Do you really need a large cut diameter?

TeeBugg

As i sit here and assemble these sonic pro 100's...im thinking they are a bit on the small side. 1" cut. My talons are 1 1/4 cut and i know they do nasty damage. But is that 1/4" really that big of a deal? Not trying to start an argument just wondered what yall thoughts were on it. Heck ive shot big expandable with a 2" or bigger cut before. Never hit a deer with them but i would think they would do some serious hurt on a deer...or any animal for that matter. I know its all about shot placement...what say you?

Sent from Outer Space

The short answer is "no." A well placed field point would probably kill a deer. I think the difference between a two inch slice between both lungs and a one inch slice through both lungs is probably negligible. I suppose a bigger cut is prob better (or at the very least, doesn't hurt). But any quality, sharp broad head in the right spot will do. Conversely, the biggest, sharpest broad head (regardless of brand) in the wrong spot is going to give you a difficult recovery.

• Like 1

I am convinced there is a difference between deer too. I have had situations where I have made less than ideal shots and the deer drop in sight, and other times I have made what I consider textbook shots and the deer go 100 yards. Same broad heads, arrows and bow. The ones that dropped in sight weren't always the smaller deer. I have had similar experiences with guns too. Hit two deer in essentially the same spot, one drops in its tracks, next one runs 100 yards before it drops.

if they're 4 blades, each blade is 1" across so that gives you 2" of cutting surface.......same as a 2 blade, 2" expandable.........right? so I say no problem.

Each blade is 1/2" meaning 1" across but if 4 blade you also have 1" crossing the other way.  Total cutting surface is the same, but an X vs line. 

I shoot a 4 blade Slick Trick magnum which has a 1-1/8" blade.  You can look at it and think, "dang that sure seems small", but look at the hole it makes in a deer. It is bigger than that of a shotgun slug hole.

Edited by RangerClay

Guest whauburger

Hey all, New to this forum....I can chime in a bit from experience a few weeks ago. I decided to give the grim reaper 2" a try this year. I am shooting a Hoyt Charger set just under 60lbs, had a quartering to shot at 17 yards in early Jersey. I hit just at the back of the front shoulder, deer jumped up and fell right there unable to even get up (no spine contact). I sent another arrow down to try and kill quicker, I hate watching the deer gasping and thumping its head on the ground. When I got down to inspect I was surprised at the somewhat lack of penetration. Talked to a bunch of people and they recommend going down to the 1 3/8". Much better penetration can be expected I was told. I figured bigger hole more damage and more blood to see so bigger was better, I have some of the 1 3/8" on now and am waiting to get a shot at 1 of 2 bucks I've been watching and see the results.   

Been shooting rocket steelheads, the original rockets and slick tricks will out penetrate almost all other heads and do crazy damage. They both have smaller cutting diameters then most broadheads on the market today. It doesn't matter what head you shoot if you don't make a good shot ,your not going to get the good blood trail, short tracking distances etc. The most important thing is to shoot a head that your most comfortable with and patterns well for you.

Using the same bow hitting the deer in the same place a 2" broadhead has more surface area and will hit more things as bone compared to a 1" broadhead which will go deeper or threw and cause more bleeding.What ever you use just keep it razor sharp and good shot placement.

I am having a broadhead dilemma this year.. in the past I shot muzzys with fairly good success..then a few years ago ( due to a poorly tuned bow and lack of time) I switched to grim reapers. Killed a few feet with these including a fairly large bodied 10 point.. I was not liking the penetration myself and a few of my buddies were getting..rarely a pass through.. You could walk/ jog down the blood trail though on a properlyy hit deer..

I also reasoned that a poorly hit(guts) deer would sustain more damage and be easier to find.

On the other hand a poorly hit deer (bone) would sustain less damage and be harder to find..

Now this year,having a tuned bow, I switched to st viper tricks.

1st shot was litteraly staight down 30'.. 5' away. I screwed up probably shouldnt have taken a shot,due to the terrible shooting position. ..Hit it back in the guts. Arrow covered in $$+& and slime.I and 2 others spent over 3 hours combing the woods. Not one single drop of blood(I usually like to pride myself on my tracking abilities too)

Next shot perfect double lung shot..she ran maybe 100 yds

She was the hardest tracking ,well shot deer I've seen..lol took me 30 minutes to find her..

So needless to say I am not sold on either one.

The only thing I can say is a standard broadhead always opens. But I think size does matter..

Killed a few feet with these including a fairly large bodied 10 point.. I was not liking the penetration myself and a few of my buddies were getting..rarely a pass through.. 

You couldn't penetrate a foot? I wouldn't like that kind of penetration either!