No crossbow no hunting

noodle one

Today, I went shopping and ran into an old friend of mine. When I asked him how he was doing ,he told me ,not good he owns and works a small construction outfit and has worked hard his whole life. He has a very bad back and had (2) two surgery on it in the pass. This pass spring they went and did  some more on his back and had to put in a rod and some pins. He told that he can not even stand up straight. Now this man  loves to hunt and lives to hunt with a bow. He can not even start to pull back his bow, so he went out and got himself a crossbow this summer and started to practice with it, only to find out that he could not hunt with it even with a doc. slip and this has him very upset and mad. Now this man owns about 500 acres that has never been posted and he would let anyone who asked hunt. He told me that he has had it with New York State and the DEC. If he can not hunt he own land with a crossbow during bow season than nobody can hunt. he sent his son out to post every in. of it. I will tell you,  he is upset.  Thankyou New York Bowhunters , his words, not mine. What do you think.

Im not for or against crossbows, but if they are going to be legal why do they feel they only belong in the gun season.  Since they are in the gun season why cant the handicapped, elderly or anyone 17 and under use them?  Makes no sense to legalize crossbows only to stick them in the rifle season where they are far more inferior to the rifle.  How many people would actually take that disadvantage into the woods when you have the option of taking a rifle or shotgun instead.  I would be pissed too.  Every tree would have a posted sign and a big fat sign in front for the DEC to see when they cruise by.

what is he 12 yrs old  ???  Unfortunately it will happen to all of us sooner or later. Im not looking forward to not being able to pull my bow back but it will happen someday. And if he can't pull a bow back how is he going to crank a crossbow back, or drag a deer or climb a tree stand or get into the woods in general without killing himself and being an inconvenience to others. Sounds like he needs to give it a rest for a few yrs till he's back into somekind of shape. By then AR and crossbows will be here so tell him not to sweat it. Hell have his crossbow but he wont be able to shoot anything with it.  :D 

what is he 12 yrs old  ???  Unfortunately it will happen to all of us sooner or later. Im not looking forward to not being able to pull my bow back but it will happen someday. And if he can't pull a bow back how is he going to crank a crossbow back, or drag a deer or climb a tree stand or get into the woods in general without killing himself and being an inconvenience to others. Sounds like he needs to give it a rest for a few yrs till he's back into somekind of shape. By then AR and crossbows will be here so tell him not to sweat it. Hell have his crossbow but he wont be able to shoot anything with it.  :D

erusssell, I am sorry to read that you feel that way. This man is 68 years old and the older we get, the longer it takes to heal. Erussell, the land that this man owns is in Broome Co. and I know that you live in Broome Co.. Are you happy that you ,me and alot of others have lost 500 acres of hunting land? That's how I read your post. This man has worked hard his whole life to have what he has and now someone tells him ,he can not use it. I would be pissed too. When we are young we walk around thinking , nothing is going to happen to me I am to careful and besizes what could happen. Let me tell you that it can happen to you, me or anyone, at anytime. God forbid that something should happen to you, but if it did, how would you feel if someone said to you "don't sweat it". As far as this man having to pull

back on his crossbow, it has a hand crank. He has three sons to gut and drag his deer out.

This man went out and bought a electric fore wheel card to get himself around. Where there is a will ,there is a way. 

Sorry the older I get the less tolerant I get of other peoples bull. I'm sorry to hear about his situation but to take a im going home with my toys because you wont do what I want attitude is the wrong way to go, especially since the DEC really doesn't care if he shuts off his land or not. The only people who are suffering are the hunters. Especially the young hunters, would have been better if he said unless you bring a young kid with you you can't go hunting. I understand he is frustrated and I would beg him to rethink his position. Crossbows will be in archery sooner than you think, even though I don't think it will be soon enough.

There is a mechanism I read about in the Sept. issue of Outdoors magazine, It's called Drawloc. There are special laws in effect to allow disabled bow hunters to use this. More info can be found on their website...www.drawloc.com. All I did was read the article, there is also a number of dealers in NY- Cougar sports, Ardsley ny, flying arrow sports, carmel ny, outfitter plus, dennemora ny, flying arrow in Albany and On the spot Archery, Shelburne ny. check it out looks interesting for the disabled.

With such open minded hunters, as on this topic, I know see why the antis have been hammering us. Unfortunately, your friend is on the older side. It is just a matter of time before they legalize for bow season.  Tell him to be patient. The rest of us will be in his shoes in a matter of time if not by injury by age and WE WILL be singing another toon. I just hope WE remember this topic. My 2 cents.

PS. this is one reason I no longer support NYB.

With such open minded hunters, as on this topic, I know see why the antis have been hammering us. Unfortunately, your friend is on the older side. It is just a matter of time before they legalize for bow season.  Tell him to be patient. The rest of us will be in his shoes in a matter of time if not by injury by age and WE WILL be singing another toon. I just hope WE remember this topic. My 2 cents.

I guess I didn't catch why this guy can't hunt during gun season. Is there some problem with that. For people with arm, hand, shoulder and back problems, the gun is actually the more suitable weapon. When I can no longer pull my bow, that is exactly what I intend to do. That is if the rest of my body is up to even that. You know, hunting is a physical activity and whether we want to admit it or not, there does come a time when we will no longer be able to do what we use to. If I can't bowhunt, the next logical step is to gun hunt. If the time comes that I can not pick up and shoot a gun, then I guess the crossbow probably won't help either. What I probably won't do is to throw a tantrum and try to take it out on everyone around me because I'm not being accomodated.

With such open minded hunters, as on this topic, I know see why the antis have been hammering us. Unfortunately, your friend is on the older side. It is just a matter of time before they legalize for bow season.  Tell him to be patient. The rest of us will be in his shoes in a matter of time if not by injury by age and WE WILL be singing another toon. I just hope WE remember this topic. My 2 cents.

I guess I didn't catch why this guy can't hunt during gun season. Is there some problem with that. For people with arm, hand, shoulder and back problems, the gun is actually the more suitable weapon. When I can no longer pull my bow, that is exactly what I intend to do. That is if the rest of my body is up to even that. You know, hunting is a physical activity and whether we want to admit it or not, there does come a time when we will no longer be able to do what we use to. If I can't bowhunt, the next logical step is to gun hunt. If the time comes that I can not pick up and shoot a gun, then I guess the crossbow probably won't help either. What I probably won't do is to throw a tantrum and try to take it out on everyone around me because I'm not being accomodated.

When I talked to him, the subject of gun hunting never came up. He lives in shotgun country and that's were his land is. It could be that maybe the recoil from a shotgun would be to much for him, I don't know, I didn't ask. I know that with a bad back sometimes any sullen movment can be very painful. This man is not a grumpy old man, and he knows that by posting his land that the DEC could less. I don't know for a fact, and I won't say what it is but I think I know what he is doing.  I think that when he has a little time to think about it , he will let some people that he knows hunt. I think that he is upset with all that has been going on with his back and the way the state came out with the crossbow law. Believe me this man is a real nice guy.

Noodle ---- Has he tried a 20 gauge ? They have plenty of knockdown power . A muzzle loader can be used during gun season and has a very mild recoil . What about a pistol ? Just some options ........

I don't know what he has for a shotgun or if he has a pistol or not. I do know that he does hunt with a muzzle loader, because I have talked to him about hunting with one. I know that his first love is bow hunting. I know that what ever he does it will be what he feels is right. Like I said in a earlier post, giving a little time to think about it , then he will let people he knows hunt. I hope.

There is a mechanism I read about in the Sept. issue of Outdoors magazine, It's called Drawloc. There are special laws in effect to allow disabled bow hunters to use this. More info can be found on their website...www.drawloc.com. All I did was read the article, there is also a number of dealers in NY- Cougar sports, Ardsley ny, flying arrow sports, carmel ny, outfitter plus, dennemora ny, flying arrow in Albany and On the spot Archery, Shelburne ny. check it out looks interesting for the disabled.

Still need to get a permit from the state, although it is far easier then the breath tube thing for crossbows.

Funny thing about the Drawloc - they promote themselves as a vertical crossbow and do not have to be drawn in the precense of game - and yet they are fine with NYB ::)

there goes Doc, riding off into the sunset again ;D

I feel for guy and can understand his anger at NY and the DEC, but I think his anger is misplaced.  Why hurt all hunters because NY won't let him use the crossbow?

The man could get a lot done if he were to start fighting back.  He should call the local news media and tell them about his plight.  Maybe they would do a story on him.  Start a letter writing and e-mailing campaign to his elected officials and the DEC and garner support for his case, and the case of the hundreds of other hunters like him. 

Work to get the law changed and he'll be doing something positive.  What he is doing now is negative and won't accomplish anything.  I think he'll feel a whole lot better working to correct the issue this way, than just sitting and sulking.

there goes Doc, riding off into the sunset again ;D

Yes, whether we like it or not, or whether we get stuck in denial or not, or bury ourselves in pretense, there is no turning back the clock. And sure enough we will all be riding or be carried "off into the sunset".  :)

Doc

Doc,

Are you quoting John Wayne?

No, just using Sit's remark as part of a response. But I'm sure the Duke would have agreed. Clint Eastwood probably would have added that a man's gotta understand his limitations. That would be appropriate too. :)

Doc