Is NYB shooting themselves in the foot?

RangerClay

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone please expain to me why NYB would be opposed to Crossbow hunting during the regular firearm season?

I believe we should be able to use them myself theres realy no good explination why we can not we can use rifles in some areas that we should not so why not 

After reading the last 3 paragraphs of this article, I'm beginning to wonder. 

http://www.registerstar.com/articles/2010/06/03/columnists/outdoors/doc4c0734afc110d893809425.txt

Frankly, I wouldn't be too upset by an article that has obvious slanted reporting going on. It's not the first time that editorial comment has slipped into supposed "unbiased news reporting".

Doc

in a state where the average hunter age has increased to 47 years old, and that has lost some 200 thousand hunters in the last 2 decades i would have to say the "ny bowhunters" are a big negative for hunting in our state. crossbows will bring alot of renewed interest into the sport and keep older hunters in the game alot longer. for every 100 hunters we lose in NY due to age we only replace 55.....

the numbers will catch up to us in this very anti hunting state one day and we have lots of people with lots of money and connections who would love to abolish our sport and are working on it "RIGHT NOW"!

yea and read the last part of the article, the NY bowhunters are hanging out in the waiting area outside the meeting with an animal rights group both protesting the same thing???

• 4 weeks later...

I am an NYB member and was at this press conference. The bill as it was that day was still not to put the crossbow in the firearms season but in archery season. Senator Valesky himself had no idea of what his own bill had in it. We met with his staff right after that press conference and the language was changed. NYB has never opposed the crossbow in a firearm season. There were NO anti hunters anywhere in that building. The writer of the news article has been an NYB hater for many years as are several others (some of whom are actually NYB members!) and they all buy ink by the 55 gallon drum. They won't print the truth and we can't compete with writers that are given free equipment & trips to promote a superior weapon by waving the handicapped, women & children flag. As soon as another state bowhunting organization starts up that does more to promote & preserve bowhunting in NY, I'll join. Until then, NYB is my organization.

Now wait a minute ....... it was in the news (or something almost like news), We all know that everything that is printed is actual fact ...... right?

Yes the NYB has enemies. Anyone who stands up for the rights of their constituents is going to have frantic people who fear them being organized and able to stand up for themselves. Not completely unlike the animal rights crowd, these people truly fear an organized bowhunter group. It is not in their best interest to see bowhunters organized. When the animal rights coalition stood up and declared eliminating bowhunting as their top priority, they weren't the only ones who had that same goal.  And yes, many of these people have the power of the media behind them.

Always be a bit skeptical when stuff that is being passed off as news reporting begins to sound more like an editorial.

I am an NYB member and was at this press conference. The bill as it was that day was still not to put the crossbow in the firearms season but in archery season. Senator Valesky himself had no idea of what his own bill had in it. We met with his staff right after that press conference and the language was changed. NYB has never opposed the crossbow in a firearm season. There were NO anti hunters anywhere in that building. The writer of the news article has been an NYB hater for many years as are several others (some of whom are actually NYB members!) and they all buy ink by the 55 gallon drum. They won't print the truth and we can't compete with writers that are given free equipment & trips to promote a superior weapon by waving the handicapped, women & children flag. As soon as another state bowhunting organization starts up that does more to promote & preserve bowhunting in NY, I'll join. Until then, NYB is my organization.

I understood the bill to be; "to legalize the Xbow" No restrictions" "Let the DEC regulate it" then it was changed several times. I don't recall the archery season part in the bill before I was called and asked if it was OK to place the Xbow in the late ML season.

What confused me was when I finally saw this latest version it should have also supported the use on private land during all season's and now its not. Humm again the state is handi-capping the land owner.

I will agree and have argued for many many years that sportsmen have to stop, as Rich wrote: "to stop waving the handicapped, women & children flag". 

That we should work for all and not part of us.

In fact ,when I was President, I had the Wayne County Sporsmen's Federation issue a by-law resolution to do just that.

In addition to my argument I've also written and spoke about it in SCOPE,NYSMLA,WCSC,NYSCC & FLCC meetings.

People agree with the idea, but many fail to follow through.

I'll say it again, since the NYSMLA/NYB proposal last year I've yet to be interviewed by any of the outdoor writers. I sure do get plenty of calls and emails from other folks though.  :)

BPB

PS: we all ready have 4 or 5 Xbow threads here, we really don't need another one. Lets wait and see if the Gov signs the bill.

And the snapping turtle, trap ID tag bills as well.

I am an NYB member and was at this press conference. The bill as it was that day was still not to put the crossbow in the firearms season but in archery season.

Well, to tell the truth I feel the archery season is where the crossbow belongs. I've hunted with a bow since I was a teenager and there have always been archers opposed to changes of equipment. There were those that felt a recurve bow shouldn't be in the same season as the longbow. And the compound bow stirred up at least as many arguments as the crossbow. Now as I am closeing in on my senior license the shoulders and elbow make pulling a compound pretty difficult. I'd welcome the use of a crossbow during archery season. Then who know maybe I can join NYB and have less of a chance of missing my foot. 

I think that as long as there are "special weapons" seasons, there will always be differences of opinions as to what belongs in those seasons and there will always be those that want to push and force themselves into those seasons, and there will always be organizations who do their best to protect the seasons of their members against the encroachment of inappropriate weapons. That's what they are supposed to do. Some people call it shooting themselves in the foot, others call it doing their job. If you want to test out that theory, just see what kind of hell you would start if you suggested that muzzleloader season be opened up to shotguns pistols and rifles. I've got a feeling that the NYMLA would all of sudden become quite exclusionary and darned vocal about it too even though there is no real justification anymore for a special muzzleloader season.

Doc

Well Doc I don't see NYB as an oranization standing up for archer in the state of NY. I see them as a group of self-righteous hypocrites such as yourself, that feel they have the right to determine what everyone else should be doing. Much like the anti hunters feeling they have the right to determine there should be no hunting. Read your own post where you have determined the archery season belongs to NYB members. You have decided for everyone that the crossbow is an inappropriate weapon. You have determine that there is no justification for a muzzleloader season. It is no wonder that most archers in the state of NY want nothing to do with your organization.

capt terry.. what other orginazation is doing any thing for archers. Who is pushing for an earlier opener and every thing else NYB does? I keep asking this and no one is answering my question. Also what crossbow group is doing any thing to help all archery hunters out?

Just because we don't all agree on every thing doesn't mean there can't be some type of common ground, but then again I haven't seen any one working for archers as a group other than NYB.

Really, they haven't asked for a earlier opener, a youth weekend for gun, or any thing in your opinion? So if a change happens that they had a hand in and crossbows go into archery season, wouldn't that mean crossbow hunters had some thing done for them?

What are crossbow groups doing for archers of all kinds?

Well Doc I don't see NYB as an oranization standing up for archer in the state of NY. I see them as a group of self-righteous hypocrites such as yourself, that feel they have the right to determine what everyone else should be doing. Much like the anti hunters feeling they have the right to determine there should be no hunting. Read your own post where you have determined the archery season belongs to NYB members. You have decided for everyone that the crossbow is an inappropriate weapon. You have determine that there is no justification for a muzzleloader season. It is no wonder that most archers in the state of NY want nothing to do with your organization.

First of all, as I have pointed out in other posts, as long as we have special seasons we each will decide what is appropriate in those seasons. Yes, we all have opinions ..... shame on us. I believe that you have an opinion that crossbows should be crammed into bow seasons. I happen to not agree ..... so have me arrested ..... lol. The NYB happens to agree with me on that point ..... I'm glad. And guess what, I have an opinion on muzzleloaders having their own season. Well, I am still waiting for anybody to explain why muzzleloaders as currently described by law has any disadvantage when compared to a shotgun. I'm not even going to mention single shot shotguns. So based on that I have formed an opinion ..... so shoot me. Oh, and by the way I do not run the NYB so my opinions are just that ..... my opinions.

Now as far as what the NYB has done for NYS bowhunters, below are some of actions, and accomplishments over the years. Perhaps if you were a member, your criticisms would be a bit more accurate and have a bit more credibility and you would not have written that first sentence of the quoted post. If you are interested enough to work your way all the way down the list, I think you will be amazed at all the activities and accomplishments that they have fought for and won for bowhunters and others.

Doc

--------------------------------------------------------

First Youth Camp held at Turkey Trot Acres, Candor NY.

Sent members to (US Sportsmen’s Alliance) workshops to prepare the organization for the battles ahead with “anti-hunting” groups.

First Physically Challenged hunt held in Savannah NY.

All nine regions of NY were represented by NYB Regional Reps

Created the NYB Scholarship program.

First Youth hunt held outside of Syracuse NY fall 2002.

Assisted in establishing a 3D archery range for the United States troops serving in Iraq.

Helped form North American Bowhunting Coalition made up of state, national and provincial bowhunting organizations thereby representing tens of thousands of bowhunters.

1,000 young adults have been exposed to archery and bowhunting since our Youth Camp program began.

Developed the program, “Adaptive Equipment for the Aging and Physically Challenged Bowhunter”.

Assisted (National Archery in Schools Program) NASP program being started in NY with money and instructor training.

First “Wounded Veteran” hunt as part of our “Camo to Camo” program.

Recipient of the prestigious Pope & Young Stewardship Award.

Recipient of the NYS Conservation Council President’s Award.

Legislative Accomplishments

Gained bowhunters the use of Deer Management Permits (DMP’s) during last 10 days of the southern zone early bow season.

Allowed usage of Special 2nd deer (either sex) Tag during late bow season.

Added 6 more days of DMP use for bowhunters.

Use of Deer Management Assistance Permits (DMAPS) during bow seasons.

Added one month to Suffolk County archery-only season (from Nov 1 to Oct 1 opener).

Changed definition of legal bow from “…arrow that can propel a legal broadhead 150 yards…” to a 35 lb. minimum draw weight.

In May NYB helped alter DEC Conservation Fund/deer management budget which included;

2nd tag (antler-less) for archers during early & late special seasons in both zones.

Can use unfilled “regular” season buck only tag as an either sex tag during the special South Zone late seasons & Sept. portion of North Zone season.

Can use “regular” season tag as an either sex tag in areas restricted to longbow only hunting, including regular season in Westchester Co. and any season in Suffolk Co.

Residents who purchase lifetime, big game licenses and move out of state can now purchase other big game licenses at resident fee rates.

Lowered fees for junior hunters & trappers.

Allow use of DMP’s for junior archers & no extra fee charged

Junior archers can hunt during all the “regular” firearm seasons with either sex tag

Other accomplishments achieved by Fall of 2002 included;

DMP use for bowhunters expanded to the entire season.

Big game hunters can consign up to two DMP’s to other hunters.

Hunters who have tagged-out may continue to participate in the hunt for the remainder of the big game seasons as long as they do not attempt to shoot at another deer.

Supported passage of DEC Automated License System (DECALS).

Expanded use of DMAPS from 2 to 4 tags per hunter in Regions 8 & 9.

Allow for use of DMP’s during archery seasons by non-resident hunters.

Passage of venison donation fund bill, allowing for volunteer contribution of $1 when purchasing sporting licenses.

Added approximately 2 weeks to the beginning of Westchester Co. archery-only season (from Nov. 1st to match the Southern Zone season).

Expand black bear hunting opportunities in the Catskill and Allegany ranges

Defeat DEC proposal for a “youth” (16 & 17 year old) firearm deer hunt on 2nd last weekend of southern zone, early archery season.

Prevented DEC from placing a muzzleloader season into or before Southern Zone archery-only season.

Other Legislative Accomplishments;

●Established numerous contacts with state legislators, acting as their resource on bow issues. Meeting with them on a regular basis.

●Established a working relationship with the DEC. Meeting with them on a regular basis.

●Kept the crossbow out of the archery-only seasons & areas of the state.

●Promoted the harvest of antler-less deer to assist the DEC in management objectives.

●Established urban deer management archery hunts in various parts of the state - Irondequoit, Painted Post and Albany, NY; while preserving and promoting other programs in Westchester & Suffolk Counties.

●Established legislative E-Mail Alert System.

General Organization Accomplishments

● Continually fighting the anti-hunter movement. Examples; participated in a demonstration on Long Island to counter the “anti-hunters” protesting the opening of bow season. Attended a county legislature meeting where anti hunters had assembled to mislead our elected officials.

● Have opposed the “anti-hunters” attempts to promote use of contraceptives to control deer herds.

● Thousands of dollars donated to promote various hunter education programs.

● Developed “Camo to Camo” program which sends gift boxes to American troops serving in the Mid-east. To date over 500 boxes (3,500 pounds!) have been shipped! Program also sends wounded veterans on free hunts.

● Provides specialized equipment for physically challenged individuals.

● NYB has donated thousands of dollars and our members have volunteered thousands of hours to various charities throughout New York State including (and not limited to) the American Red Cross, Hunt of a Lifetime, American Cancer Society.

● Since its inception NYB has been a contributor to the NYS Venison Donation Coalition program.

● Offers opportunities for members to participate in Adopt-A-Highway Cleanup Programs and other community based projects.

NYB at Work in Iraq

Tupper Lake Archer and NYB Region 5 Representative, Mike Savage, spearheaded an effort to get targets and equipment donated and sent to the troops in Iraq. Mike started the project after reading a letter in the January-February issue of Bowhunter magazine, written by Major Robert Gwinner of the U.S. Army's 8th Infantry, 1st Battalion. In the letter, Maj. Gwinner stated that he was building a small bow range adjacent to his unit's small-arms practice range. He also described archery as "a good break for our soldiers." Mike responded to Maj. Gwinner by e-mail and stated that the Tupper Lake Archers wanted to donate a target and he then inquired about what other archery items the troops needed to complete their archery range. Very soon an e-mail was received with a wish list that included arrows, field tips, practice broadheads, releases, targets and other gear. Through Mike’s efforts, donations of cash and merchandise came pouring in and several packages of archery related gear found their way into Iraq. The result is a range at the forward position of a fire zone; currently home for these heroes.

The point is crossbow people don't have a group, they do nothing but push for their weapon. The only group that does attempt anything is NYB, so if we see a Oct 1st opener you can thank NYB not a non-existent crossbow group. Re-read my post. I never said NYB would take credit for cross bows in archery season. You said NYB isn't doing anything for most archers, they are, like it or not...again what crossbow group is doing any thing for any one but themselves....the answer is none, they don't exsist in NY, and in fact the companies that are going to sell a product are responsible for you wanting them so badly in archery season. So if there is in fact a crossbow orginization that is willing to try and promote archery and not just the crossbow lets hear from them, I am open to any of their ideas.

First of all, as I have pointed out in other posts, as long as we have special seasons we each will decide what is appropriate in those seasons. Yes, we all have opinions ..... shame on us. I believe that you have an opinion that crossbows should be crammed into bow seasons. I happen to not agree ..... so have me arrested ..... lol. The NYB happens to agree with me on that point ..... I'm glad. And guess what, I have an opinion on muzzleloaders having their own season. Well, I am still waiting for anybody to explain why muzzleloaders as currently described by law has any disadvantage when compared to a shotgun. I'm not even going to mention single shot shotguns. So based on that I have formed an opinion ..... so shoot me. Oh, and by the way I do not run the NYB so my opinions are just that ..... my opinions.

Now as far as what the NYB has done for NYS bowhunters, below are some of actions, and accomplishments over the years. Perhaps if you were a member, your criticisms would be a bit more accurate and have a bit more credibility and you would not have written that first sentence of the quoted post. If you are interested enough to work your way all the way down the list, I think you will be amazed at all the activities and accomplishments that they have fought for and won for bowhunters and others.

Doc

--------------------------------------------------------

First Youth Camp held at Turkey Trot Acres, Candor NY.

Sent members to (US Sportsmen’s Alliance) workshops to prepare the organization for the battles ahead with “anti-hunting” groups.

First Physically Challenged hunt held in Savannah NY.

All nine regions of NY were represented by NYB Regional Reps

Created the NYB Scholarship program.

First Youth hunt held outside of Syracuse NY fall 2002.

Assisted in establishing a 3D archery range for the United States troops serving in Iraq.

Helped form North American Bowhunting Coalition made up of state, national and provincial bowhunting organizations thereby representing tens of thousands of bowhunters.

1,000 young adults have been exposed to archery and bowhunting since our Youth Camp program began.

Developed the program, “Adaptive Equipment for the Aging and Physically Challenged Bowhunter”.

Assisted (National Archery in Schools Program) NASP program being started in NY with money and instructor training.

First “Wounded Veteran” hunt as part of our “Camo to Camo” program.

Recipient of the prestigious Pope & Young Stewardship Award.

Recipient of the NYS Conservation Council President’s Award.

Legislative Accomplishments

Gained bowhunters the use of Deer Management Permits (DMP’s) during last 10 days of the southern zone early bow season.

Allowed usage of Special 2nd deer (either sex) Tag during late bow season.

Added 6 more days of DMP use for bowhunters.

Use of Deer Management Assistance Permits (DMAPS) during bow seasons.

Added one month to Suffolk County archery-only season (from Nov 1 to Oct 1 opener).

Changed definition of legal bow from “…arrow that can propel a legal broadhead 150 yards…” to a 35 lb. minimum draw weight.

In May NYB helped alter DEC Conservation Fund/deer management budget which included;

2nd tag (antler-less) for archers during early & late special seasons in both zones.

Can use unfilled “regular” season buck only tag as an either sex tag during the special South Zone late seasons & Sept. portion of North Zone season.

Can use “regular” season tag as an either sex tag in areas restricted to longbow only hunting, including regular season in Westchester Co. and any season in Suffolk Co.

Residents who purchase lifetime, big game licenses and move out of state can now purchase other big game licenses at resident fee rates.

Lowered fees for junior hunters & trappers.

Allow use of DMP’s for junior archers & no extra fee charged

Junior archers can hunt during all the “regular” firearm seasons with either sex tag

Other accomplishments achieved by Fall of 2002 included;

DMP use for bowhunters expanded to the entire season.

Big game hunters can consign up to two DMP’s to other hunters.

Hunters who have tagged-out may continue to participate in the hunt for the remainder of the big game seasons as long as they do not attempt to shoot at another deer.

Supported passage of DEC Automated License System (DECALS).

Expanded use of DMAPS from 2 to 4 tags per hunter in Regions 8 & 9.

Allow for use of DMP’s during archery seasons by non-resident hunters.

Passage of venison donation fund bill, allowing for volunteer contribution of $1 when purchasing sporting licenses.

Added approximately 2 weeks to the beginning of Westchester Co. archery-only season (from Nov. 1st to match the Southern Zone season).

Expand black bear hunting opportunities in the Catskill and Allegany ranges

Defeat DEC proposal for a “youth” (16 & 17 year old) firearm deer hunt on 2nd last weekend of southern zone, early archery season.

Prevented DEC from placing a muzzleloader season into or before Southern Zone archery-only season.

Other Legislative Accomplishments;

●Established numerous contacts with state legislators, acting as their resource on bow issues. Meeting with them on a regular basis.

●Established a working relationship with the DEC. Meeting with them on a regular basis.

●Kept the crossbow out of the archery-only seasons & areas of the state.

●Promoted the harvest of antler-less deer to assist the DEC in management objectives.

●Established urban deer management archery hunts in various parts of the state - Irondequoit, Painted Post and Albany, NY; while preserving and promoting other programs in Westchester & Suffolk Counties.

●Established legislative E-Mail Alert System.

General Organization Accomplishments

● Continually fighting the anti-hunter movement. Examples; participated in a demonstration on Long Island to counter the “anti-hunters” protesting the opening of bow season. Attended a county legislature meeting where anti hunters had assembled to mislead our elected officials.

● Have opposed the “anti-hunters” attempts to promote use of contraceptives to control deer herds.

● Thousands of dollars donated to promote various hunter education programs.

● Developed “Camo to Camo” program which sends gift boxes to American troops serving in the Mid-east. To date over 500 boxes (3,500 pounds!) have been shipped! Program also sends wounded veterans on free hunts.

● Provides specialized equipment for physically challenged individuals.

● NYB has donated thousands of dollars and our members have volunteered thousands of hours to various charities throughout New York State including (and not limited to) the American Red Cross, Hunt of a Lifetime, American Cancer Society.

● Since its inception NYB has been a contributor to the NYS Venison Donation Coalition program.

● Offers opportunities for members to participate in Adopt-A-Highway Cleanup Programs and other community based projects.

NYB at Work in Iraq

Tupper Lake Archer and NYB Region 5 Representative, Mike Savage, spearheaded an effort to get targets and equipment donated and sent to the troops in Iraq. Mike started the project after reading a letter in the January-February issue of Bowhunter magazine, written by Major Robert Gwinner of the U.S. Army's 8th Infantry, 1st Battalion. In the letter, Maj. Gwinner stated that he was building a small bow range adjacent to his unit's small-arms practice range. He also described archery as "a good break for our soldiers." Mike responded to Maj. Gwinner by e-mail and stated that the Tupper Lake Archers wanted to donate a target and he then inquired about what other archery items the troops needed to complete their archery range. Very soon an e-mail was received with a wish list that included arrows, field tips, practice broadheads, releases, targets and other gear. Through Mike’s efforts, donations of cash and merchandise came pouring in and several packages of archery related gear found their way into Iraq. The result is a range at the forward position of a fire zone; currently home for these heroes.

just no interest in those crossbow threads huh Doc??? maybe if you stopped posting in all these crossbow threads so diligently they would just go away and you could rest in peace :) .

Hey I thought that would make you happy. After all it can't be any fun for you to be trolling if nobody bites. Just trying to make your day....lol. But actually since it obviously went over your head, let me explain that this reply was primarily about NYB. You probably didn't notice that. I know it was a bit much to read.

Doc

I think allowing the crossbow is about recruitment and retention in the hunting fraternity - and we NEED BOTH.

I won't slam NYB because they do good things. I use to be a member but not anymore, for a couple reasons: 

[*]Foremost - Sportsmans groups fighting other sportsman is just nuts!

[*]NYB represents less than 2% of Bowhunters in New York - so they are not "the voice" of all bowhunters.

[*]They tend to take credit for many things that were really made possible by New York Bowhunters & Field Archers (NYFAB) back in the late 1940's. Long before NYB came along. 

But it is the constant alienation of other sportsman that bothers me the most with NYB. 

IMO - the Archery Season changed forever when the Hollis Allen Compound designed for "Disabled" archers was allowed in the archery season. And the reality is.. the crossbow has no advantage over today's compounds.

I think allowing the crossbow is about recruitment and retention in the hunting fraternity - and we NEED BOTH.

I won't slam NYB because they do good things. I use to be a member but not anymore, for a couple reasons: 

• Foremost - Sportsmans groups fighting other sportsman is just nuts!

• NYB represents less than 2% of Bowhunters in New York - so they are not "the voice" of all bowhunters.

• They tend to take credit for many things that were really made possible by New York Bowhunters & Field Archers (NYFAB) back in the late 1940's. Long before NYB came along. 

But it is the constant alienation of other sportsman that bothers me the most with NYB. 

IMO - the Archery Season changed forever when the Hollis Allen Compound designed for "Disabled" archers was allowed in the archery season. And the reality is.. the crossbow has no advantage over today's compounds.

1. Sportsmans groups(crossgun/ML) attacking other groups(archery) is nuts.  NYB is doing nothing but defense.

2. NYB is the voice of most bowhunters until you can find me a better representative.

3. Like what? If they didn't make it they have maintained it for future generations.