Just venting......

First-light

It happens to all of us I know. Tahoe was dead on my driveway yesterday morning. It's 7 years old and I got the click click sound when trying to start. Walked to my service station and told them the deal. They came and checked it out and said I needed a new starter. I thought it was the battery but OK, go ahead and do the job. Went to pick it up late last night (10ish) and got in and click click. (Lights came on but the automatic back tailgate would not come up.) Looks to me its a battery. The starter cost $418.00 and looks like I didn't need it. I have no problem paying for the starter but think they should deduct the labor charge. What do you think? 

I agree with above, I was stuck in the same situation except with a transmission. I told them I suspected the rearend had blown out and they said oh no no its the tranny. Needless to say after a new tranny was installed the rearend was the issue. They covered the cost of labor and parts the the rear, i footed the transmission bill.

It happens to all of us I know. Tahoe was dead on my driveway yesterday morning. It's 7 years old and I got the click click sound when trying to start. Walked to my service station and told them the deal. They came and checked it out and said I needed a new starter. I thought it was the battery but OK, go ahead and do the job. Went to pick it up late last night (10ish) and got in and click click. (Lights came on but the automatic back tailgate would not come up.) Looks to me its a battery. The starter cost $418.00 and looks like I didn't need it. I have no problem paying for the starter but think they should deduct the labor charge. What do you think? 

But, you aren't positive right now it IS the battery are you?

Is it the OEM battery?

I'm SURE the garage checked all the connections..................

$418 for a starter?  Damn am I out of touch!

But, you aren't positive right now it IS the battery are you?

Is it the OEM battery?

I'm SURE the garage checked all the connections..................

$418 for a starter?  Damn am I out of touch!

Yes original battery.

Also check your ground wires that go from the NEG- battery cable to the chassis and/or from the block to the firewall. They like to jiggle loose and play havoc. Ground wires/straps need to be maintained fairly regularly. The copper likes to corrode. If the wires are still good just clean the connections good.

Hope it works out. A call to the shop couldn't hurt and if they stand by their work they should be able to work with you since they mis-diagnosed it.

They are real nice people. Have been using them for 3 years and had 1 problem with wiper blades that I was charged for and never put on. Guy looked into it and owned up to the mistake. Got free wipers. I update you guys as soon as I hear something. All good sugestions thanks you!

You are right, most of the time the clicking sound is from a weak battery,7 years old,they should have done a load test on it.,landtracdeerhunter is also right.There is a salvage yard near one of the larger cities that will replace the parts they sell for a period of time depending on the part.and are a lot cheaper then new parts.

Taking vehicles to repair shops, you're trust ing their judgement to make the right repair on the vehicle at the best price possible.  Possible, this repair shop has lost a knowledgable mechanic. Every repair shop usually has just one, mainly because of hugh overhead and operating  cost.  Others are just wrench turners.

Give the shop a chance to " go good" on the repair. Any good repair station, should honor a warranty.

On another note, wait to u see what happens to inspections next year.

did anyone attempt to jump start it? that's the first thing I would have done.

I'm trying to get a correct explanation. They said it needed a battery today. They put it in free of charge. Now they are switching out the starter again because they think the new one is defective. This is all a bit strange to me. Mechanic will cal me back..........

A bit late, but I'd speak to a manager or supervisor there and not waste your time. Demand in a polite manner that you felt it was the battery and told the technician that. I'd have them put my old starter back and compensate for time lost, or keep the new starter in the car and replace the $100 battery free of charge.

It doesn't take a genius to use a voltmeter either. Any competent shop would have special battery testing equipment.

Edited by shawnhu

Ok here is the total amount I paid. BTW there was a $60.00 tow charge in there. So lets deduct $60.00 from $418.00=$358.00. They gave me a new battery free of charge and deducted $160.00 labor cost. I'm thinking the battery would of cost $125.00?? So $358.00 - $160.00= $198.00.    $198.00-$125.00=$73.00. 

Total cost for battery and starter $73.00. 

I think this is all correct. I would say they made good on the deal. Again I think most of us have gone down this road before.

I'm happy how it turned out.

More like $198 for battery and starter. And a jump start wouldn't require a tow charge of $60. Still made good of a bad situation, just leaves a little to think about next time you are in need of their services.

Edited by shawnhu

Ok here is the total amount I paid. BTW there was a $60.00 tow charge in there. So lets deduct $60.00 from $418.00=$358.00. They gave me a new battery free of charge and deducted $160.00 labor cost. I'm thinking the battery would of cost $125.00?? So $358.00 - $160.00= $198.00.    $198.00-$125.00=$73.00. 

Total cost for battery and starter $73.00. 

I think this is all correct. I would say they made good on the deal. Again I think most of us have gone down this road before.

I'm happy how it turned out.

Sound like a very honest shop. They treated u , more then fair.

They said the jump didn't work. Also said "we will send the kid down to see if he can jump it" leaves a question in your mind??

Yes they are very honest and in three years really never had a problem till now.

Edited by First-light