Rabid Raccoon

erussell

So I go out on the porch the other morning to clean off an e collar I have for a sick dog and while cleaning it my wife comes out. She looks down across the yrd and says look there's a raccoon. Well this thing starts growling and runs as fast as it could for the porch.  We ran in side and I went and got the 870 loaded with buck shot and looked out the front door. This thing is growking and tearing up the rag I was using to clean off the e collar. Then it makes its way around the side of the house. I run around the other side and come face to face with the darn thing. Which proceeds to start growling and run at me. So I gave him 3 rounds of buck shot for his efforts. I called the DEC and they said to dig a deep hole, double bag it, and pour bleach over it because they dont want it which I did. Nothing like a little excitement first thing in the morning.

Edited by erussell

Why double bag it and then pour bleach ?

Why not dig a hole and pour bleach on the carcus .....and cover it up .

Probably they are concerned about another animal smelling the decomposing carcass and digging it up. You would think the bleach would discourage that from happening, but it probably is just a secondary preventative measure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like things went smooth because you were prepared, hope the dog gets better btw.

The dog has been a complete nightmare. she went in for a tooth extraction and everything went fine till a few days later the side of her face swelled up and her neck. They biopsied her gland to see if she had cancer and the wound got infected and opened up and to make a long story short she now has a 3 inch open wound from the corner of her mouth half way down her neck that refuses to heal. she has been stiched up 3 times and all three times the stiches failed. She has been looked at by vets and cornell and they are at a complete loss as to why she wont heal up. Im completely sick about the whole thing and very frustrated. Dog is completelly healthy except for the open wound on the side of her face and I dont want to put her down. Its already cost me $5000 dollars but the vet says he isnt charging me any further which is a good thing because I dont have any more money anyhow. I just hope the outcome is good since we have poured so much money into her.

The dog has been a complete nightmare. she went in for a tooth extraction and everything went fine till a few days later the side of her face swelled up and her neck. They biopsied her gland to see if she had cancer and the wound got infected and opened up and to make a long story short she now has a 3 inch open wound from the corner of her mouth half way down her neck that refuses to heal. she has been stiched up 3 times and all three times the stiches failed. She has been looked at by vets and cornell and they are at a complete loss as to why she wont heal up. Im completely sick about the whole thing and very frustrated. Dog is completelly healthy except for the open wound on the side of her face and I dont want to put her down. Its already cost me $5000 dollars but the vet says he isnt charging me any further which is a good thing because I dont have any more money anyhow. I just hope the outcome is good since we have poured so much money into her.

I take it the biopsy came back with no cancer? This is getting to be a very sad story. I know how attached to a dog you can get and these kinds of things are never easy things to live through. I hope your pooch turns around shortly and starts getting better.

I take it the biopsy came back with no cancer? This is getting to be a very sad story. I know how attached to a dog you can get and these kinds of things are never easy things to live through. I hope your pooch turns around shortly and starts getting better.

Yeah no cancer, no infection, no immune issues. WTH!!!! The vets are at a complete loss and the only thing they can come up with is it was a spider bite. But there is no real way to comfirm that.

Buddy called me yesterday said he had a racoon in his yard. This was around noon or so. Said it was walking real funny and making noises. Told him it probably wasnt safe and dont mess with it. Think he took the 22 and ended it. Its not common for racoons to be out during the day is it?

Buddy called me yesterday said he had a racoon in his yard. This was around noon or so. Said it was walking real funny and making noises. Told him it probably wasnt safe and dont mess with it. Think he took the 22 and ended it. Its not common for racoons to be out during the day is it?

Actually, I have seen a lot of racoons out and about in the daylight. What is not normal is for them to be "walking real funny and making noises". However there are other diseases besides rabies that will cause this that are common to racoons. One that comes to mind is distemper. But whenever there is any doubt, safety is always the best advice. Shooting the critter was a good idea. That may have prevented the diseased animal from spreading its problem to other animals.

Im glad it was only a Raccoon and not a fox or a coyote. I set my Trail cam up on the edge of my yrd the other day and got a series of pics of running deer and a Coyote following them around the back side of my lawn. Also my Dog had her 5th surgery on Monday and the stitches still didnt hold. So now he has no choice but to take a viable pc of skin from somewhere else and try and sew it in.  Hope this works.

Edited by erussell

• 2 months later...

Sad to report that reese made a turn for the worse getting a bunch of red bumps all over her. I took her to vet to have stitches removed from latest surgery and he took some samples from the red bumps. Turned out to be Mercer and for her good and our safety we had her put down Monday. We were all in the room for the end and much crying was done. Its been a sad week. Missin my dog.