3 acres in today. Hoping for rain Monday and Tuesday

First time using the Green Cover Seed's Fall Release. Drilled into previously sprayed plots with a significant amount of clover doing pretty well. Excited to see how this does. Looking to get away from the need for fertilize, herbicides, etc. Planning to use their Spring Release in 2023.

DJI_0036.JPG

DJI_0032.JPG

• Like 4

Checking back in. Got rain Saturday night after planting then got some good rain Sunday to today. I'll post pics over the course of the next few weeks to share progress. 

As an aside, I'd planted about 2 acres of WI Tall Tine Tuber in last Thursday. That was sprouting Monday night. 

On 8/24/2022 at 9:52 AM, Belo said:

that's like professional ag field stuff there man. Stop making us small timers feel inadequate! 

Hardly a professional. Just lucky enough to be a caretake of a property with an owner that lets me play around with things.  A lot of reading and research over the last four years. I'm also lucky enough to have the equipment to put in larger plots like these.

Now I just need some rain to keep things going. These are are some photos of that middle plot as of tonightIMG_6759.thumb.JPG.e60b1551b552c116b0a4f643ee41eb9f.JPGIMG_6761.thumb.JPG.55813d54002571534f2daa008df60360.JPGIMG_6762.thumb.JPG.d8d6ca30ca7a4a35ccca3c16d34aaaaa.JPG

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Marsala-man said:

Hardly a professional. Just lucky enough to be a caretake of a property with an owner that lets me play around with things.  A lot of reading and research over the last four years. I'm also lucky enough to have the equipment to put in larger plots like these.

Now I just need some rain to keep things going. These are are some photos of that middle plot as of tonightIMG_6759.thumb.JPG.e60b1551b552c116b0a4f643ee41eb9f.JPGIMG_6761.thumb.JPG.55813d54002571534f2daa008df60360.JPGIMG_6762.thumb.JPG.d8d6ca30ca7a4a35ccca3c16d34aaaaa.JPG

I think you posted your plots last year and they looked great. If you don't mind reminding us which county that would be cool. Dutchess? 

I don't mind at all. I'm in the Town of Deposit in Delaware County. 

The place I manage is sandwiched between a few hunt clubs and some smaller properties. I've got a few of the other properties to start adding food to our area. 

This becoming an obsession for me. Constantly looking to learn new things and try other improvements. Added 10 chestnut and 10 persimmon last year. This year I added 10 wild pear and I'm waiting on another 10 persimmon. Also signed up to get American Chestnut nuts for the upcoming spring via SUNY ESF and NY-TACF. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Can't like your post enough, great stuff.  

Is your soil pretty rocky?

It's rocky for sure. That's part of the reason I pivoted to no-till planting. I'd disked up the fields in my first year and it was rocky mess. Since then I've been trying to no-till. Hoping these newer plots take hold so I can drill into them next spring and continue that in the summer and fall. Should help build up the organic matter and slowly add back to the soil layer. 

• Like 2

1.5" of rain up here yesterday. Checked my brassica plot and it's really not done much. Been in the ground since 8/18. I've got a few hundred pounds of 46-0-0 and I'm thinking of putting 50# on this 1/2 acre plot. Anyone have an opinion on this? The soil test did call for 26# for the size of the plot and I'm just learning that now.

I don't think adding it now is detrimental with the 1-2" sprouts that I have?

fertilize prior to rain but when the plants are dry no dew etc...if the fertilizer sticks to plants due to dampness will burn them, and if N doesnt get into the soil , from a rain, it will burn its self off . brassicas should and if your going to get fertilizer about week 4 of growth ...

Edited by land 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Marsala-man said:

Just mowed the clover and chicory plots one last time as well. I'll hit them with a little foliar fertilizer and maybe some clethodim to finish off the maintenance season. Need to check in on the brassica plot and hidey hole as well. Pics to follow.

Nice plots, mind if I ask what drone model you are using for the pictures?

• 4 weeks later...