Dirt Bags

Honest hunter

these dirt bags just know that there is very little chance of getting caught and if they do ....whats the worse that can happen? Will the local authorities even want to take the time to prosecute?  Not in my area. Even if they do , whats the penalty? small fine if that? Its sad, but thats where we are with this crap.

I think that a good choice is to use climbers. Stash them in the brush somewhere on the way to your tree and pick them up on the way in. Hide them again on your way out. Its a  little extra work but you have a lot better chance of keeping your stuff. 

I have ladders that I keep up, but Im never really sure if they will be there when I want to hunt them. I really hate these little scum bags...

lol left the ladder that was tied to the tree for another day, as it was when I was hiking in to get this one, I ran into a guy tracking a doe, I explained that he was in an area that was off limits to people................then helped him look for his deer for an hour or so until I had to hit the road

I use a dremel tool and burr and scribe my last name and phone number on my stands. Ladder stands on the top section and the other eye height on the vertical tubes. At least it puts a name and that it actually belongs to someone and not the scumbag.

lol left the ladder that was tied to the tree for another day, as it was when I was hiking in to get this one, I ran into a guy tracking a doe, I explained that he was in an area that was off limits to people................then helped him look for his deer for an hour or so until I had to hit the road

As long as you left me something!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I had this happen to me last year... If I hunted in the morning with my climber i'd leave it under brush and sprinkle some leaves on it. at night if I knew I was coming back in the AM i'd leave it on the tree. so towards the last day of muzzleloading I left for my lunch break and stashed it under some pine branches and sprinkled the leaves on it. well on my one mile trek out of the woods I took a digger and wrenched my back something fierce. I couldn't get back up to retrieve my stand for over a month. when I did it was gone. i just got a summit and it comes out with me.. 1 mile in with a nasty hill i have to climb up. i'd padlock it but that makes me too nervous.

Shawn and weasel your sure do seem to have fun with this thread..............hope you guys shot a monster. I wouldn't lie, remember I'm Honest Hunter. Lol

I never doubted your integrity, and apologize if we are having a little fun in your thread. I hope the scumbags gets their nuts sliced off falling off one of those stolen stands!

• Like 1

easy now, its part of my job to remove stands from certain properties, shawn knows what I mean, I don't steal things that aren't meant to be there, and I haven't been out and over the last few years been loosing interest in hunting in general, so you have the deer woods mostly free of me :)

Unfortunately, this kind of stuff is rampant, especially on LI. Not alot of public access, Everyone thinks that when they discover a place to hunt, that it's "thier spot", and don't consider the possibility that others may be hunting there as well. Then they do things to discourage the other hunters.

Case in point:

Last Saturday I get up at 3am, drive to the spot I bowhunt. I have hunted this land since I was 14 years old, so thats 31 years. Always kinda had the place to myself, but over the last 5 years or so, have encountered alot more people, so I make sure I get there early.

Anyway, I get to my spot in the overgrown field, and wait for light. I am all settled in, when suddenly a pickup truck and a jeep come ripping through the field, busting every living thing out of the area. Thier headlights were bouncing all over, and they passed within 15 feet of me, tore up the hill, and parked there, got out, and started discussing thier hunting plans, readying gear, etc..this is all  a 1/2 hour before  shooting light.

I shake my head and groan, realizing that someone else has discovered the spot. the unbelievable part is that they parked thier vehicles in the middle of the hunting area....

I decide to stick it out since I have had good luck in my spot in the past. I see absolutely zilch except for tweety birds, so when I prepare to leave, I do a little scouting on the way out. That's when I discover that they have cut many branches and shrubs to clear an easy path to thier "parking spot". I just could not believe that anyone who locates a hunting spot on LI could be so naeive to think that they are the only ones that hunt/know about it. I then find another spot where they have been driving into the field, at the end of which is a flattened out area [repeatedly driven over] , a brand new ladder stand, and......wait for it..........wait for it...........

SEVERAL BUSHELS OF SHUCKED CORN UNDERNEATH!!!

Imagine the audacity of creating driving trails, driving through areas hunted by other people, and BAITING in an obvious spot, about 20 yards from a known access road on county land. I can almost forgive them the driving through the field thing, being that they probably think they are the only guys to find this spot, and just ignorant to the fact that others hunt there as well, but BAITING??? ON COUNTY LAND? Thats just plain stupid.

The moral of the story is, as space gets tighter and tighter, and hunters get more and more demonized, guys are taking any and all shotcuts to get to the bottom line. If that includes stealing gear, ruining spots, baiting, etc, there are many, many slob hunters out there willing to step up to the challenge....

easy now, its part of my job to remove stands from certain properties, shawn knows what I mean, I don't steal things that aren't meant to be there, and I haven't been out and over the last few years been loosing interest in hunting in general, so you have the deer woods mostly free of me :)

lot of people have to do this, and that was my original question to the OP. I've also seen people get confused with the property boundaries of their new leased land and do the same. We've always left notes and the stands have always been moved, but i would not find fault in anyone removing them on their own. It cost us a good chunk of change to do a survey after 30 years, but it's a good investment if your boundaries aren't obvious.

that's the chance you take when you set up on public land........I would never leave stuff there, especially since it's public and if I'm not actively hunting it why would I deprive another the chance to hunt it by leaving my stuff there to show them that the spot is "taken"?

lot of people have to do this, and that was my original question to the OP. I've also seen people get confused with the property boundaries of their new leased land and do the same. We've always left notes and the stands have always been moved, but i would not find fault in anyone removing them on their own. It cost us a good chunk of change to do a survey after 30 years, but it's a good investment if your boundaries aren't obvious.

FYI,

many counties now have interactive tax maps. The one from monroe county and I know Herkimer county is the same, has the ability to view in a map. when you zoom in and hold the cursor over the property corner it give you a coordinate for it. that coordinate can be placed in a GPS and used to locate the corners in close enough proximity to have an understanding of the property lines. Close enough to put up stands and such. I verified the coordinates I have from a surveyor for the one property I hunt and the values off the site were within 5' of the actual survey. Pretty useful tool when going into a new property.

tax maps are great, and handheld gps is even better if you can afford it. we surveyed our land for our own knowledge and to post it better. Little surprised where we actually had a little more room then we thought.

And that little room can make all the difference, so it was worth it.

I hunt one parcel about 25 acres and if I had another 40-60 feet of property along one line, I'd have shot some huge bucks there. It's a good pipece now, but that extra small area would make it state-class property.

Unfortunately, this kind of stuff is rampant, especially on LI. Not alot of public access, Everyone thinks that when they discover a place to hunt, that it's "thier spot", and don't consider the possibility that others may be hunting there as well. Then they do things to discourage the other hunters.

Case in point:

Last Saturday I get up at 3am, drive to the spot I bowhunt. I have hunted this land since I was 14 years old, so thats 31 years. Always kinda had the place to myself, but over the last 5 years or so, have encountered alot more people, so I make sure I get there early.

Anyway, I get to my spot in the overgrown field, and wait for light. I am all settled in, when suddenly a pickup truck and a jeep come ripping through the field, busting every living thing out of the area. Thier headlights were bouncing all over, and they passed within 15 feet of me, tore up the hill, and parked there, got out, and started discussing thier hunting plans, readying gear, etc..this is all a 1/2 hour before shooting light.

I shake my head and groan, realizing that someone else has discovered the spot. the unbelievable part is that they parked thier vehicles in the middle of the hunting area....

I decide to stick it out since I have had good luck in my spot in the past. I see absolutely zilch except for tweety birds, so when I prepare to leave, I do a little scouting on the way out. That's when I discover that they have cut many branches and shrubs to clear an easy path to thier "parking spot". I just could not believe that anyone who locates a hunting spot on LI could be so naeive to think that they are the only ones that hunt/know about it. I then find another spot where they have been driving into the field, at the end of which is a flattened out area [repeatedly driven over] , a brand new ladder stand, and......wait for it..........wait for it...........

SEVERAL BUSHELS OF SHUCKED CORN UNDERNEATH!!!

Imagine the audacity of creating driving trails, driving through areas hunted by other people, and BAITING in an obvious spot, about 20 yards from a known access road on county land. I can almost forgive them the driving through the field thing, being that they probably think they are the only guys to find this spot, and just ignorant to the fact that others hunt there as well, but BAITING??? ON COUNTY LAND? Thats just plain stupid.

The moral of the story is, as space gets tighter and tighter, and hunters get more and more demonized, guys are taking any and all shotcuts to get to the bottom line. If that includes stealing gear, ruining spots, baiting, etc, there are many, many slob hunters out there willing to step up to the challenge....

And of course you did the right thing that any hunter should do, and called the DEC to report the incident, right?

• Like 1

tax maps are great, and handheld gps is even better if you can afford it. we surveyed our land for our own knowledge and to post it better. Little surprised where we actually had a little more room then we thought.

The GPS I use is pretty basic. No fancy maps or anything. I used it for this purpose and as a "get back to the truck" feature. It runs about $100, maybe less on sale. But i have an ariel map from Google earth I printed out (36"x48") I used Google Earth to plot trails, stand locations on our leased land. All from coordinates I acquired using the GPS. makes it very nice. If I have a new guy at camp I can get him with about 10-15' of any stand location I am sending them to and I know they will find it.

And that little room can make all the difference, so it was worth it.

I hunt one parcel about 25 acres and if I had another 40-60 feet of property along one line, I'd have shot some huge bucks there. It's a good pipece now, but that extra small area would make it state-class property.

for sure. in our case it was a hollow we always wanted to get in but were never sure about, and we felt more comfortable knowing we weren't on the edge of our land.

The GPS I use is pretty basic. No fancy maps or anything. I used it for this purpose and as a "get back to the truck" feature. It runs about $100, maybe less on sale. But i have an ariel map from Google earth I printed out (36"x48") I used Google Earth to plot trails, stand locations on our leased land. All from coordinates I acquired using the GPS. makes it very nice. If I have a new guy at camp I can get him with about 10-15' of any stand location I am sending them to and I know they will find it.

absolutely. there's a few free iphone apps that can do this, and i think a few that cost a little bit that not only plot the stand but allow you to map the approach trail. I use antler insanity. Gives you realtime wind direction too.

Once a dirtbag, always a dirtbag. Once a scumbag, always a scumbag. Where are getting their F%#@%$d up morals from? Losers, that's all they are. And if the one who stole my 4 trailcams last week in Sanborn, N.Y. your everything I just mentioned. Hope you find the thieves who got to your stands.

I know they are not stealing because they want or need them but because they think its their property. Funny thing is I've only seen two other hunters in there in 5 years. This defiantly is not going to stop me from hunting "their spot" bought three more stands last night. It's upsetting because I have been passing on smaller bucks trying to only take a mature one because I love and respect the opportunity the property presents. Now I feel like any sit could be last before I have to replace the stand again so I will probably shoot bucks I would have passed if my belongings weren't messed with.