Slow!!!

deerpassion

Still havnt heard a gobble since the opener !!! Been seein random hens with no boyfriends ... Uuggghh sittin here with another hunter somewhere back in the woods goin apeshit on his calls ( give it a rest buddy!) not looking good for the second bird this year, been a few years since I havnt tagged out.. Hope ya'll are fairin better than I am ...

The first week was hot. A good amount of gobbling and I called in some birds, but no shots. The last two times out it was dead quiet. Tue. I bumped two birds while I was walking around and I think one was a Tom. I know they're out there ...just quiet and probably a little call shy. I'll keep at it. Good luck!!!

sitting here watching turkeys strut in the field below the barn wishing I had more tags...

You are just north of me.  I've heard from a friend in Antwerp that there are good bird populations up there.  I may have to come investigate.

It's getting to the point in the season were my enthusiasm is waning. The vegetation has peaked ,the weather is getting hotter, the birds aren't gobbling nor responding to calls and I'm tired of getting up at 3am . Kudos to all those who still have the drive and passion.

It's getting to the point in the season were my enthusiasm is waning. The vegetation has peaked ,the weather is getting hotter, the birds aren't gobbling nor responding to calls and I'm tired of getting up at 3am . Kudos to all those who still have the drive and passion.

U ain't lyin!!! 3 rolls around too quick when there not talkin .... Miss my Florida season already! Gobbles drop off as season progresses but for some weird reason I have tagged out the last week of season too many times to give up halfway , but up here this is rediculous ! I get it, time the season to ensure good breeding and a healthy pop. but dam at least bump it up a week or so ... By opening day they are coolin off already... Oh well, found some great bow spots for October in my travels ... Come on October lol!!!!

I have to go out at least once more because my blind is set up and my dekes are in there. Other than hunting a bit to retrieve that...I'm probably packing it in for the season. Too many other things start to come online...yard work and some fishing are in order I think.

U ain't lyin!!! 3 rolls around too quick when there not talkin .... Miss my Florida season already! Gobbles drop off as season progresses but for some weird reason I have tagged out the last week of season too many times to give up halfway , but up here this is rediculous ! I get it, time the season to ensure good breeding and a healthy pop. but dam at least bump it up a week or so ... By opening day they are coolin off already... Oh well, found some great bow spots for October in my travels ... Come on October lol!!!!

You are missing part of the point, they are not cooling off, at least not the older toms. The first gobbling peak during winter flock break-up occurs before hunting reduces the flock size and educates the birds.

After flock dispersal the birds are doing more mating than displaying and the gobbling slows down. At some point the hens start laying eggs at a rate of one per day, but they will continue to mate. After about 14 days/eggs they sit on the nest and incubate for 28 days. Incubation does NOT shut off the mating urge of mature toms however many of them are dead or educated and the  jakes lose reproductive condition (you don't really want to know what this means, trust me). What incubation does do, is start the older toms gobbling again, unless they are aware of the presence of hunters. They will continue to seek hens and if not pressured, gobble all the way into the month of June. (Since 85% of nests are lost to predators with 30 to 60 percent of the hens attempting to renest, toms have a good chance of finding receptive hens into the month of June and they know it).

That being established, lets revisit hunting one or two weeks earlier. If hunting suppresses gobbling, and I can supply you with published research that suggests it does, why wouldn't it suppress it two weeks earlier? From a hunting opportunity perspective; the effect of hunting pressure on gobbling would be the same, it would just occur earlier. From a biological perspective; the birds would be subjected to the issues associated with hunting before most of the mating and flock segregation occurs. The only benefit is the possibility of an  increased harvest, mainly consisting of jakes, otherwise it is largely a lose-lose proposition.

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 2

You are missing part of the point, they are not cooling off, at least not the older toms. The first gobbling peak during winter flock break-up occurs before hunting reduces the flock size and educates the birds.

After flock dispersal the birds are doing more mating than displaying and the gobbling slows down. At some point the hens start laying eggs at a rate of one per day, but they will continue to mate. After about 14 days/eggs they sit on the nest and incubate for 28 days. Incubation does NOT shut off the mating urge of mature toms however many of them are dead or educated and the jakes lose reproductive condition (you don't really want to know what this means, trust me). What incubation does do, is start the older toms gobbling again, unless they are aware of the presence of hunters. They will continue to seek hens and if not pressured, gobble all the way into the month of June. (Since 85% of nests are lost to predators, toms have a good chance of finding receptive hens trying to re-nest into June and they know it).

That being established, lets revisit hunting one or two weeks earlier. If hunting suppresses gobbling, and I can supply you with published research that suggests it does, why wouldn't it suppress it two weeks earlier? Although more jakes might be harvested, the effect of hunting pressure would be the same, it would just occur earlier and before most of the mating and flock segregation occurs.

haha, well thanks for the thesis ... Didn't mean to negate the law of nature but as I said before the only land I have to hunt is public and moderately hunted land at that , so if ur sayin pressure doesn't stop em from gobblin ur crazy! Been at this long enough n killed too many birds to be persuaded otherwise ... I support ur statement on older toms continuing on with breading and all 100% n doesn't mean there not out there but as far as "turkey " hunting goes its not the greatest... It pretty much becomes deer hunting trying to pattern them n not calling them in when there hot to trot.... I hunt most days till the bitter end , but when u see stray hens with no boys n don't hear a thing it's dam tough to stay motivated. Specially since u've been wakin up at 2 for a week solid .... But this is no news to u I'm sure since u seem very well educated , I wish u the best , cause we all worship Lady Luck ;) thanks for ur input...

You are missing part of the point, they are not cooling off, at least not the older toms. The first gobbling peak during winter flock break-up occurs before hunting reduces the flock size and educates the birds.

After flock dispersal the birds are doing more mating than displaying and the gobbling slows down. At some point the hens start laying eggs at a rate of one per day, but they will continue to mate. After about 14 days/eggs they sit on the nest and incubate for 28 days. Incubation does NOT shut off the mating urge of mature toms however many of them are dead or educated and the  jakes lose reproductive condition (you don't really want to know what this means, trust me). What incubation does do, is start the older toms gobbling again, unless they are aware of the presence of hunters. They will continue to seek hens and if not pressured, gobble all the way into the month of June. (Since 85% of nests are lost to predators, toms have a good chance of finding receptive hens trying to re-nest into June and they know it).

That being established, lets revisit hunting one or two weeks earlier. If hunting suppresses gobbling, and I can supply you with published research that suggests it does, why wouldn't it suppress it two weeks earlier? From a hunting opportunity perspective; the effect of hunting pressure on gobbling would be the same, it would just occur earlier. From a biological perspective; the birds would be subjected to the issues associated with hunting before most of the mating and flock segregation occurs. The only benefit is the possibility of an  increased harvest, mainly consisting of jakes, otherwise it is largely a lose-lose proposition.

Laying down some knowledge. Nice job.

No problem, I want you guys to be informed because sooner or later someone from some  group will suggest to the legislature an early season as well as full day hunting ( LOL: 4:50 AM to 8:30 PM). The DEC would tell them or want to tell them pretty much what I said here, but the politicians don't care about all that, it is soclo-political decisions that allow them to keep their jobs, not biological ones. If the politicians only hear from the mouth pieces they often get their way. This will give you some factual talking points if / when someone introduces a bill.

Sorry fellas but I'm going with the majority here. Birds are dead silent and strutting activity is non existent IF you can even find a bird. Foliage is to thick and hay is to tall. It never fails that this time of year the hunting falls off rapidly. Regardless of the good knowledge that Mike dropped, the season needs a one week earlier opening and has needed it for 3 year now. Plenty of seasoned turkey guys around here say the late season just isn't what it used to be.

• Like 1

Was out in saratoga county again today and we had two long beards gobbling on roust and on the ground until 9:00am then they moved to another location. I'm hunting private land and we are the only ones hunting it. Today was the first day in a week they have gobbled on the ground. They are out there keep trying!