Putting up a stand

Woodjr55

Ladder stands have their benefits, as well as drawbacks. They are only semi-mobile, when compared to hang-ons or climbers. There definitely is an acclimation period required for the deer to get use to them being there. If you think you can move a ladder stand in or around during bow season w/o disrupting the deer's behavior or travel routes, think again! If you're using one for gun season, you have a little more leeway.

I try to get mine all situated & shooting lanes cut by mid-July for the Oct 1st SZ bow season opening. You need to do your homework, scouting, current trail cam photos &/or use historical patterns before selecting the location. Their reaction to a new intrusion (stand) varies from deer to deer, bucks to does as well as location (habitat) variations.

• Like 1

At the very least, get it outside now to air out a bit before putting it out in the woods. I would have that stand up "at least" a couple weeks before season. Don't want to be distrurbing the area much too close to season, putting the stand up, trimming, and stinking the place up.

I have 10 stands up, checked, trimmed, and ready to go for season already.

hide it in a clump of trees, like where multiple trees are growing close together it will help conceal the ladder. Theirs a reason why alot of big bucks get killed from climbers and hang-ons with climbing sticks i believe they can clearly tell a ladder stand or homemade wooden one isn't supposed to be in the woods and will avoid those areas. but ladder stands are convenient.

The earlier, the better. Remember, a deers core area is like your living room. You would notice if someone put a new chair in your living room, right? Same goes for the deer. They notice any slight change to their environment and need time to get used to it.

just remember that if your living room is a couple acres you might not notice as quick... lol

I put my stand up today and it looks to be in a prime location on my property for archery. Lots of tracks near it. I put it at a cross roads of 5 old logging trails at the bottom of my hill. Walking the property today looked for sign I didn't see any clear cut deer trails but I did see a lot of tracks all over and kicked up a doe. Bonus was seeing three turkey. Didn't see one all spring and the neighbor who lives across the street and is here year round hasn't seen any yet.

I normally hang mine a month before season, Its alot easier if you know the patterns they use after the first frost, Funnels are great places if you can find one between bedding and the food source the are choosing to eat,  But remember when it comes to the rut, key in on the does and sit back your about to have a good time in the woods, I have stands that are hung on the routes the deer choose to travel to food and others i wont sit in until the second week of november, The stands set in cruising corridors are harder to find but when you do find them they are almost always on the downwind side of the bedding areas, so depending where the bedding areas are and the prevailing wind directions you might be able to hang a few different stands for the wind conditions, Night stands are different from morning stands, morning stands can be a little closer to bedding areas, night stands i prefer to be a little farther away from them, try and find different routes to your stands as well, Good luck,