How many of you...

Manage your hunting lands (plantings) based on the farm fields around you?

I been doing this for many years...but I only had one field to go buy...now I have hundreds of acres around us being planted...So behind me is 35 acres..it borders half our back(S) line...15 corn...7-8 in timothy/alfalfa....3-4 in corn and 7-8 in oats/clover....

To my direct east 1/3 of our place now has 50 acres of oats /clover in it...the rest is woods on either side of that...then a 4 yr old logged timber to my north and swamp and to my west a last years logged timber/swamp

I am putting in a summer powerplant and my usual corn...and have increased my clover plantings...but I'm thinking I'd be smart to increase my radish and turnip plantings ...to get the deer here when the other stuff goes dormant...and perhaps add  Max attract for a fall planting seeing they will get use to oats this summer....Any thoughts?

Edited by growalot

Not for nothin but ur deer r eatin really well just off what borders u ... I would try n stand out with somethin different that they cant get anywhrere else... In addition to ur corn I would highly recommend frigid forage turnip mixed with clover... Early season the clover is a no brainier , but now with the turnips mixed in they'll get an idea they r there when they come for the clover , n mid to late season when the turnips start gettin sugary I would bet a winning lotto ticket they will flock to those vs anything offered on surrounding properties ... And I've seen the type a bucks u've got around there .. Lookin forward to what ur gonna be chasin after this year...

Thanks...the turnips this year will be tall tines by wht tail institute...couldn't pass up the deal...and the Max attract I planted a few years ago and have to say love...is an oat, clover,chicory,pea mix that is darn near indestructible...I don't know what clover was in that mix but I've sprayed two times disced now 6 times...draged 4 times and I went down yesterday to check the wetness of the field....was too moist to work...hey and it's raining again!!!....but dang if the clover and @#$$%$$$ daisies...aren't coming back.

If you have crop fields around you, I wouldn’t waste time or money planting food plots.  I would manage the property to provide thick nasty bedding areas (mt laurel, thickets, etc..).   Leave these areas alone (do not enter them).  Hunt the trails between the thick bedding areas and farmers’ fields

I have crops all around me. I don't put too much thought into what will bring them in, rather the location is key. Clover for me is the best. A deer traveling through his hometown will always stop to munch on clover. Placing that food plot is the key for me because they have so much to eat in my area. My food plots are in-line with travel routs to thick bedding areas. 

My backyard is about 22 acres and the deer use it as a walk through.  They walk through at night on their way to grass fields to feed at night.  After they feed all night they pass through on their way to their bedding areas.  I try to plant something special that the deer will want to stop and nibble on as they make their way through.  Usually a high quality clover or WI Winter Greens have worked well.  They don't stop for long so I have to be on my toes when they arrive.

• Like 1

The problem on my 100 acres is its not large enough. Since I have great food the does groups bed on my place and take all the interior bedding along the fields. By the time bucks get to bed its off my property. Doesn't matter how thick or where I place bedding areas. Does push them out.

The problem on my 100 acres is its not large enough. Since I have great food the does groups bed on my place and take all the interior bedding along the fields. By the time bucks get to bed its off my property. Doesn't matter how thick or where I place bedding areas. Does push them out.

I'm not sure I understand u. Of coarse, I'm in a state of shock from just viewing my swamp land.

I agree landtrac...a does home range remains pretty steady..with the exception of herd leaders fighting and chasing off some doe...I see that a lot on our place....They have nothing on Golden gloves...lol

Buck disperse from their summer feeding areas...bachelor groups.... to find doe during the start of breeding season..

Manage your hunting lands (plantings) based on the farm fields around you?

I been doing this for many years...but I only had one field to go buy...now I have hundreds of acres around us being planted...So behind me is 35 acres..it borders half our back(S) line...15 corn...7-8 in timothy/alfalfa....3-4 in corn and 7-8 in oats/clover....

To my direct east 1/3 of our place now has 50 acres of oats /clover in it...the rest is woods on either side of that...then a 4 yr old logged timber to my north and swamp and to my west a last years logged timber/swamp

I am putting in a summer powerplant and my usual corn...and have increased my clover plantings...but I'm thinking I'd be smart to increase my radish and turnip plantings ...to get the deer here when the other stuff goes dormant...and perhaps add  Max attract for a fall planting seeing they will get use to oats this summer....Any thoughts?

The increase on the radish, I would strongly agree with. Now I'm not saying, they may draw effectively in all areas, but they were effective here with the drawing power from the start of bow right through muzzleloader season. I believe they fed on them through February this year.  The deer still looked in good health at that point. I would think the carb effectiveness would be as good as field corn.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

We planted 35 acres of corn, 10 acres of soybeans, and the rest of the fields are alfalfa/Timothy. My neighbor planted 50 acres of corn and 30 acres of beans behind our house. I have a small plot I'm working on that is mostly alfalfa/Timothy. It is between the corn and soybean fields so I'm hoping they will use it for a staging area. We usually have our corn up a little longer than our neighbor so hopefully it works out well.

So if there are no farms around me then I guess the answer would still be yes  B)

I have close to an acre of combined clover mix/chicory, and about another 1/2 with winter rye plots. 3 years ago it was maybe 1/2 acre total. In the woods plots, done with hand tools & a tiller. It's allot of work for an old - older guy.

I get my tiller back from the shop this week (rear seals/tune up) and it's time to get some jazz done revamping the clover plots. I finally got the trail passable for the jeep/trailer and can not only save time but get bulk gear & topsoil/fill for expanding & rough leveling. Here's another thing going on, planing to get the property logged. Had a forester up and marked the place. But it was high cut 15 years ago only leaving about 20% value trees today. So, I'm looking into getting a chip-job done at the same time.

Might be a little bit of a mess for 1-2 years but I'm thinking in terms for future benefit. More light on the ground, new growth, lanes, plots, etc. Also I have an idea, suppose 3-4 years from now I manage something of an extra acre clearing, I wonder if that would be enough for corn & could I deal with the extra work.

• Like 1

Fan If you have a plan for  the property to get logged and your looking 3+ years down the road (which BTW great way to think esp when it comes to food plots speaking from experience) you should have the logger def clear at least an acre, you have him there and you can work that out in the contract for the sale of the wood.  Also if you have it spelled out in the contract you should not have much of a mess when they are done  .Good luck !

Edited by Sparke2