Looking for a backpack

I have one backpack and its a giant camping one way too big for hunting. I am looking for a backpack able to hold all my calls, field dressing stuff, first aid, water, lunch, etc. A good sized DAY pack (im 5'8 14 years old). While staying within a teenagers budget of maybe 50 bucks give or take. Anyone have any recommendations?  Thanks

I got a good backpack a few years ago. Lots of pockets and a big main compartment. I put my tree seat in there and even a turtle neck or some extra socks. The outside pockets I use for my calls, field dressing stuff. I use a few of the pockets for waters and lunch and snacks. I think Imight have paid a little over $60 for it. Got it at herbs. Shop around there are a lot out there. And keep saving some cash, get something you want, something that can hold all the stuff you want to bring in the woods. When I gun hunt I am in the woods from sunrise to sunset. Lots of time before the season starts. Lots of places will be having preseason sales here pretty soon too.

My pac is not the best suited for hunting by any means, but it takes pretty much all the abuse I can dish out to it in a 10 month period.

I can stuff darn near anything I need to bring along, or anything I find along the way in there, but it does make quite a bit of noise when it brushes on the brush. It was $44 at Wally-world online and has an internal frame.

I wouldn't recomend it though if you wanna look cool to your hunting buddies!

medium.jpg

Edited by wooly
  • Like 1

My pac is not the best suited for hunting by any means, but it takes pretty much all the abuse I can dish out to it in a 10 month period.

I can stuff darn near anything I need to bring along, or anything I find along the way in there, but it does make quite a bit of noise when it brushes on the brush. It was $44 at Wally-world online and has an internal frame.

I wouldn't recomend it though if you wanna look cool to your hunting buddies!

medium.jpg

Would a pack with a frame be too big for me? And as long as it gets the job done. What about the black, do deer spot it because its not camo?  nice set of horns on that head!

Here is the one I have. Not to big but big enough to hold what I need. I forgot who it was that said Walmart has them. I forgot about them. They usually have a good variety. The closer you get to the season the more stores will have. I was talking to a guy at dicks when I was getting some cleats for my son and he said the won't start getting a lot of stuff in til the middle of august beginning of Sept.

post-2680-0-44215100-1374808778_thumb.jp

a day pack with an internal is not the same as an external frame pack that is used for real backpacking - those come in 3 frames, youth, women's, and adult male in order to fit your torso and distribute the weight properly.  Unless you will be doing a combo backpacking/hunting trip, stay away from the external frames (they start around $80).

a day pack with an internal frame is usually just two stays (flat metal rods) to provide stiffness and shape to focus the weigh close to your back and down towards your hips.  They are made male or female (different shoulder strap shape and different shoulder width to accommodate the body shape on the women).  Sizing [example 800 cu, 1400 cu] is for volume size of items carried.

If you will be carrying heavy items in it (sweater, flashlight w/spare batteries, lunch, water, extra ammo, heavy rope(for a drag or repelling), look for something with a thick padded belt on it. It will focus the weight to your hips and your back will thank you for it later.  If going all day in warm weather, you may be carrying a lot of water whichs gets heavy, 8lbs/gallon.  Plan on saving space for your jacket.  You may need to stash it when dragging out a deer.

If sling-carrying your gun, look for a narrower design on the daypack in order to get the gun on your shoulder.

Look for sturdy zippers.  I would lean towards a bag with a hydration system or designed to add one in.  Alot less fumbling around to access water and you can drink and walk. For hydration, do not get no-name brand - have seen them leak.  Look at platypus or camelback hydration kits.

If purchasing a camo colored pack, try to get one that blends with the rest for your camo gear.  Sharp-eyed game may notice that something does not look right.

Personally, I wear pants with cargo pocket for small items and use a waist pack that holds waterbottles and a snack. I go back to vehicle for lunch and change to different area if no fresh signs during morning hunt.  I have a millitary clip-on pouch that I squeeze a turkey decoy into for turkey season.

Edited by Two Track

Very informative guys thanks! il be looking back at this later on once family problems are cleared up and my dads willing to bring me out to get set. i have been waiting for a month to get some new arrows and my peep sight raised ,my dad has "no time".  

Many types of packs are available in a variety of material and price.  Make sure it is quiet, good camo pattern and is large enough for what ever you will need at your coldest time hunting.  (largest extra clothes) 

I hunt all day and by noon I am usually a half mile to a few miles deep so I bring lunch in a Tupperware container, snacks, soda, water, Gatorade, matches, lighters, neck warmer, warm hat, rain gear, sweatshirt and pants, socks, gloves, survival kit, knives, drag rope, GPS, emergency blanket, calls, flashlights and extra batteries, map and 2 compass, toilet paper and wipes...  2 way radio when im not solo water purifier when I am.  If you do not hunt all day a fanny pack works great and extra pant and jacket pockets can hold much of your gear.  IF you know the weather for the day much of the extra clothes can be lost.  But up in the ADK I trust no weather person and always bring the extra clothes with the intension of it turning bad at any moment...  Those clothes saved me many times or I would be going back to camp for lunch to "warm up" or end the day early.  I try to dress light for the day so I don't sweat while stalking or hiking, when I find a nice area I tend to sit and post until dark and as we all know that last hour can be very cold compared to the day time.  Sweat pants and shirt keep in extra body heat and the rain gear acts as a wind breaker, socks, head and neck warmer keep me warm enough to sit until I cant shoot, usually...

I usually have my GPS, compass and 2 calls on a string around my neck.  Doe bleeps in jacket pocket with camo bandanas and neck gaiter for noise suppression, extra ammo during rifle season in gloves, everything else is in the pack.  I remove some of this if I am stand hunting private land or if hunting bow on LI.  The extra clothes keeps everything in the pack quiet!

Depending on how you hunt will dictate the best sized pack and what to put in it...  Good luck.

The digital camo one at walmart works great lots of pockets and plenty of room for everything you need to bring into the field, I bought 3 of them, One for gun,one for bow and one for waterfowl, everything is easily organized and when hung from a hook on the side of the tree easily accessible as well, They are light weight and very durable.

This is the bag I use.  While it's listed as more than you're willing to pay, I actually paid under $50 for it.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3676707&ppp=34&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.4414468

Every summer, hunting gear usually goes on sale as they make room for their new inventory.  You may have already missed the big sales or it might be coming up in the next week or so.

As far as what backpack is good for you, I have to agree with NFA-ADK.  I spend all day in the field so I usually carry drinks, food, first-aid kit, compass/maps, fire starter, GPS with extra batteries, extra clothing layer, and some field dressing stuff and game calls if I'm hunting and not scouting.  Yes, some light trips, the bag is bigger than I need it to be but I rather have it empty during light treks than have to have multiple bags for different occasions.

As far as which bag is best for you, to me, bags are like clothes.  You have to try them on and see how they feel on your back.  Each individual is different.  If I'm going to have something strapped to my back all day like several miles, I want it to be comfortable, hugs my back, and holds it's weight well.  Heavy duty waist straps are makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

This is the bag I use.  While it's listed as more than you're willing to pay, I actually paid under $50 for it.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3676707&ppp=34&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.4414468

Every summer, hunting gear usually goes on sale as they make room for their new inventory.  You may have already missed the big sales or it might be coming up in the next week or so.

As far as what backpack is good for you, I have to agree with NFA-ADK.  I spend all day in the field so I usually carry drinks, food, first-aid kit, compass/maps, fire starter, GPS with extra batteries, extra clothing layer, and some field dressing stuff and game calls if I'm hunting and not scouting.  Yes, some light trips, the bag is bigger than I need it to be but I rather have it empty during light treks than have to have multiple bags for different occasions.

As far as which bag is best for you, to me, bags are like clothes.  You have to try them on and see how they feel on your back.  Each individual is different.  If I'm going to have something strapped to my back all day like several miles, I want it to be comfortable, hugs my back, and holds it's weight well.  Heavy duty waist straps are makes a huge difference.

How is the pack for quick access to calls etc from it hanging next to you in a tree?

I found my pack out in the woods! thats right i found a Columbia pack in realtree hardwoods just laying in the woods... it had gloves (3 pair, camo) rattling antlers, scent elimination spray, and some other small stuff in it... im sure it was worth around $100 new...

Hey 3M, for hunting from treestand, especially if you are just doing a morning or evening post, you may be able to get away with just a small fanny pack. That's all I use. Most of my pants have cargo pockets, so that helps. But really for a few hrs in a stand, I don't find I need toi carry much. knife, tag, pen, caLl or 2, gps,light, glove, release,face mask,and my extra shirt usually tucked into fanny pack belt, and no drink or food.

Its really nice to have a couple different packs that u can use for different types of hunts. And since you have a big pack already, I'd go for a fanny pack.

And good luck with working it out with your dad.

Hey 3M, for hunting from treestand, especially if you are just doing a morning or evening post, you may be able to get away with just a small fanny pack. That's all I use. Most of my pants have cargo pockets, so that helps. But really for a few hrs in a stand, I don't find I need toi carry much. knife, tag, pen, caLl or 2, gps,light, glove, release,face mask,and my extra shirt usually tucked into fanny pack belt, and no drink or food.

Its really nice to have a couple different packs that u can use for different types of hunts. And since you have a big pack already, I'd go for a fanny pack.

And good luck with working it out with your dad.

Thanks alot. but the only thing with fanny packs is they don't really fit around my waist. And its hard to find descent sized youth ones

How is the pack for quick access to calls etc from it hanging next to you in a tree?

The bag has straps on it to hook to the tree so you can access stuff easily when in a tree stand but I never really use it because I use this instead:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Big-Game-Treestands-Multi-Hook-Accessory-Holder&i=429226&aID=503H5&merchID=4006

So when I get into the stand, I take out everything I need, water, binos, calls, etc and hang them to these hooks right above my head.

Orange County...a bit too far.  If not, I would give you your pick of the number of packs I have that I no longer use.  (Hint:  70 year old farts do not carry packs any more!)

Your wrong about that I am 70 + and I carry the one ELMO has pictured on the first page.Nice and light and carry everything I need for the day. Just hate the fanny packs.