G5 Montec or Rage

YFKI1983

Hope everyones doing well.  Im looking to switch broadheads...  anybody use Rage or G5 montec...

I currently use grim reapers but I am not crazy about them. I would like to try the montecs fixed  because I know they are better if you hit bone but I used muzzys in the past and they didnt fly like my field points did. If anyone uses them let me know how they fly in comparison to field points.  Ive only heard good things about rage (I think they have a new xtreme with 2.3 inch cut) so I have no problem going with them but It would be nice to be able to sharpen broadheads instead of replacing them.

Use the Rage 2 blades with the Cut on contact have used them for a few years now & I am not switching anytime soon every deer I have shot with them have not gone far furthest was under 75 Yards & the buck in my avatar was last year he may have gone 20 yards when they say the rage leaves a bloodtrail a blind man can follow you better believe it also have yet to fail to have complete pass through. I have my hunting buddies hooked on them now in 3 years we have taken over 10 deer with the Rage No issues

& changing out the blades aren't bad but I have shot 3 deer with the same broad head not nicks & still extremely sharp

My buddy uses the g5's - he loves them and any deer he shot, has dropped within 80 yards. However, they thankfully dropped that quickly because the bloodtrail was minimal. One deer he saw drop I had a hard one finding when I arrived due to the slight trail left. I just went from grim reappers to thunderheads (5 for $39) and have found them to fly very similar to my field points and I am hopeful they will rip some holes

This was the result of the rage 2 blade last year. Hit her quartering to me. Broke through collar bone then proceeded all the way though her to the other side. She broke off an inch and a half of my arrow. Went about 55 yards. Fell down and pushed herself along 4 different times.

post-2567-0-42646200-1377794706.jpg

Edited by Renegade Hunter

I presently shoot Slick Tricks which are very similar to Montecs.  I did give the Rage 2-blade a try for one season and sold them immediately afterwards.  They were the most unreliable broadhead I've ever owned.  They were always deploying by accident and I could not count on them.  So I went back to the reliability and deeper penetration of a fixed blade.  Your G5 Montec is very similar to my Slick Trick mags but the G5's are about $10 more per pack.  They should work very well for you.

I have had real good success with the Rage 2 blades. The blood trails are ridicules but you really don't need them, on properly hit deer, because they will fall well with in eye sight. The buck I took last year, with a Rage, went maybe 30 yards.  Good luck.

Ever wonder why rage gives you a practice tip If they fly like field points anyway. Just a marketing thing?

I guess so because I can say the only difference I see when using their practice tip & a field point is the Rage practice tip destroys my 3D targets but they still hit where I want