starter rifle for a 14 year old

Stretchhunts

I'm trying to get my 14 year old into gun hunting. He wants nothing to do with shot guns.  Since he doesn't know if he will like rifle hunting I'm looking in the $300-400 range. I hear horror stories about the remington 770? What caliber? 243, 270, 30-06? He is 6'4" and 235lbs so he should be able to handle it, just have to get him not scared. Thanks

Mike

Dang, 6'4",  235lbs at 14!  I think you can start him with a .375 H&H with no problem!  Just kidding!  A kid that sized can definitely handle a .270 or .30-06.  I like the .308 and 7mm-08 also especially for northeast type hunting.  A kid that sized definitely need not start with a marginal caliber like .243 in my opinion.

A 243 is certainly not marginal.

Well, this could be argued, but I think a big youngster like him could easily handle something more potent, so why give him something on the lower end of the spectrum??  You give him one of the other bigger calibers and he pretty much could use the gun forever without ever needing another one.  Price wise there will also be NO savings in getting a 243 in comparison to something bigger.

size wise he is very capable of handling a larger caliber, but the preemiss of the original post is the kid is scared of shooting. he is 14 and you do not want hin to get spooked. I would use the .243. Light recoil and you know what...spend the $300 and if after a couple years the kids likes it and is comfortable...upgrade him. either sell it (even if you take a bath for $100 it is worth it to get him into it) or keep it and he has a small caliber deer/predator/varmit rifle.

The .243 has taken many deer and many kids have started with it.

These days they make mild loads for the bigger calibers, so I think that is something to consider also.  I can understand not wanting him to start flinching and stuff, but I think one can't expect perfect shooting from a youngster in the field no matter what caliber they shoot.  I just think a kid making a less than perfect shot on a deer will be better off with a 7mm-08 than he will with a .243.  A .243 in my opinion is more of a rifle for someone who can shoot accurately.  In most instances that 7mm slug will do more damage on that animal and it will be less likely that the animal will be lost.  I think it would be worse for the kid to go thru a scenario where he might lose a deer than to be worried about the flinching.  If he was 98 lbs soaking wet, I might agree with a .243 since something bigger would be punishing on him, but at his size a bigger caliber shouldn't be a problem with a little practice.

When I was a kid my dad encouraged me to get a 6mm/ .243 to use on woodchucks.  It is a light recoiling gun and with it I was able to shoot a lot and not worry about getting beat up.  With it I was able to develop confidence in my shooting and get the attitude that "I am not going to miss" which I believe is key to shooting accurately.  With it I also got an interest in reloading an continue now 40+ years later.  One of my sons now has a .243 which he shoots quite well.  He has taken deer, coyotes and foxes with it.  All of my sons are grown and in their 20's and none have any interest at all in shooting my 7mm Rem mag. 

My recommendation for a new shooter is to go with the .243 or even better yet a .22 to learn shooting fundamentals with.  Shooting opportunities are much greater with a .22 without the big boom etc. of the center fire guns.  And, its much easier to find a place to shoot safely with a .22.  Indoor ranges may even be available in your area.

Physical size has nothing to do with what a person can "handle".  A 243 is a very mild, light recoiling gun that is absolutely more than capable for any deer walking.

A 7mm bullet kills better than a 6mm slug? 

As often quoted by many more experienced than I, "shot placement trumps bullet diameter any day"

Spend some time at the range with the boy with a brick of .22's, a scoped rifle and some reactive targets.  He'll be hooked.

Then call the taxidermist. ;D

• Like 1

Wow guys thanks for all the replies. He has been shooting a .22 for a few years now and is real good with it. He also has been shooting a bow for 4 years now. I started him early with a bow b/c of his size he could shoot full size one with ease. All the guys I've talked to at gun stores are saying 30-06 b/c of the range of loads but everyone I know who shoots are all saying the .243 . If he stops growing I can spend more on a gun instead of clothes and food, lol

Well, yeah, surely a .22 will be the best practice of all for a youngster AND someone a lot older.  But it did sound like the original poster was talking about a rifle capable for deer hunting eventhough he didn't say so specifically.  I have no doubt that a lot of deer have been killed with a .243.  I however am more of a realist when it comes to caliber choices like I am with many other things.  I surely don't think a .300 magnum is necessary for deer, but at the same time don't think a .243 is either.  Plenty of other sound choices somewhere in between!

Ballistically...i know load depending ---but ---a .243 is only a couple hundred foot pounds of energy less than the 7mm-08 out to 200 yards. and has plenty of killing powere at that range. An let's face it how many of us really shoot deer at that range.

One thing I did find funny though.....probably the gun responsisble for taking more deer throughout history and carried by many still today......the 30-30.....is less capable (ballistically) from the muzzle out to 200 than the .243 is.

Doe makes a real good suggestion.  Maybe some of your shooting friends could let him use a few different calibers?  I think it will surprise you what he will be able to handle.  I started deer hunting in a shotgun area so there was little choice in the matter.  If you wanted to hunt deer you got pounded by the slugs and that was it.  As Doe said any rifle I shot after that punishment was nothing in comparison.

How is it that I have not seen a post about the all time classic 30-30 ?

If you are not sure the kid would like it buy used, You can get a good deal on a used Marlin with a scope for way less than you would be able to buy a new rifle. Plus is he doesn't end up liking it BAM new rifle for you !

Oh by the way if you do go 30-30 make sure you use LeverEvolution rounds and it will be a tack driver out to 200 yards

Sorry I guess forgot to mention it will be all used for deer hunting. I do have him trying a .270, 30-06 and a .243 this weekend. All of them are older guns and I really never even crossed my mind about used, DOH.  He watches me shoot my ithaca's and I use hornady SST's in them and he wants nothing to do with those guns, lol. Can't blame him but that's what I've always shot. New the to rifle hunting thing since they just opened it up last year in Madison county.

Seems as if recoil is the big worry for your son.  A .243 has the least amount of recoil energy, but you have to be sure the bullets used are of good quality for deer hunting in order to hunt deer with a .243 rifle.

Even with perfect shot placement, if the bullet in a .243 round expands too fast, or explodes on impact, that deer is not going down.  If you use a 100 grain Nosler Partition in a .243, it will do the job if the shooter does his.  Any good deer bullet in the .243, that weighs 95 grains or more, will be good for deer hunting.

Having said that, the 7mm-08 is a much better round for a lifetime of deer hunting and has almost the same amount of recoil energy.

"Felt" recoil often has a lot to do with the design of the rifle.  A rifle that fits the shooter well, equipped with a good recoil pad, will have a lot less "felt" recoil than a poor fitting rifle with a lesser chambering.

Also, young shooters can develop a fear of a rifle or shotgun due to the noise and muzzle blast.  Be sure he is wearing plenty of hearing protection to minimize the noise as much as possible.  Good eye protection is essential for a young shooter to be sure he keeps his sight.  The more protective equipment a youngster has on, the safer that youngster will feel shooting the gun.  So let him tell you what he wants to wear prior to shooting the gun.

I've had kids decide to use ear plugs and muffs, safety glasses, gloves and a recoil reduction pad (or a folded up bath towel) for the first few rounds fired, only to remove the gloves and the recoil pad after about 10 shots.

Once they know they can handle a rifle when well protected, they won't feel as insecure about shooting it in the field.

Initially, let him shoot standing up and forget about the accuracy.  Standing feels like less recoil compared to shooting from a bench.

Needless to say, it is best to start with the lightest recoiling rifle and work up to the bigger guns as he feels he wants to.

When Im not using my 30-30 I use a Swedish Mauser , one of the more accurate rifles I own & a  sweetheart to shoot, If he's not into the mil surplus you can get a Tika in 6.5 x 55 also Kimber Of America Swede 96 are just sportorized swedish mausers. Hell of a round.