Tree stand height

YFKI1983

I prefer close range shots even being 20' up. I practice on apples in my yard. Ive even used smaller objects. Don't get me wrong, no going for spine shots buy you would be surprised at howmuch area you have to place a shot that drains em out ASAP. Higher entry, very low exit, blood instantly and alot of it. It's all about shot placement. I've killed many deer from 8 yards or so to around 10 and they don't go more then 40 yards and spill out in a hurry. Ive got a lot of experience in those close quater shots. I won't shoot strait down but if there's enough angle for me to slide one on through, the damage can be devistating. It's not. Low percentage shot in my book. But then again, I practice those shots a lot. Placement is crucial...

• Like 1

One thing that i didn't see mentioned to much was terrain in regards to deer sight paths.  if you are in the middle of a hill and the deer travel up and down the hill the may be looking right at you while they walk up, if they are going across the hill then that's a different situation.  if you are on top of  ridge you might be able to set back a little from the edge and stay lower.  if you are at the base you might be at a moderate height where the deer could be looking down most of the time but out of sight enough that you can move to get situated for the shot.  Best thing to do is look at the tree you want, figure out the wind directions, walk to your effective range and see what the deer might pick up, and then think about shot angle.  Most of my stands are 15' ladder stands, but i have hunted in the 30' 2x6 platforms and been busted and then on the other extreme i was going to put my hang on just off the ground for a seat and was making all kinds of noise and had a doe come in to 20 yards and shot her.  Every situation is different.  you could have two trees side by side and you might want to play the game two different ways.  I also agree with the cover you have, if it is dense pines and you have good cover you probably wont get up to 20' because you will be hunting sky chickens, and if you hunt in hardwoods you are a sitting duck for keen eyes.   This is just my opinion and hope it helps.

Do lots of scent control as well, can try to eliminate variables one at a time.  once they are eliminated the situation may present its self.  

I'm a 15 to 20 foot guy as well. But I also found many guys can't guess the height of their stands very well at all, when you hang em bring a line with knots at 15 and 20 feet and see.

I walked over and touched stands with an arrow, when the guy said it was 15 feet up...

• Like 1

I'm a 15 to 20 foot guy as well. But I also found many guys can't guess the height of their stands very well at all, when you hang em bring a line with knots at 15 and 20 feet and see.

I walked over and touched stands with an arrow, when the guy said it was 15 feet up...

This is worth bolding, italics, and underlining. I have this same experience.

Depends on the stand location. If you're hunting on a hillside, you want to consider the highside of the hill and that they may be level with you. Good time to use stand blinds. All of ours are from 20-30. I realize that's knee shaking territory for some people, but we rarely get busted.

I have never hunted out of a treestand.  Hoever, mathematically-speaking the higher you go, the smaller the kill zone gets. I'm sure you can look it up, but I would guess 12'-18' is ideal if you want to be in a treestand.

I find it interesting you preface your advice on where he should be with "i've never hunted from a treestand". I guess this is better than just leaving your experience out of the post though B)

I do agree that the killzone shrinks, however I believe that you should always practice like you play. My practice stand is at 22'. Like anything, if you practice at certain heights and angles it should not affect you in the field. I'd rather have my success come down to my skill as an archer, then getting busted from being too low visually and scent.

easiest way to judge height is if you're using ladder sticks, or break out the range finder. And I agree. I've seen some 10 footers where guys think they're way up there in the tree.

Edited by Belo

sounds like all good advice. I just bought a new bow and climber...cant wait to get out there and practice from that height. I need to spend some time up there before season starts to get used to the being 20 feet up, I dont want to be shaking up there come opening day. Im usually at 15 feet. I know another 5 feet up doesnt sound like much but when your a little uncomfortable with heights its quite a bit.

Take the climber on day one of practice and set it at 5 feet. Each day...climb up one foot and shoot. Itll come second nature after a while for many. It takes me a few climbs to be familiar again with heights.

You'll do fine!

fwiw, climbers are a little harder to get up that high. The tree generally gets thinner, and I would feel better with a hanging stand then a climber. But I'll add the disclaimer that I've only used a climber for 1 season. so I'm used to permanent stands with safety harness tie-offs already in place.

Edited by Belo

fwiw, climbers are a little harder to get up that high. The tree generally gets thinner, and I would feel better with a hanging stand then a climber. But I'll add the disclaimer that I've only used a climber for 1 season. so I'm used to permanent stands with safety harness tie-offs already in place.

I cant remember the name of it, but theres at least 1 out there that can be adjusted while you climb. Its pretty neat. Ill see if I cant dig it up.

I've been a 20-25 ft high hunter in the big, open hardwoods.  Hunted A.S.P. many years with a climber with a lot of success.  In thick cover, I've been lower, usually due to the canopy not letting me go higher and still have a shot. 

When I first bought a climber, started practicing with my bow from it just shooting from 2 ft up, just to let me get used to where my feet could go, how stable it was, where I could move in it etc.  Once I got comfortable with that, started shooting from higher  and higher, until I got used to shooting into the block from 25 feet up.  Slow and steady, like Phade said, will reap a lot of benefit when the deer shows up.

Practice also will help you get used to judging tree taper.  I've been in some pretty small trees that had a 30 degree in tilt at the bottom, to a 10 degree away tilt once I got to hunting height.  If your climbing, and need to make an adjustment, just climb back down to do it.  It only takes a couple of minutes, and then we won't have to read about you in the paper, after they find you...

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the time I use a climber in hardwood areas. I prefer at least 25 feet up. That said, I always use a HSS full body harness and just started using a lifeline last year. Not only are you always connected, but it's also easier to judge height. The lifeline is 30 feet long so I know when I get close to running out of rope that I'm high enough.

The stands I use to use had a max at 12 foot - ladder was 3) 3-foot sections that interlock and then you have the foot rest and seat section.

They were custom-made by a family friend 30 years ago.  He was an engineer by profession and did welding during his stint in the Air Force.  These are heavy stands - 70 lbs mostly of steel.  A couple people in our hunting party were hefty, so they were over engineered.

At the time I lived in very flat terrain so 9-12 foot worked fine.  I not very fond of heights so 9' works for me on windy days that makes the trees sway. Of course the deer have come from behind to the right instead of up from the natural spring as they did in the past.  That is when you wish you were on the ground instead of in a stand.

I like 16'-18' for two main reasons. It's a comfortable, workable height for me. Ladder stands over 18', including a 15' with an extension section seem to be a chore to set-up and secure. With a climber I find myself maybe a foot +/- higher - sticks and a hang on maybe a foot +/- lower. I don't like having to climb into a stand so to say, should be able to more or less step into it. 

25'+ - not for me, might as well piss myself now.