Some people don't get it .....

fasteddie

It has nothing to do with "high horses" or minding someone else's business. None of us passed the law and as far as I know, none of us are responsible for enforcing the law.

Well there you have it!

I don't suspect Eddie walks into the hardware store and bust balls of folks who buy box cutters and the legality of their use in highjacking planes.

Probably doesn't feel the need to educate customers at the local grocery store purchasing beer and the consequences of drunk driving.

And one last example... he probably doesn't wait at the pharmacy and run the old folks through the wringer when they check out with their oxycontin and loritabs about what will happen if they're caught selling them on the street.

I could care less about the baiting issues brought up in the original post. When folks don't mind their own business, they may not like the responses they get in regaurd to their intrusive BS accusations. Guys that go out looking for trouble are usually the first to cry foul when they find some. Don't be that guy that goes out looking for a pile of poop to stick his finger in, and then complain that the chit stinks!

• Like 1

Well there you have it!

I don't suspect Eddie walks into the hardware store and bust balls of folks who buy box cutters and the legality of their use in highjacking planes.

Probably doesn't feel the need to educate customers at the local grocery store purchasing beer and the consequences of drunk driving.

And one last example... he probably doesn't wait at the pharmacy and run the old folks through the wringer when they check out with their oxycontin and loritabs about what will happen if they're caught selling them on the street.

I could care less about the baiting issues brought up in the original post. When folks don't mind their own business, they may not like the responses they get in regaurd to their intrusive BS accusations. Guys that go out looking for trouble are usually the first to cry foul when they find some. Don't be that guy that goes out looking for a pile of poop to stick his finger in, and then complain that the chit stinks!

I understand the attitude that says let the guy remain ignorant. After all, whatever trouble he gets into is his tough luck and nothing to me. I understand it, but don't agree with it. I can see someone innocently buying some of this stuff and never realizing that they will be committing a violation if they use it, especially after noting all the confusion on these laws right here in this forum. And all that confusion is added to by the fact that local stores are selling these materials that are illegal to be used in NYS. Why is it wrong to try to do the guy a favor and give him a heads-up on the law? What I can't understand is the reaction of the customer and some of the wacky statements he made.

this is my problem, and thanks for proving me right,

everyone has an attitude of, it's ok for me to break the LAWS I don't like, but if you do you're a horrible person

and lets hide behind there're not the same thing, well a LAW is a LAW

I don't see the connection between inadvertently breaking a speeding law and mentioning to someone in a store that the material they are buying is illegal to use. There's a lot of people (as witnessed in this forum) that are completely unaware or confused on the feeding/baiting laws. I really can't see any reason why just because I may have broken a law, that I cannot converse about the contents of another law. No, I'm sorry, but it is very likely that if I see someone buying that stuff, I will also mention to them that using it is illegal. It may very well be likely that I violated some traffic law on the way to that store but, that is not an excuse for not tipping the guy off that just because something is for sale in the store does not mean that it is legal to use.

I'm of the mind set that if it is legal, then so be it. Does that mean I partake? No. But, I'm not looking down on Joe Hunter for using a feeder legally. I just mark that spot off the list to hunt because most people who feed have trouble actually killing the mature buck they think shows up there. You can in most cases eliminate that area as a place to potentially harvest a mature buck.

I hunt a state where baiting is legal. I have, however, used mineral licks to census the deer and buck quality in the area before. Hunting over mineral licks is pointless. The landowner runs a feeder, but that's not where the mature bucks usuallty show up. Sure, if you want to kill a doe or young bucks.

Hunting means different things to different people. It's also practiced differently in different parts of the country and world. Most African hunts are fenced-in for pete's sake.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I'm of the mind set that if it is legal, then so be it. Does that mean I partake? No. But, I'm not looking down on Joe Hunter for using a feeder legally. I just mark that spot off the list to hunt because most people who feed have trouble actually killing the mature buck they think shows up there. You can in most cases eliminate that area as a place to potentially harvest a mature buck.

I hunt a state where baiting is legal. I have, however, used mineral licks to census the deer and buck quality in the area before. Hunting over mineral licks is pointless. The landowner runs a feeder, but that's not where the mature bucks usuallty show up. Sure, if you want to kill a doe or young bucks.

Hunting means different things to different people. It's also practiced differently in different parts of the country and world. Most African hunts are fenced-in for pete's sake.

I have a peculiar hang-up about conditioning (training) wildlife to modify their behavior to suit my ease of harvest. Don't ask me why I choose to pick that particular limit. I don't really know other than it begins an endless string of activities that I don't believe have any place in hunting. I have always felt that I should hunt the critters as I find them in the wild rather than trying to modify the wildness out of them for my convenience. Yes, that's some pretty rigid thinking, but that is just a personal limit that I have imposed on my idea of hunting.

I have a peculiar hang-up about conditioning (training) wildlife to modify their behavior to suit my ease of harvest. Don't ask me why I choose to pick that particular limit. I don't really know other than it begins an endless string of activities that I don't believe have any place in hunting. I have always felt that I should hunt the critters as I find them in the wild rather than trying to modify the wildness out of them for my convenience. Yes, that's some pretty rigid thinking, but that is just a personal limit that I have imposed on my idea of hunting.

Good for you. The key is personal. Not universal.

I'm sure there's no shortage of hunter's in NY who use some type of bait to assist them in their hunting..........if there wasn't a viable market here for that crap, I'm sure the shelves wouldn't be stocked in every large sporting goods store..............it would be interesting to see how much the corn sales increase right around hunting season.

100% agree.

I will tell someone that baiting is illegal, hell, I may even bust their chops about it, but thats about as far as I go. If they get caught, I wont feel bad for them. Gander Mountain usually has a board for posting up trail cam pics in the store, starting around this time of the year. You can see all kinds of pics of deer eating out of troughs and feeders there. DEC could probably spend a little time watching who puts the pics up on there and catch the guys red handed, but they dont have the staff to do so. Honestly, I would much rather see them bust guys for outright poaching, taking deer out of season, jack lighting, etc than have them play salt-lick cop.

• Like 1

how would some of you react if a neighboring landowner was baiting heavily to the point that it affected your hunting? it's easy to say mind your own business, until it affects you directly.

whether my neighbor plants a 5 acre clover feild, or dumps a 50# bag of corn on the ground it's going to affect me,

but I still mind my own business,

more people should try it

we had a neighbor baiting heavily on our land... (without us knowing) you had better believe we yelled at him when we found out he also got told that if he does it again he will have his hunting rights on our property taken away and be turned in... (he is the only neighbor who can hunt it and he does not hunt very much... he is a real old guy) he had pics of bigger and better bucks over that bait pile than ive ever got so far... even tho its tempting i decided to go the legal route and not use any baits...

how would some of you react if a neighboring landowner was baiting heavily to the point that it affected your hunting? it's easy to say mind your own business, until it affects you directly.

If this were a scenario in a legal state, it wouldn't. People think baiting is some huge unfair advantage that draws in monster bucks from three counties over. It's not. Most people how bait don't have walls full of big racks. Some do, but it's much more likely a by product of the ground they hunt rather than the bait or their skill set.

If someone were baiting nearby, I'm simply going to make cover and bedding. He can wonder why those mature bucks show up at night, and I can enjoy filling tags. If anything, his "heavy baiting" makes my life easier.

Dayum , I didn't think I would turn out to be the bad guy by telling someone using bait is illegal in the state ! If the guy hadn't told me how good it was , we wouldn't even have had a conversation at all .

He came across as belligerent when I mentioned the fact that it is illegal and I don't use the stuff but he persisted in saying how well it works .

I said I wouldn't even try it as the 1st time I would probably have someone arresting me for an illegal activity and he said the guy would get a dose of lead . I figured the guy had a screw loose in his head . Yeah , I am a terrible person ...........

I had an incident a couple years ago when I had a camera set up on a friend's property . Apparently there were apples placed in front of the camera . I was in disbelief when someone mentioned it . I found out that my friend's kid put some there "to help me out" . I asked him not to as it would get me in trouble and that was it . Apparently the kid was smarter than the guy I met in the store !

If this were a scenario in a legal state, it wouldn't. People think baiting is some huge unfair advantage that draws in monster bucks from three counties over. It's not. Most people how bait don't have walls full of big racks. Some do, but it's much more likely a by product of the ground they hunt rather than the bait or their skill set.

If someone were baiting nearby, I'm simply going to make cover and bedding. He can wonder why those mature bucks show up at night, and I can enjoy filling tags. If anything, his "heavy baiting" makes my life easier.

we're taking NY were it's not legal, if it weren't this topic would be a non-issue..........back when feeding deer was legal, I had a non-hunting acquaintance who bought a piece of property and took up feeding the deer regularly, what began as 1 or 2 visiting, turned into 8-10 does that showing up and actually began bedding within sight of the house, they had no reason to leave, I always believed the best way to find the bucks is to find the does.......I would find it hard to believe this didn't affect people who hunted around this area in some way or another............if it's illegal, that's it, why should some scumbag get an unfair advantage over the rest of the hunter's who follow the rules, and I would guess that the guy baiting is doing so just to kill any deer, and would probably have no problem shooting that mature buck after hours or out of season if the opportunity was to present itself.

I know guys in NY that have made calls to the TIPP line and spoken directly to DEC officers about feeders that are directly viewable from the road, and nothing is ever done. The DEC just doesnt have the staff to do much about it.

I would guess that feeding / baiting is an epidemic in NY, unless there are some other allegations to go along with the feeders, they can't won't or can't look into every complaint.....we have a neighbor who calls on anyone about anything, we've always been visited by the NY State PD, DEC or whoever, looking into everything he calls about..........all unfounded BS, but they say they have to follow up on all calls.

• Like 1

whether my neighbor plants a 5 acre clover feild, or dumps a 50# bag of corn on the ground it's going to affect me,

So if your neighbor was shooting deer two weeks before the season opened you would "mind your own business", or would you only" mind your own business" when it comes to laws you disagree with ?? . I don't necessarily agree with all of the hunting rules, but they are the rules. If we all just "mind our own business" I think we would see a noticeable decline in the deer herd, in a pretty short time.

the big difference is one is legal and one is not, if you saw your neighbor walk out of his house and go to his stand carrying a crossbow would you feel the same way?...if you saw your neighbor dragging a buck that you've been watching all year,and knew it was taken by illegal means, would you feel the same way? if you knew your neighbor used a spotlight to kill one or two does a year is that ok?

Someone sounds bitter. While I feel for you, if they are baiting and you've done what you can, you have a pattern you can exploit.

Why do you think baiting is illegal?  ......What is your understanding of it?

Due to.... please correct me on county..I may be wrong...Sullivan County deer feeding ruling the DEC was suppose to change the wording of the feeding ban law ...did they ever do that?...For it was my understanding that to abait further court actions they were...backing off the enforcement of the existing law in the rest of the state...I ask this knowing full well the difference between feeding and baiting..just to avoid that discussion. 

(sp)

Edited by growalot

Due to.... please correct me on county..I may be wrong...Sullivan County deer feeding ruling the DEC was suppose to change the wording of the feeding ban law ...did they ever do that?...For it was my understanding that to abait further court actions they were...backing off the enforcement of the existing law in the rest of the state...I ask this knowing full well the difference between feeding and baiting..just tom avoid that discussion. 

I think that ruling was exclusive to that case, they made no changes to the law as a result.

People think baiting is some huge unfair advantage that draws in monster bucks from three counties over. It's not.

Unfortunately, there is no shortage of pictorial and video evidence to the contrary in magazine articles and TV programs where if you look real carefully off to the side near some of these monster bucks, you might spot the feeder that put these deer in front of the box-blind or whatever. Unless there is something extremely unique about NYS that makes our big bucks a lot more cautious than anywhere else ..... lol. I don't know about the "3 counties over" qualifier, but yes, feeders attract deer in from other properties. And of course they attract a lot more does and young bucks than mature ones simply because there are more of them.

As a side issue, I have read about states where feeding/baiting is legal where guys are feeling compelled to maintain bait/feeding stations just to level the playing field with surrounding neighbors. A lot of this activity amounts to "deer hoarding" where hunters are attempting to draw the deer away from their neighbor's land. Who the hell needs that going on in your hunting area. Again, the mentality behind all of these kinds of things is to modify wild deer behavior to facilitate the baiter's success. Real good deal for manufacturers who sell bait-stations and commercial deer food. Not all that good for guys that are just barely able to afford what licenses and the hunting equipment they have now.

• Like 1