Here Comes Ontario County ...... Again

Doc

I probably wont jump right on board this year (unless I get a deal I cant turn down), as Im still swooning over my muzzle loader.

I'll bet you won't be the only one that holds off on rifle purchases. For one thing, a lot of people don't have the money to just run out and buy a quality deer rifle. The other thing is that there may be some that can't even find ammo for their rifle. Also, a lot of people won't even be aware that they can use rifles. And then there are the people who just recently bought a shiny new shotgun and will be trying to get some of their money's worth out of it. I wonder how long even after rifles are legalized before there is a significant percentage of the hunters that have converted. Personally, I can't wait to squeeze off that first round at a deer. I've been ready for a long time now.

I have a lever action 30-30 that may see some action. I just have other things going on with my extra money this year. Dropping $300 + what a scope costs for a combo for my TC just isnt in the stars for me right now. My muzzleloader setup lets me reach out to 200 comfortably. Good enough for now.

I probably wont jump right on board this year (unless I get a deal I cant turn down), as Im still swooning over my muzzle loader.

Then there's always the threat that after one year they don't renew the law! 

Wouldn't that be a bummer...............................................

• Like 1

Then there's always the threat that after one year they don't renew the law! 

Wouldn't that be a bummer...............................................

If during the trial period, there is even one single incident of a rifle bullet entering a house, or any kind of close calls involving residents, or any such similar incident, fatality or not, even if the same thing could have happened with a shotgun, I would fully expect that that would be the end of rifles in the county forever. Any fatalities that have a look of "long distance" to them, I will guarantee would also have the same result. There are people who have gone along with this only because they had no data of any sort to effectively oppose it. So let's just hope that nothing foolish happens. It won't take much to turn the tables on all of this. Believe me, we who actively supported this change are in a tiny minority. It is only happening because of the usual apathy among those who are either neutral or opposed to the idea. Let's hope that nothing happens to energize that majority.

If during the trial period, there is even one single incident of a rifle bullet entering a house, or any kind of close calls involving residents, or any such similar incident, fatality or not, even if the same thing could have happened with a shotgun, I would fully expect that that would be the end of rifles in the county forever. Any fatalities that have a look of "long distance" to them, I will guarantee would also have the same result. There are people who have gone along with this only because they had no data of any sort to effectively oppose it. So let's just hope that nothing foolish happens. It won't take much to turn the tables on all of this. Believe me, we who actively supported this change are in a tiny minority. It is only happening because of the usual apathy among those who are either neutral or opposed to the idea. Let's hope that nothing happens to energize that majority.

I think the threat of a long range accident is minimal.......even in the counties were rifles have always been legal, most accidents are close range, and the majority are from people in the same hunting party.

I think the threat of a long range accident is minimal.......even in the counties were rifles have always been legal, most accidents are close range, and the majority are from people in the same hunting party.

I hear all that, and I sure do hope you are right, but all I am saying is that if even one little incident occurs, the residential public will be all over that in a way like you could never imagine. I have heard from some of these people in local town forums and phone calls and e-mail, and even talked to a couple of town supervisors that were against the change, and I'll just say that there are a lot of people who simply are looking for one shred of ammunition. A lot of this has been conducted completely under the radar. Not purposely being a stealth law, but simply because it hasn't hit any significant level of notoriety yet. Opposition supervisors were not successful in stirring up their constituents against the bill. Let's hope that nobody gives these people credibility with some bone-head incident. I know they would not hesitate to elevate the issue and stir up opposition that so far has not materialized.

Then maybe Onondaga county will pass it ;) If only...

Hell, you never know.  I NEVER thought they'd even entertain thoughts of opening Livingston or Wayne Counties but they are now on the table also.

Fingers crossed...................................................................

Actually, my reason for wanting to use a rifle has nothing to do with distance. I simply want a deer hunting weapon that doesn't beat the snot out of me everytime I pull the trigger. I want something that I can spend significant leisurely time on the bench practicing with and actually enjoying the experience. I want a gun that I can relax with and shoot with comfort and that often translates to accuracy. I've done my time with that old 12 gauge Ithaca Deerslayer. It getting to be time to shoot with a bit less punishment. Distance??? ..... I still probably won't be shooting much over 100 yards. Most of the time where I hunt there isn't a clear shot over a 100 yards anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Official:

Get those rifles sighted in

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S3929  NOZZOLIO   Same as A 5574  Kolb 
Environmental Conservation Law
TITLE....Authorizes hunting in the county of Ontario until October 1, 2015

02/27/13 REFERRED TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

03/12/13 1ST REPORT CAL.184

03/13/13 2ND REPORT CAL.

03/14/13 ADVANCED TO THIRD READING

04/23/13 PASSED SENATE

04/23/13 DELIVERED TO ASSEMBLY

04/24/13 referred to environmental conservation

06/19/13 substituted for a5574

06/19/13 ordered to third reading rules cal.422

06/19/13 passed assembly

06/19/13 returned to senate

07/02/13 DELIVERED TO GOVERNOR

07/12/13 SIGNED CHAP.144

• Like 1

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now.......what to carry on opening day??  243 (soon to be a 260 I hope) 7mm-08 or 300WSM.  My 25-06 is probably going down the road and the 375HNH isn't even in the running.  It'll should be the 300WSM as it hasn't seen much lovin' in a bit.

Hot Dog.......

They all sound like great choices!

Load 'em up and get 'em sighted in. Everybody should strive to burn up a box or two of ammo before opening day, at a minimum. Twist my arm...................

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now.......what to carry on opening day??  243 (soon to be a 260 I hope) 7mm-08 or 300WSM.  My 25-06 is probably going down the road and the 375HNH isn't even in the running.  It'll should be the 300WSM as it hasn't seen much lovin' in a bit.

Hot Dog.......

I did good last year when I took my tip that the Ontario County rifle law was a lock, and I bought that .270 caliber American Ruger. I've had all this time to  be practicing with that thing and my biggest choice will be what hair on the deer I want to hit ..... lol.