cross bow in N.Y.

papabear

If DEC is given the authority to regulate the use of crossbows, they will most likely cave to the group who cries the loudest and sends the most unsigned form letters..........much like the way they gave into the Antler Restriction advocates.

Edited by jjb4900

COPY & PASTED FROM THE NYS DEC 5-YEAR PLAN:

2. Crossbow use by hunters in New York.

DEC supports the use of crossbows for hunting during all seasons in which other bowhunting equipment

is allowed. The crossbow hunting law enacted in 2010 does not address deer management needs, nor is

it consistent with hunter preferences. Deer populations in some portions of the state, particularly

where access or firearm use is restricted, may cause serious impacts on forest regeneration, biodiversity

protection, and public health. Crossbows are one additional tool to help DEC manage deer populations.

Further, allowing crossbows to be used by hunters with physical disabilities – as well as family members

with whom they enjoy spending their outdoor experience – will allow them to continue hunting. This is

consistent with DEC’s interests in connecting New Yorkers with nature.

A majority of New York deer hunters (including a majority of bowhunters) support legalization of

crossbows, particularly for seniors (68%) and hunters with disabilities (78%) but also for all hunters

during seasons when other bowhunting equipment is allowed (51%, Enck et al. 2011). Whereas, only

19% of hunters believe crossbow use should be limited to the regular firearms season, as the current

law authorizes. DEC supports the use of crossbows during any hunting season in which other

bowhunting equipment is allowed and recommends that eligibility to hunt with a crossbow be the same

as eligibility to hunt with a vertical bow.

pretty sure they also said antler restrictions really don't benefit the health of the deer herd.....that could have went either way but the advocates for it were more vocal. Although they support crossbow use, I'm sure if the vocal majority were against them, they would stay out of Archery season....and if the majority were for them they will go in all seasons.

Last time the issue came up, and they added crossbows to any deer season, the DEC said the vast majority of people that contacted them were in favor of crossbows. They also stated after the public comment period on the 5 year plan, that the majority supported their view of crossbows being included in archery season, which Biz posted. From the looks of it, they should be included in all seasons as soon as this coming season. Time will tell.

I'm really not pro or anti crossbow. I can't see it really making that much of a difference in hunter or harvest #'s. I certainly can't recall a mass recruitment of muzzleloader hunters with the introduction of inline's, a far superior weapon to the old style percussion/flintlocks.....I've shot low end crossbow's and they're not what I would waste my time dragging into the woods, and I'm not about to pay what a quality one cost's. If you're already an accomplished, capable bowhunter, I don't understand the benefit of getting a crossbow, but that's just me.

The way I see it the guy's who know what they're doing will be successful no matter what weapon they use.....the dopes who are piss poor bowhunters and buy a crossbow thinking it will make it easier, will still be piss poor hunters and eventually give that up too.

If you're already an accomplished, capable bowhunter, I don't understand the benefit of getting a crossbow, but that's just me.

For me, it will just be another weapon in the arsenal to choose from. Id like to take deer with as many different weapons as I can. Thats just me though. To each their own. B)

For me, it will just be another weapon in the arsenal to choose from. Id like to take deer with as many different weapons as I can. Thats just me though. To each their own. B)

that's very understandable....personally I would only invest in another weapon if it would open up more opportunities, not against guys laying out more money to get another weapon to use......if I saw the crossbow as being something that would give me an advantage I may lay the money out, but don't see that much of an advantage.