an acronym for "Young Urban Professional", a term often used  pejoratively with connotations of selfishness, materialism, and  superficiality. Originally the term held some positive meaning, but  quickly led to backlash against those that self-identified with the  term. ...

I associate the word yuppie with young "urban" professional.  I have seen and worked with my share of these in NYC and can't say that I have come across any that wanted to go deer hunting in a fenced in area or any other setting.  There may be some of these "urban" professionals in other cities who want to get a crack at hunting, but I sure never came across one in NYC.  They are willing to try most other sports or pastimes, but hunting is surely NOT on their list from what I have observed.  Most of the hunters in and around NYC are everyday working guys who would have to save long and hard for an expensive hunt of this nature. 

ive met some in NY they exist... and my statement was not pointing out NY er's per say... it was a vague statement that can be outside of NY, ofcorase. guys with money whos pockets that surely go deeper then mine and will pay for such a hunt.

Yeah, I don't know what percentage of the users of high end pay-to-hunt businesses actually fit the true dictionary definition of being a yuppie .... lol. And it probably doesn't matter. The point is that their is a growing number of people with adequate resources for supporting more and more of these kinds of hunting businesses. And, the more land that these kinds of operations absorb, the less land that is available to the rest of us. If we continue on path with this kind of evolution of hunting, we need only look over in Europe to see where it will all lead eventually. No, not in my lifetime or even in the lifetime of most of our members here, but eventually.

Doc