Tree stand height

YFKI1983

Most of my tree stands are at 15 feet.  I had a nice buck come in at 15 yards and couldnt draw because he was looking in my direction. After about 30 seconds he just turned and left. Im not sure if he smelled me, I dont think he saw me because he didnt run off. He just walked away.

Im going to be using a climbing stand more often than not. Is 20 ft high enough or are should I be going higher.

I have never hunted out of a treestand.  Hoever, mathematically-speaking the higher you go, the smaller the kill zone gets. I'm sure you can look it up, but I would guess 12'-18' is ideal if you want to be in a treestand.

• Like 2

I have stands at all different heights I set them according to where I'm hunting I've had one stand hanging over the edge of the river bottom at letchworth from my platform to the ground was 138' the side of the tree that I climbed up was only 10' up lol shot gun stand. My favorite bow stand was only 9' off the ground it was in a thicket any higher up and I wouldn't have many shot opportunities

This is the score...you could be 30 ft up and if you don't know the areas thermals it would do you ,not  a darn bit of good if they are not in your favor at the time of day you are hunting...this is where "hunting  an all day stand " gets tricky for the thermals of any area change with the time of day cool night air meeting the sun and vise versa...Google hunting thermals and you should be able to find information on them in regards to the terrain ,time of year and wind speeds and directions

Just go and set up a stand in the area you intend on hunting at a height you are comfortable with, set up some targets or things to shoot at, at different distances and mark them for reference.If you can go out at sunrise, noon and sunset and practice ,whenever you can.And keep in mind deer love to walk behind  a tree right where you intend to place your arrow or bullet.

It all depends on where you're sitting. If you're in a pine tree or some other tree with plenty of cove you can be good at 10 feet. If you're in a tree with no branches or cover out in the middle of the wide open hardwoods then you better go 20+ feet.

I second that...if you're sky lined in a straight tree, in open hardwoods, you need to be higher. 

I have a few spots where I can only set up in  straight hardwood trees . I go a little higher and sometimes (pre season) I will cut a bunch of branches ,preferably pine or hemlock , and bungee cord them to the back of my tree. I arrange them so they stick out a few feet on each side. It helps limit sky lining

height is only a factor of available cover 1st and formost, 2nd is comfort. if the cover dictates a 30 ft stand and you are afraid of anything over 10' dont hunt there! you'll spook more game than u see. same if cover is to thick for an effective shot over 10' dont hang your stand at 20' you will get fustrated at seeing deer you cant shoot or you'll deflect and make a poor shot. when you find a spot you want to hunt draw an imaginary circle of 18 yrds from that spot. the prevaling wind will tell you where in the circle the tree for your stand needs to be. then cover will dictate the hight of your stand. (those with only climbers you'll find look for a tree that the stand will work on. straight and limbless and are forced to go higher than those with a hangon that can go in a tree with many limbs and using that cover can be much lower. climbers may not be able to use wind to their advantage due to lack of suitable tree for their stand.)

I agree that cover should dictate.  You can be seen at 10 or 20 if you have no cover.  Also, the steeper the shot, the harder it is as the deer gets closer.  I hunted a few time last year at 20 and was still spotted once.  That was open hardwoods where the deer was watching me as it approached.  may have worked better if it was heavy cover even down at the deer's line of sight.

i dont sit below 16 feet... just my  preference. i usually sit around the 20-25" on average. im used to Long island, if your at 10 foot with deer that look up every second of their life you are bound to be picked off.  you cant go wrong with 20 feet, my motto, the higher the better. But if your that high and you hunt with the bow you might want to take some practice shots and test shots from 20 feet, close shots tend to go high due to the angle. i have a "tree stand pin" that sits above my 20 yard and its for shots 15 yards or closer from a high tree stand.

A couple of examples, Platform with guard rails, not a wimpy strap on stand.2"x 6" lumber sandwitched around a 3 forked tree with threaded rod washers, lock washers and nuts,2" x 6" lumber for the platform.Very quiet and sturdy, 15' up.Used 5 years had a couple of 4 & 6 pointers walk within feet of it and never looked up.1 doe and 1 spike look up.Stand # 2 built the same way only 25' Up ( a friends platform )  I was up in it one day then a snow storm kicked up a 4 pointer came running Into the blowing snow, I turned to put the sights on it and it looked up right at me.Stand # 3 on Long Island, 2 man ladder stand with camo burlap, Got a 6 pointer never new I was there.Another time a Doe looked up at me from 30 yards away.

So stands with camo or branches work most of the time,Depending On The Wind and where the deer are coming from, Into or With the wind.

Depends on the tree and the area.  There are some trees I am only 15 feet (pines and cedars)  and then some trees I am over 30.  Just remember, if you are gonna hunt that High make sure you practice at that height.  They look like ants sometimes when you are real high............

Cover and thermals dictate this decision outside of personal comfort.

15-20 is 99% of my set height. I have been as high as 32 feet, and that was necessary but not preferable.

Even at 19-20, you start to reach issues with shots 10 yards and in risking single lung hits. If you don't have practice at shooting at that height, you will want to set up for 15-30 yard shots. I've shot some amazingly close deer at 15 ft. If the cover and thermals allow it, then 15 ft, 10 ft, 12, ft. etc. is fine. I have hunted one stand that is between 6-8 ft. and it just clears the cover to shoot...all you need sometimes.

• Like 2

32 feet wasn't pretty, but thankfully it was a very healthy old tree.

That height creates a ton of angle problems, one lung hits are never fun. Especially in NY terms, due to smaller property sizes.

20' can even be tough when you are looking at 5-10 yd shots. I've passed up a few because of such angles and not having enough time to adjust my shot accordingly.

I've been as high at 30,... makes little diff on the vitals because the higher up into the canopy you get the better you are hidden.  The deer will likely get closer in and shadows from movement will be less of an issue.  I usually sit right around 20 feet.  Its a good height.  

I usually shoot for the 20 foot mark.  It does depend though on how comfortable you are with heights.  I was talking to a guy who hunts the same farm as I do and he mentioned to me that he though my stands were crazy high (20 feet) and when I came across his stands I could see why he thought mine were so high, he only goes up about 10 feet (too low in my opinion) 

I've been as high at 30,... makes little diff on the vitals because the higher up into the canopy you get the better you are hidden.  The deer will likely get closer in and shadows from movement will be less of an issue.  I usually sit right around 20 feet.  Its a good height.  

How does that make any sense at all? Your shot angle gets exponentially worse as your stand height increases and your shot distance (base of tree outward) decreases. a 5 yard shot at 15' is much less difficult than a 5 yard shot from 20, 25' and 30' stand by comparison. One lung hits become much more common at those taller heights.

Are such sets necessary in certain situations, yes. But, does it make little difference? No. It makes a big one in relation to shot angle.