Just got my school tax bill.

sits in trees

Bought my house at 23, paid the morgage off in 5 years......

I been paying taxes and I don't even have a kid!

I get to pay for all the snot nosed, ill mannered, broken condom mistakes.

I used to think it was a good thing as eduction is mark of a civil society.

But then I meet all the pathetic excuses and I'm disgusted at what is now "learning".

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 3

Bought my house at 23, paid the morgage off in 5 years......

I been paying taxes and I don't even have a kid!

I get to pay for all the snot nosed, ill mannered, broken condom mistakes.

I used to think it was a good thing as eduction is mark of a civil society.

But then I meet all the pathetic excuses and I'm disgusted at what is now "learning".

Yup. That's why I bought my place in weaker school district. 1/2 mile away my taxes would be double. I knew I would upgrade to a better school district after I get married, before having kids.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Yup. That's why I bought my place in weaker school district. 1/2 mile away my taxes would be double. I knew I would upgrade to a better school district after I get married, before having kids.

My town is divided by 3 districts.....

I also bought where the cheapest was historically based on that, I can see up the road to one of the others. It has stayed that way.

I would be almost 50% more for the same valuation there.

If that baboon in the Whitehouse doesn't manage to derail the economy by getting us into another war and property values come back some in the next two years....I'm done here. Cash out and go play somewhere else; anything has to be better than this rotting corpse of a state.

I hear ya. Luckily for me, I bought in 2011 and things have gone up around 50% in value since. But it doesn't really matter, because even though I bought low and will sell much higher, everything has skyrocketed in value as well so I aol have to pay for the upgrade.

I hear ya. Luckily for me, I bought in 2011 and things have gone up around 50% in value since. But it doesn't really matter, because even though I bought low and will sell much higher, everything has skyrocketed in value as well so I aol have to pay for the upgrade.

While this is true, you still gained by not having your cash depreciate in the banks. So you're still ahead of the game, so to speak.

Not sure what you mean?

Let's say your place was $300k in 2011, now its $450k. You have $450k to put into an upgrade next year.

Had you not purchased in 2011, you'll have $300k in the bank, and with interest, probably $305k(guessing, no math done whatsoever). You would be out $145k.

So since you bought in 2011, you're ahead of the game by $145k.

Let's say your place was $300k in 2011, now its $450k. You have $450k to put into an upgrade next year.

Had you not purchased in 2011, you'll have $300k in the bank, and with interest, probably $305k(guessing, no math done whatsoever). You would be out $145k.

So since you bought in 2011, you're ahead of the game by $145k.

Not so sure if those increases in housing values are all that accurate. I have been watching realty trends fairly closely in NY state including NYC and Long Island. The bank/stock market has been giving far better returns than NY real estate has in the last 2 years.

Oh I apologize, my math was off. I recalculated and in 6 years my school taxes increased closer to 28-29% not 25% in 6 years to the day. Its just that Im afraid to look anymore. But something must be off with this years increase because it well exceeds the 2% cap that Uncle Andy promised use, Imagine that being lied to by a politician, LOL!

Here's the thing guys that should make you throw up...high taxes...lower number of students...and Mr B makes a living remodeling /building schools for the last 12 yrs...why because they received so much money...Capital improvement funds from the government and have to get rid of it...if not it has to go back...this I know from a local school....  set some of their funds for future use ..trying to keep taxes down and they got in major hot water for it...

All I can say is..when I went to school we didn't need to have a big fancy entrance hall..fancy facades....floor to ceiling windows ...and the cafeteria food was just as crappy in a plain ole dinning hall as I'm sure it is in these new ones that look like fine cafe's

I pay a lot- have dirt roads on three sides of block, have no road frontage.....but i have a wife who WAS a teacher in the local school....our school is ranked low; then again that is on standardized tests another state entity....but most the teachers here are antiquated and duds (as I know them personally)....there are a good number of teachers over 80k for a 160day work year and have your tax payers guarantee their retirement (403b)...bummer huh? My wife teaches at a private school- a prestigious one for the area- 16k a kid per yr...and she makes just over twice that tuition.

Then again there are prison guards, WWTP, municipal, government  and townie "workers" that retire with pensions in the range of 60-80k after 20-25 yrs. 

I am so not a lib, and totally back unions but this state is riddled with corruption from the top and through each tier...just one level promising the next too much for their efforts....and we the taxpayers pick up the bill.

Whats the cure? Not sure yet- but burn out is happening....your kid may lose sports or music but the superintendent makes 200k a year....

This state and this country which was founded on hard work is fueled by people who take all they can for giving as little as necessary to do that

• Like 1

Local Government and School Accountability Real Property Tax Cap Information

Chapter 97 of the Laws of 2011 (Part A-Property Tax Cap) established a tax levy limit (hereafter referred to as the "property tax cap") that affects all local governments, most school districts in New York State, except New York City, and a host of other independent taxing entities such as library, fire and water districts.

Under this law, the growth in the property tax levy, the total amount to be raised through property taxes charged on the municipality's taxable assessed value of property, is capped at 2 percent or the rate of inflation, whichever is less, with some exceptions. Local communities have the ability to override the cap.

Here's the thing guys that should make you throw up...high taxes...lower number of students...and Mr B makes a living remodeling /building schools for the last 12 yrs...why because they received so much money...Capital improvement funds from the government and have to get rid of it...if not it has to go back...this I know from a local school....  set some of their funds for future use ..trying to keep taxes down and they got in major hot water for it...

All I can say is..when I went to school we didn't need to have a big fancy entrance hall..fancy facades....floor to ceiling windows ...and the cafeteria food was just as crappy in a plain ole dinning hall as I'm sure it is in these new ones that look like fine cafe's

You know the guidance dept and administration offices in our district are every bit as well adorned as any law firms in NY city. I'm talking wood furnishings, including wood filing cabinets, the latest in electronics, beautiful moldings trim and chair rails and desks and seating that rivals a corporate fat cat ceo's office? Long gone are the days of metal desks and file cabinets. Oh and you gotta see the teachers lounge, 60 in flat screen, blue ray, whats next 3D?

someone has to pay the teachers guaranteed school pensions and cost of living increases... 

sorry had too lol

lets face it, there are 2 things guaranteed in life

Death and the IRS

Death yea, the amount the public is held hostage for taxes, well thats something that can be changed, not impossible and the total collapse of a system should not have to be what brings that about. Its starting to happen in America, read the headlines.

those 2 things are guaranteed... the IRS will get their taxes and we will all eventually die. its a given, unfortunately

the public is held hostage yes. stop paying taxes and the IRS will handle ya. even with a collapse of a system and yet they will still get their money. you watch  

Yeah, Uncle(IRS) will always get his taxes, but these school (and property taxes) are local, not federal taxes.

We have school superintendents that make over $300,000 per year plus perks. When increases of school taxes fail to get approval, these administrators threaten with cutting sports, etc. and that sends parents into a panic. When the school loses they hold another vote(after the threats), then they almost always get approved on the second vote. So citizens approve these higher taxes (a sore spot for me). You can't win !! When they win, we can't appeal !

When my local taxes broke the 5 figure mark, I thought of leaving, but decided that I really like it on LI so I stayed. So I can't bitch too much. I did appeal my taxes and got them cut a bit.

I would like to know, why, on the Federal/State taxes, do more kids mean less taxes. They use more services, and pay less..I could never figure that one out. I know more kids cost parents more, but they don't have to have more kids, it's a choice.