New Ohio Regulations.

Nothing new, been announced for a while. Seems like a mix of happy hunters and angry ones here. Historically ohio mgmt is solid.

I haven't seen this before. A buddy with property in south central Ohio sent it to entice me down. He has been after me for two years. I just can't seem to coordinate it.

If your bow isn't knocked and arrows are in quiver and on the ground ...you don't have to be out of the woods or stand at sunset,,,many a night I have sat and waited for deer to leave the area before climbing down...same with gun season...I hunt until my cell phone alarm buzzes For I set it for legal sun rise and legal sunset before I leave the house....that way It's documented that I knew what time it was...if it were illegal to be in the woods...regulations wouldn't state you can use a small light to walk to your hunting spot....

I haven't seen this before. A buddy with property in south central Ohio sent it to entice me down. He has been after me for two years. I just can't seem to coordinate it.

You really ought to get your rear end down there. I'm pretty sure Phade has had a good time hunting Ohio and I know I sure did when I went for the 1st time last year. What county is your buddy in?

That's about as rural as rural gets in Ohio. Very solid hunting there though...hilly for the most part.

Some people report lots of thefts as that county has a known pill popping/meth problem. Usually that's just a problem for out of state leasers there.

No reason not to go down there to hunt.

Edited by phade

They sure should do it here in NYS.  Archery, ML and gun season.

For gun season, make the damned hunter orange mandatory and THEN give us the extra 30 minutes on the front and back of the day.

I guess for now I'm just damned thankful for getting rifle use in Ontario County...........................

• Like 1

Hunted ohio a bunch- left the stand before legal shooting ended because it was too dark to see and provided enough darkness to get out.

You can hunt geese 30 min past- its a joke you cannot with archery tackle

Ironically the pro gun posts and luster for ohio deer in the same thread...NYs gun hunting nature is why we can never be ohio (too long, too aggressive, too many) and until the spoiled gun hunters are willing to give up to gain things will never change here

That should be the law here in NY.  For the same reason; there's plenty of safe, shoot-able light left when the book says it's "sunset".  Likewise, there's plenty of safe, shoot-able light before "sunrise".  I've always said the law should read "it is illegal to shoot (bow or gun) with the aid of artificial light".  That way you can take advantage of ambient light that's still available once "sunset" occurs. 

Why not make it 30 minutes after dark... that would be very advantageous for the hunter.. not so good for the deer, but who cares about them anyway... I pay a lot of money for my license and should be able to make my own decision about when to leave the woods.. having a rule making me leave at sunset is just another example of how we are over regulated.

Why not make it 30 minutes after dark... that would be very advantageous for the hunter.. not so good for the deer, but who cares about them anyway... I pay a lot of money for my license and should be able to make my own decision about when to leave the woods.. having a rule making me leave at sunset is just another example of how we are over regulated.

Agreed. Too much variation in it, especially from a bowhunting perspective.

Hunting a field edge would net me more shootable light than say if I were in deep timber Oct. 1. I can't tell you how many times I've crept out of a spot in timber and made my way to a friend's stand where he still had plenty of shooting light. Let the situation dictate the shooting light or at least allow what Ohio does.

Theres no law stating when you have to leave the woods, only when you can shoot a deer.

Fact is, the 30 mins before sunrise/30 mins after sunset rule is in place in many states, and isnt an issue. People just need to use common sense and basic safety to determine if its safe to shoot or not, regardless of what time the law is set to.

Really? None of you got that I was being facetious?? Why not do what is most advantageous to the hunter and let him hunt after dark? Remember its all about hunter... screw the animal.

Call it what it is... hunters want to advantage of that moment when you can barely see... in hopes of catching one of those big nocturnal bucks finally making his way out into the open...

To wit: according to my regs book, sunset occurred ten minutes ago here and there's plenty of safe shootable light, even with open sights.

Usually very true when hunting out in the open.. back deeper in the woods not so much.. hence the reason not to change shooting time...

• Like 1

Usually very true when hunting out in the open.. back deeper in the woods not so much.. hence the reason not to change shooting time...

Like I said in my first post in this topic; I think the law should read "It's illegal to shoot game with the aid of artificial light".  If I can take a safe and ethical shot from my stand on the edge of my hay field ten minutes later than the guy who's half a mile deep in the woods, who the f*&k cares?  It's not my fault he chose to hunt deep in the woods while I chose to sit in my stand.