Broadheads that thump? (mechanical)

JFB

Not looking to start a fixed vs. mechanical debate. But I would like a different opinion regarding mechanicals. I had used Spitfires for years with good luck but it seemed like the impact really made the deer feel the hit and run hard. I figured this was due to the blades that deploy by being pushed back? More surface area hitting or pushing on the deer? 

I switched to Rage also with very good results and they seem to slice through the deer with less impact and the deer just kind of run off seemingly less aware they were hit. But I'm reading so much "failure" talk with Rage on quartering away shots. 

So would deer 'feel' the thump on a Spitfire or Grim Reaper style more than a Rage style? I also thought the sound of the "swack" upon hit was louder with the spitfire style? 

Loved my rages , yes the quartering away shot was iffy, did break bone and dump deer , crazy penetration on perfect shots if ya touched bone, I switched to shwacker this year only because 2 times now I have hit a hard bone and it has snapped the threaded part of the broad head off in my inserts making it impossible to reuse the arrow without serious surgery of the arrow and insert , have yet to stick one with a Shwacker but I can't wait to see what it does, hopefully the blood trails are as impressive if not better then the rages , never needed to get on my hands and knees to look for blood,

Check Ulmer Edge broadheads. Absolutely bad muthas!!!I used to love the first 2 blade spitfires that NAP came out with but when my supply dried up I looked and looked for something that I liked.This is my seconds year using them and I have had 4 guys I hunt with switch to them as soon as they saw the holes they left

• Like 1

Check Ulmer Edge broadheads. Absolutely bad muthas!!!I used to love the first 2 blade spitfires that NAP came out with but when my supply dried up I looked and looked for something that I liked.This is my seconds year using them and I have had 4 guys I hunt with switch to them as soon as they saw the holes they left

ya those elmers are no joke!!!   basically same head as the shwackers but with the set screw so you can practice with the actual head without deployment... and as you know they are offset sharpened for twisting motion as they go through!!!   right now that is probly the only head i would consider switching to n give em a try from my shwachers... 

RAGE IS THE ISH... i just shot one braodside 2 days ago, nice 8 point. he ran less then 40 and dumped over, it all last less then 10 seconds. ive shot deer with rage and they dont even know they were hit, they took a step and fell right down. rjust to answer your question, rage are amazing on quatering away shots, not sure where you heard they weren't?

your bow will have some play in hoe the deer reacts after the shot. if its noisy and slow he will react more im willing to bet vs a bow fast and quiet or even quiet for that matter. also i noticed with quick clean pass throughs they react less then when the arrow is sticking out. it all depends on the deer really not the equipment IMO. you get some that want to run and some that dont know what happened...

I am definitely a rage advocate... I started out using g5 switched to rage and never looked back. I love how they fly just like my field tips and make a nice crack when hitting deer... Super deadly and has dropped my deer within 50 yards with great blood trails... I just wish I could shoot them outta my recurve.

post-2748-0-68843900-1383444629_thumb.jp

I'll check out the shwackers. I've had good luck with the Rage as well but the simple fact so many have claimed failure with them really makes me wonder. I saw one photo of a deer that had an angled scar where the guy said he took a quarter away shot and it deflected. It's as clear as day on his trail cam pic. I don't know he has anything in it to say anything other than his experience. All my shots have been fully broadside. 

For all yo Shwacker shooters... do you notice ANY difference in flight compared to field tips? 

I'll check out the shwackers. I've had good luck with the Rage as well but the simple fact so many have claimed failure with them really makes me wonder. I saw one photo of a deer that had an angled scar where the guy said he took a quarter away shot and it deflected. It's as clear as day on his trail cam pic. I don't know he has anything in it to say anything other than his experience. All my shots have been fully broadside. 

For all yo Shwacker shooters... do you notice ANY difference in flight compared to field tips? 

not a bit!!  every year the week before season i shoot a few feild points, n then designate on head to practice after that n they fly the same year after year even when they switched from the 1.75' black heads, to the 2" green heads ... 

Shot a doe with Shwackers last year, hard quartering away shot and got a complete pass through. She ran 80 yards and piled up. Shot 2 does this year quartering to me with Rage 2 blades. Complete pass throughs, one ran 60-70 yards and the other ran 50. Both shoot great from my bow and have had great results. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Nap to me looks cheap. Way to hollow of a heAd. To me it takes away KE on impact for being hollow. Even still being a 100grain head the length looks longer then rage and 2 3rds of it is so hollow vs rage. I personally think rage has the best design hands down. As long as rage will be on the market, i will use them and nothing else. Their head is far superior then anything I have ever shot and I shot many heads before.