How far is too far for you to take a shot?

HHC1

20-25 yards normally.  I will shoot 30 if circumstances are perfect and the deer is wide open in a feild or big clearing.  I practice a lot at thirty with good groupings but every now and then Ill slip in a bad one.  I really don't want to shoot 30 or consistently in the field until I now that I can put a kill shot on a deer every time.  Also I like the idea of practicing at 40 and 50 just for the fact that it will make you a better shooter.  Thats def. something I'm going to try next year when sighting in my bow.

I practice to 50 and am comfortable in open situations at 35 yards.

I recently spoke to someone who said that they have no problem taking a deer at 70 yards. Shooting at 63 lbs.

All I could say was, "Wow, you're a much better shot than I am". I'm not sure what the dropoff in kinetic energy does to a 350 grain arrow at 70 yards, but I'm reasonably certain that it's not in our favor.

Anybody care to venture an opinion?

I don't care who you are at 40-60 yards you can't see those little twigs out there.  Even if you have your lanes cleared there is a huge chance of not hitting you mark, just the wind out there can screw it all up.  That is why I keep my shots close plus not having sights on my bow is a bit trickier.

I recently spoke to someone who said that they have no problem taking a deer at 70 yards. Shooting at 63 lbs.

All I could say was, "Wow, you're a much better shot than I am". I'm not sure what the dropoff in kinetic energy does to a 350 grain arrow at 70 yards, but I'm reasonably certain that it's not in our favor.

Anybody care to venture an opinion?

My opinion is that he is full of it.  Those are the kind of guys who can't even hit a deer at 15 yards never mind 70.