I come home...

growalot

From hand raking leafs off a few trail plots in order to seed in clover...bad enough that it's snowing and kicked up an old knee injury...But Mr.B. standing on the deck waving a letter saying you have some very important mail here...Really!...

Jury duty for a trial at the county seat...2 days before out daughters 30th B-Day and I had made plans for a girls day and May 6...during the second week of turkey season!!! All winter they had and now!!!...Now I have to jump through hoops to see about deferring...I fear that because it could end up in bow season...But I'm not missing her 30th...it happens just once...

Edited by growalot

just go tell them you love drugs thinks laws are bs and they'll kick you out.. if they even call your number to show up. heck i got called in on a friday before gun season a few years ago when it opened on a monday for fed supreme court. guy there said it was a burden as he has trip planned for hunting on monday and he was dismissed.. i went the i know judges , cops, and drugs should be legal route and was 2nd kicked from selection process. personally it should be volentier or take then from the old folks homes bunch of conservitive views is prolly what the court system needs1

can't help but wonder how effective our jury system is when the majority of the people don't want to be there.....it's such an inconvenience,

not that I need to explain to you but since you invoked the ASS-U-ME clause..

I have served every time I've been ask...My daughter turns 30 just once in either of our lives...I lost my mother to cancer when I was 12yrs old...and never had a chance to celebrate lifes mile stones with her...I'll be dipped if I'm going to miss out with my daughter...Because some twit didn't want to follow the laws or some Cop /DA wanted to be an a-hole...What ever the case they can find another person  in this case and call me another time...or perhaps track down some of the ppl around our area that refuse to register to vote ...just to avoid being called....

By the way Lawd's is right ....but he also should realize how much I'd like to get a good case to make a decision on...last time I was foreman ..and it didn't turn out for the sheriffs to well....

G-man...Told Mr B that I was just going to tell them that my bladder is the size of a pea...and there is no wait a moment....lol ;)

• Like 1

There should be no guilt involved in asking for a reschedule if you have a conflict.

I believe doing one's duty, whether it be jury, military ( yes, my generation had to deal with the draft during an unpopular war) or whatever, but we have the right to live our lives, too..

Rescheduling so that you don't have to miss important events ( like a special birthday) or change prearranged plans is NOT shirking one's duty.

Edited by Pygmy

not that I need to explain to you but since you invoked the ASS-U-ME clause..

I have served every time I've been ask...My daughter turns 30 just once in either of our lives...I lost my mother to cancer when I was 12yrs old...and never had a chance to celebrate lifes mile stones with her...I'll be dipped if I'm going to miss out with my daughter...Because some twit didn't want to follow the laws or some Cop /DA wanted to be an a-hole...What ever the case they can find another person  in this case and call me another time...or perhaps track down some of the ppl around our area that refuse to register to vote ...just to avoid being called....

By the way Lawd's is right ....but he also should realize how much I'd like to get a good case to make a decision on...last time I was foreman ..and it didn't turn out for the sheriffs to well....

G-man...Told Mr B that I was just going to tell them that my bladder is the size of a pea...and there is no wait a moment....lol ;)

my comment was in no way intended as a dig towards you, but a comment towards a flawed system that forces people to be inconvenienced to do something they would rather not do.

• Like 1

I guess we should be thankful that we are able to have our peers available to serve jury duty .

I would hate to go on trial and be judged by anyone who felt they were being inconvenienced and had the attitude of " let's hang the SOB and get this trial over with so we can go home " .

I am not directing the above comment towards anyone on here . Just saying we should be thankful

that we live in a country that has a jury system .

• Like 3

Sitting on a jury can be a great inconvenience to many. But without juries our legal system would be even more flawed than what it is already. I've been called a few times and was always excused partly because I'm a lawyer and partly because I'm a solo practitioner and my office will come to a standstill if I'm not there.

As a trial lawyer I am always careful on what day of the week to actual schedule jury selection. I would never do it on a Monday or Friday because most jurors are not in the proper mindset - thinking of the past weekend or wishing the weekend was upon them. I also will not select a jury on the day before or on the day of a coming winter storm because their minds are on - "how am I going to get home". With that being said, although most people regret having been summoned to JD, many do look forward to sitting in the "cental jury room" just to get away from the everyday hustle, whether its catching up on paperwork or just reading a good book.

I guess we should be thankful that we are able to have our peers available to serve jury duty .

I would hate to go on trial and be judged by anyone who felt they were being inconvenienced and had the attitude of " let's hang the SOB and get this trial over with so we can go home " .

I am not directing the above comment towards anyone on here . Just saying we should be thankful

that we live in a country that has a jury system .

I've seen just that frame of mind from some people.  Some get picked for the jury. Just how fair is our judicial system?

I don't mind jury duty....besides the trial stuff....it is such a GREAT information gathering tool....besides ppl watching... I like to ppl watch..hey and 40.00 a day to what amounts to solving a puzzle...just more hunting stuff, money

Besides  Mr B.'s working out that way and we can get dinner before going home...gives  me an excuse to shop at Wegmans...lots of pluses...and in July...hopefully air conditioning...alls good