starter rifle for a 14 year old

Stretchhunts

WNY...that is always my first consideration when looking at a new gun. Since I don't reload yet I know the guns I have I can walk into any shop in the country and pick up a box...maybe not the exact ones I shoot but no hunt will be ruined because luggage was lost or I forgot to pack something ;)

I hear ya, just have to make sure you are stocked on them or you reload. I am going to start reloading my own soon, but I always keep a couple of boxes around. When I found my Encore, it just so happened to be in the exact caliber I really wanted. I have a friend that shoots the twin of my gun and I knew how his performs.

Great choice Stretch.....I don't know how you define reach...but they are the same round...smae charge.....270 is just a necked down 30-06. ballistically it has a longer reach....depending on how you define it

Agreed.  He could have decided by going the eenie meenie minie mo route and still made the right choice with either caliber!!

LOL...Steve. I know. I love both rounds and both are easy to find with a large selection of factory ammo. You alway here folks toos around a magic number of 1300 ft. pounds for deer killing energy...150 grains  .270 holds that and more at 400 yards.....400 yards ...are you kidding me...lol In my field stands I can't see 400 yards.  ;) ;)

I tell you Culver, when I hear people talk about shooting at 400 yards or more it really makes me cringe.  I know there are more open places out west where one CAN see an animal at long distances, but shooting at such distances is really risky.  I don't care how much someone practices either.  Wind can really play havoc with a bullet and just because the wind is doing one thing around the shooter, don't mean it isn't doing something else 500 yards down range.  Even 250 yards is a very long shot for the majority of shooters.  I don't care what super duper caliber these long range gunners shoot either.  Shooting at such distances is a crap shoot.  I love it when the post videos of themselves making a kill at unbelievable ranges.  Yeah, right.  How many misses did they have before they made such a kill?  I'm sure most of them make a dozen or more misses before they ever make one kill at such distances!!

I agree...anyone wants a humbling experience.....take you favorite deer rifle out chuck hunting. my longest was 425 but that was after 3 misses....bipod...prone...slight breeze and just weeks before I had it on a range and shot at 350. Chucks are nice because if you miss...have some coffee and relax...they will pop up again ;) . I ca'nt convince the deer I hunt to do the same thing

It's hard to beat a .270  as a deer rifle, especially if you do not reload, due to the  wide selection of factory loads available... You can nearly always find a load that it shoots well.. Actually, I've never seen a .270 that did not provide good hunting accuracy with factory loads.. The only real advantage of a 30-06 over a .270 is it's ability to handle heavier bullets, and for deer sized game that is not an issue....

Should he ever get the opportunity to hunt elk or moose, the .270 will also do a good job on them with  appropriate bullets...