• 100% No
    • Maybe in certain areas
    • On private land only but not public
    • Yes, but only in the offseason

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NJ has allowed baiting for the last few years. From what I understand, the reason given by NJ Fish & Game was that many deer in the suburban areas hang out near houses and are destroying expensive landscaping and are becoming over populated. This year NJ is also allowing bow hunting up to 150" of a home from an elevated stand & cross bows are now legal to hunt with.

If these rules were not adopted, these deer will eat themselves out of house & home and die of old age.

Many of these areas also have antler restrictions and have some real bruisers!

NY---as far as I can tell the only confirmed cases were in Onieda

Geno----I put a poll up

Since CWD testing began in 2002, a total of just over 32,000 deer have been sampled statewide, including 7,300 deer directly from the Oneida/Madison County containment area. Despite intensive testing of wild white-tailed deer, no additional cases have been detected in the New York since 2005.

Stretch....dont' have anything to base this on other than hear say ....but I heard a big commotion from hunters down there feeling the ones that did test positive may have been escapes from a High Fence operation down there.

Would really make sense to me since these trophy farmers do ship deer to purchacers all over the country.

Stretch....dont' have anything to base this on other than hear say ....but I heard a big commotion from hunters down there feeling the ones that did test positive may have been escapes from a High Fence operation down there.

Would really make sense to me since these trophy farmers do ship deer to purchacers all over the country.

i agree 100 %. The deer with CWD where found real close to a deer farm. I hunt in the So called cantamination zone.  A lot of hunters in this area were scared to hunt b/c of CWD. 5 years later and no new cases of CWD have been found but the area is still listed as a contamination area.

i agree 100 %. The deer with CWD where found real close to a deer farm. I hunt in the So called cantamination zone.  A lot of hunters in this area were scared to hunt b/c of CWD. 5 years later and no new cases of CWD have been found but the area is still listed as a contamination area.

During a discussion a long time ago, the subject came up about how long these prions can survive and still remain viable in the soil. I wish I could remember how long it was said that these things can survive as infectable entities but I remember being a bit shocked at how long they can last. So, the point is that just because no cases have been discovered for a while does not mean that the disease is destroyed and no longer a threat.

Doc

Resistant Prions: Can They Be Transmitted By Environment As Well ...  Aug 11, 2008 ... How long do BSE and CWD prions survive in the ground? “To find this out, we urgently need to carry out further tests. ...

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080811095458.htm - Cached - Similar    This link is interesting and may perhaps sway the opinion of those who support baiting.

That article should serve to erase any feelings of comfort that anyone might get just from the fact that we haven't heard of any new incidents of CWD in NY. Once it is here, I wonder if there ever is any situations where you can declare absolute success in erradicating it. So if someone (DEC) seems to think that feeding and baiting has the potential for the spread of CWD, I guess I'll accept that as a good reason for outlawing those practices. The fact that I still have adequate hunting skills and don't really have to do either of these things to be successful at hunting makes that a very easy and painless law to abide by.

Doc

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/33220.html

In order to increase confidence in our understanding of CWD in the Oneida/Madison Containment Area, a targeted sample of deer was collected during February and March of 2009. Information developed through this targeted sampling effort better informed managers on decisions to be made concerning future CWD management and possible Containment Area regulation changes following the 2009 big game season. With still no new cases of CWD detected, the Containment Area was decommission in July of 2010

Stretch---They still have manditory check in though....right?

I can't find any info on it. I wouls assume no but I have a few calls into NYS parks and DEC officers I know to find out.

No, there is no longer a mandatory check.

"Attention Madison and Oneida County Deer Hunters

There no longer is a Chronic Wasting Disease containment area within Madison and Oneida Counties, and there will not be a mandatory deer check for harvested deer in this area in 2010. Hunters are now free to move harvested deer outside of the former containment area."

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8325.html

The two infected "wild" deer that were found seem a little sketchy to me anyway.  There were two infected captive herds a couple miles apart and these deer were found right in between the two. 

Now I'm not typically a wild eyed "Allstate-released-tigers-to-cut-down-car/deer-accidents" conspiracy type, but I've always wondered if these two "wild" deer were actually escaped/released from one of these captive herds.

Stretch---They still have manditory check in though....right?

I can't find any info on it. I wouls assume no but I have a few calls into NYS parks and DEC officers I know to find out.

No, there is no longer a mandatory check.

"Attention Madison and Oneida County Deer Hunters

There no longer is a Chronic Wasting Disease containment area within Madison and Oneida Counties, and there will not be a mandatory deer check for harvested deer in this area in 2010. Hunters are now free to move harvested deer outside of the former containment area."

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8325.html

The two infected "wild" deer that were found seem a little sketchy to me anyway.  There were two infected captive herds a couple miles apart and these deer were found right in between the two. 

Now I'm not typically a wild eyed "Allstate-released-tigers-to-cut-down-car/deer-accidents" conspiracy type, but I've always wondered if these two "wild" deer were actually escaped/released from one of these captive herds.

thanks for that find. a lot of the hunters I know in Madison county all talk about the car/deer accidents.

So does the "Acorn Rage Bomb" fall under the baiting prohibition.  For those of you not familiar with it, it is an aerosol can of liquid that smells like the Acorn Rage powder.  When you press the button it sprays 60 straight seconds of it into the air.  The deer can't eat it but it smells like food to them.  I can;t figure out its legality. 

that is acceptable because base on the DEC view, it is not a food/mineral and is not getting the deer to feed on something that they would not normally do. Example...apple scent spray is acceptable. deer cocaine ,,,a mineral, poured on teh ground or stump would intice them to feed on the dirt and stump. question and answer section on this years reg's