New rifle

Chef

Hey so I want to buy a new rifle and scope combo this year I don't care if it is new or used I started out with a remmington 770 In 30-06 a few years ago and it was complete crap I can spend 500 max 550 if I have to any suggestions I'd really like some input thanks

I see a lot of ad's for Savage rifle in the sportsman mags. Most bang for your buck so they tell you...

I am still shooting a 303 brt from WWII, 1 bullet in the rifle and 4 in the clip. still takes down deer, woodchuck and or any other game. Cost new, at Ramsey outdoor store in NJ in 1957 was my whole saving from white mowing lawns for the summer of $27.95.

At 71 I will keep it, I guess.  Now were can I find ammo. got 200 rounds of army ammo, but just 20 rounds of hunting ammo.

I see a lot of ad's for Savage rifle in the sportsman mags. Most bang for your buck so they tell you...

I am still shooting a 303 brt from WWII, 1 bullet in the rifle and 4 in the clip. still takes down deer, woodchuck and or any other game. Cost new, at Ramsey outdoor store in NJ in 1957 was my whole saving from white mowing lawns for the summer of $27.95.

At 71 I will keep it, I guess. Now were can I find ammo. got 200 rounds of army ammo, but just 20 rounds of hunting ammo.

That's at least 20 more deer for that gun then, more if you wait to stack em up!

I have always had horrible luck with the so called ready to hunt combos. Scopes and rings are trash and they sell themselfs on the thought that you just buy the rifle and its all set to go.

I would try and find a used rifle and then think about getting some good rings and optics.  I bought a marlin 270. and then put a Nikon pro-staff scope on it 500-600 dollars in all and its my favorite set up I own. And I have  afew to choose from.

• Like 1

770's are junk. I don't know what the hell Remington is thinking. Mag problems and a gritty grabby ass action.

Look at the Ruger American. It's about $400 new. Floated barrel, bedding blocks, 3 lug bolt, real smooth action & is suppose to be real accurate. It comes with scope bases and maybe rings (not sure about the rings) Chambered in most popular deer cals. At $400 you can still put a decent scope on it and still stay right around your budget. Good luck.

Edited by ants

You can't expect to pay bottom dollar and expect to get a luxury car with leather trimmings and wood paneling but you can expect to a vehicle that'll get you from point a to point b.

If you're working on a sub $550 budget on a brand new high caliber rifle you can still get something that'll get you 1 MOA but also expect a plastic-y feel and things feeling loose here and there.  It is what it is.

That said, I have 2 Savage rifles and both are superb for their value.  The Axis feels like a cheap plastic toy to me.  It may very well be a great gun performance wise.

Ruger just release the new American Rifle.  Don't know much about it.  Remington is countering with a new 783 model.  Hopefully its a big improvement.

The TC Venture may be had around the $500 price point.

You can also go down to the H&R Handi-Rifle in 30-06 if budget is really tight.  Nothing fancy but you'll at least get actual wood and a solid rifle and still have money left over.

Well I'll tell you this much. For 550 for rifle and scope you will be hard pressed to find much. Many rifles now a days come with a sub moa guarantee. So accuracy amongst most mid to high end rifles will be plenty more accurate than you'll need for a hunting situation. In my opinion you can't go wrong with these in this order... Weatherby vanguard II, TC venture, tikka, howa 500. Weatherby vanguard II is around 550 for the rifle. Amazing accuracy and quality. I own a TC venture in .308 and its a tack driver as well. Just doesn't have the luxury quality features like higher end rifles have. But I don't care for the money I spent and its use which is hunting its perfect.

You can't expect to pay bottom dollar and expect to get a luxury car with leather trimmings and wood paneling but you can expect to a vehicle that'll get you from point a to point b.

If you're working on a sub $550 budget on a brand new high caliber rifle you can still get something that'll get you 1 MOA but also expect a plastic-y feel and things feeling loose here and there. It is what it is.

That said, I have 2 Savage rifles and both are superb for their value. The Axis feels like a cheap plastic toy to me. It may very well be a great gun performance wise.

Ruger just release the new American Rifle. Don't know much about it. Remington is countering with a new 783 model. Hopefully its a big improvement.

The TC Venture may be had around the $500 price point.

You can also go down to the H&R Handi-Rifle in 30-06 if budget is really tight. Nothing fancy but you'll at least get actual wood and a solid rifle and still have money left over.

Well said, what I was trying to get at. For rifles now a days are made veryyyy accurate at the low price ranges they are sold at. But lack the nice quality furnishings and smooth actions.