What is the best advice...

nybuckboy

Anyone that says he hunts for the meat has no real reason to get up 430-500 in the morning and walk however far into their stand just to kill for meat.

Oh boy this will probably open up another can of worms...

What makes you think everyone hunts in a location where they will see doe or young bucks (meat deer) at any time of the day??   A lot of us envy you guys who have places to hunt like that.  I can assure you many of us have to get our butts out pretty early in the morning to see ANY deer.

• Like 1

To Clarify SUCCESS. I would think we all agree that we hunt whitetail deer for one main reason and a secondary reason, Perhaps I'm wrong here but I would think the number 1 reason we set cameras, scout areas and get up at a god awful time early in the morning is to "kill a Big Racked Mature Buck and secondary is for the meat. Anyone that says he hunts for the meat has no real reason to get up 430-500 in the morning and walk however far into their stand just to kill for meat.

So Success is: try to kill a mature buck.

Congrats, you just ruined your own thread.

• Like 3

What makes you think everyone hunts in a location where they will see doe or young bucks (meat deer) at any time of the day??   A lot of us envy you guys who have places to hunt like that.  I can assure you many of us have to get our butts out pretty early in the morning to see ANY deer.

now this is true. I have to hunt hard all season to get a good mature buck, that is if I am lucky enough to see one. some years I don't get anything at all, whether it is because I passed up small ones or just plain didn't see anything within range. I have put in 15 hours this year and had one doe, a mature one, within range and that was last night. people hunt and give up on the property I go on, I am a stubborn and put in the time and have been rewarded for going farther in and playing the wind to my advantage.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

To Clarify SUCCESS. I would think we all agree that we hunt whitetail deer for one main reason and a secondary reason, Perhaps I'm wrong here but I would think the number 1 reason we set cameras, scout areas and get up at a god awful time early in the morning is to "kill a Big Racked Mature Buck and secondary is for the meat. Anyone that says he hunts for the meat has no real reason to get up 430-500 in the morning and walk however far into their stand just to kill for meat.

I guess by those standards, I'm fairly unsuccessful ................looks like I've been kidding myself for the last 32 years, thanks for the wake up call.

• Like 4

Congrats, you just ruined your own thread.

I'm not sure that's the case, but he should have stated it up front. There's nothing wrong with asking "what's your one tip to kill a big buck". Those without advise, need not take part in said thread. But magazines and tv shows exists mostly to answer these question. They don't put spikes in ads or put a doe on the cover. Sure there are some meat hunters, but there's nothing wrong with trying to bag a mounter. We all have different priorities.

Edited by Belo

anyone else throwing away their alarm clocks and hunting 50 yards in from the road to get their meat deer this year?

No kidding.  I already pinned a filled out DMP tag on the ear of the doe I intend to shoot.  Want her to get a little more plump before I put her down.  LOL

I tell you, some of the boys here who think it's a slam dunk to kill a doe or young buck, ought to hunt where some of us others do.  Talk about a humbling experience, they would surely have one!

No kidding.  I already pinned a filled out DMP tag on the ear of the doe I intend to shoot.  Want her to get a little more plump before I put her down.  LOL

That's exactly what I said about that doe I saw last night, had a good healthy coat but I saw some ribs and her hind quarters were thin.  She had a nice long snout on her and long bodied, at least 2.5yr maybe 3.5, but just too thin, especially a mile in, I don't want to call for back up for a bony doe.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

Says the guy who shoots the first thing that comes in last year because he "didn't have time".

Some of you guys sure do love the magazines and TV shows though. Sometimes having the best hunting grounds will make you look like an allstar but you still might sound like a D-bag.

wtf does me shooting a 150lb dressed 5 point have to do with someone asking about shooting big bucks? Are you saying horn hunters aren't hunters too, or somehow beneath meat hunters? You're just being hypocritical. You shoot what you want, I'll shoot what I want. And I'll gladly help give advise to someone looking for horns on the wall. If you're not a horn hunter, then why even go into a thread about it?

wtf does me shooting a 150lb dressed 5 point have to do with someone asking about shooting big bucks? Are you saying horn hunters aren't hunters too, or somehow beneath meat hunters? You're just being hypocritical. You shoot what you want, I'll shoot what I want. And I'll gladly help give advise to someone looking for horns on the wall. If you're not a horn hunter, then why even go into a thread about it?

I don't think you can consider yourself a trophy horn hunter when that's not what you kill can you? Thereby meaning how can you give advice?

Hypocritical is claiming to be something your'e not, like you. The internet sure does make pro hunters out of everyone doesn't it?

And..you don't have any idea what I shoot, and thats because I don't go around claiming to be god's gift to deer hunting like some others here.

I don't think you can consider yourself a trophy horn hunter when that's not what you kill can you? Thereby meaning how can you give advice?

Hypocritical is claiming to be something your'e not, like you. The internet sure does make pro hunters out of everyone doesn't it?

And..you don't have any idea what I shoot, and thats because I don't go around claiming to be god's gift to deer hunting like some others here.

I know I come off brash and confident in my tactics, but I don't think anyone, including me and Belo, on this site, thinks of themselves this way. It's pretty rare to have on a site like this with this many members. Everyone here in large is willing to at least learn as much as they preach. They bring their POV, but they're willing to hear other sides.

You would be wrong.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I told you this probably open up a can of worms and I didn't mean to cause an uproar. I do think some of you take this wrong. I have hunted many hours/days and not seen a single deer. I have eaten tag soup many times over the years of hunting, both gun and bow. I do not have or have ever had a property to hunt where deer are abundant. I do hunt first for mature bucks and second for meat. If I'm fortunate to get both I feel extremely lucky. We all see success obviously differently. The purpose of the thread was the original question so what one advice would you suggest as important to the success of killing a deer.

I told you this probably open up a can of worms and I didn't mean to cause an uproar. I do think some of you take this wrong. I have hunted many hours/days and not seen a single deer. I have eaten tag soup many times over the years of hunting, both gun and bow. I do not have or have ever had a property to hunt where deer are abundant. I do hunt first for mature bucks and second for meat. If I'm fortunate to get both I feel extremely lucky. We all see success obviously differently. The purpose of the thread was the original question so what one advice would you suggest as important to the success of killing a deer.

If you originally posed the question as what's the best advice to be successful to take mature bucks, this thread may have went differently...second mistake was insulting meat hunters.

• Like 1

here's the thing DOEwacker, I never made any judgments about you, your post or what you shoot. You're the one who got all defensive at the OP for wanting advice on how to shoot big deer. I've shot big deer. I've shot small deer. I've shot doe, spike and a button. I am by no means perfect or the greatest. But i've learned from some greats that have several enteries each into the big buck club. Maybe I'll post some wall pics of what my father and grandfather have shot someday. My advice comes from them.... and if "practice" is bad advice, or advice I cannot give because I shot a 5 point last year, then my apologies.

I would say that I determine success on a lot of levels, and yes killing a mature buck is one of them. As far as advice goes for killing a mature animal it's simple put yourself where u know one is, can't kill a big one if their is not one around. go to the Midwest. I guess that's another piece of advice.

As long as this post went awry let me ask any of you this question.

Is there anyone here that does not want to really shoot, at least once in their life, "A Big RackedMature Buck?

At this point in my hunting career, I don't want to even think of dragging one of those out. So no, I don't really want to shoot one.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

As long as this post went awry let me ask any of you this question.

Is there anyone here that does not want to really shoot, at least once in their life, "A Big RackedMature Buck?

Since I have not where I can put the mount...umm...no.  Doesn't matter to me.