will hunting duck/geese this weekend scare deer on my propety?

tk3445

A couple buddies and myself were considering hunting duck and geese in the pond on my property this weekend but i got to thinking it would possibly scare the deer and since i havn't put a deer in my freezer yet... it concerns me.

let me know what ya think,

Tom

I wouldn't take the chance either. Having said that adjacent to one side of my lease is a Huge swamp bordering 3 other properties, and I heard a few duck hunters since the opener. But it could be a proximity thing to - I'm up 3 deer durring all that.

The deer won't run away from your area if you do hunt the waterfowl.  I don't think one day for a few hours will inturrupt anything.  You might not see the deer that weekend but if you have a food source on your property or something that the deer like they are going to stick around. 

Look at it this way you might have the time of your life with a couple of buddies that day and it will be an experience you will never forget.  You could pass it up and sit in the woods alone looking at leaves fall.  Most important have fun and do what you want.

I don't think that the deer will evacuate the area .... lol. However, they may take on that defensive invisible mode as happens when gun season rolls around. I say might, because I don't really know. It probably all depends on how intensive and frequent the waterfowl hunting takes place. I do know from past experience, that before the opening day of gun deer season is anywhere near completed, the deer take on a completely different attitude and do indeed take on a highly secretive nocturnal pattern of feeding and movement and even rut, that is not broken unless the deer are kicked in the butt by hunters.

Doc

As I sat in my treestand this morning, I listened to 100+ shots from duck and goose hunters across the road in the cut cornfield, just pounding the snot out of them! A neighbor that I know that bowhunts over on that side of the road. I just kept thinking, "I'd hate to be that poor SOB!" Sucks for him, but probably good for me on my side of the road!

A good friend of mine hunts in my pond and a swamp. The deer are still on my land.  Deer come and go all the time they don't only stay on your property. I live in 3M my friend hunted on my land opening day of bow no problems seeing plenty of deer that evening. Let your friends hunt in the morning but not in the afternoon. This way thier not blasting all day long. I say let your friends enjoy themselfs.

If shootign a gun mad edeer run away, you would never see a deer after the first season you hunted and shot. Now I know that waterfowl hunting usually is a lot more shooting than deer.  Thso morning I was sitting in a stand and on the edge of neighbors property, they were blasting the snot out of thr waterfowl.  At 8 Am  a doe walked out of their pine grove, ate in the meadow I was watching,and went  back in toward the shooting.  They get used to it the same as they get used to cars or chainsaws or any other noise.  BTW if it had been yesterday morning when ml season was still going on, the doe would be inn my garage tonight.  It is as if they know.