Traffic stops/deer checks?

russellbrook

If you've done nothing wrong, I don't see the point in giving them a hard time, the only one who's gonna be inconvenienced is you.....they're there getting paid anyway........if they feel they need to get a search warrant and make you sit around for hours, probably be even better, they'll more than likely get overtime and I doubt they'll go through the trouble for routine stops that won't pan out............and telling them you'll see them in court doesn't bother them either it's part of their job, as is losing cases, which believe it or not really doesn't bother most cops. Remember this, they may tell you the consequences of not complying, but they are allowed to use deception to get you to confess to something they may have not found out otherwise, know your rights and be smart about when to give them a hard time and when not to.

Edited by jjb4900

What we are seeing here are two sides:  The Constitutionalists who feel the Fourth Amendment applies, even to deer hunters.....and, the "Sheeple" who feel we should bow down to govt. forces and submit to whatever invasion to our privacy.  Well, for what it is worth:  I hope the "Sheeple" get trampled upon, and I hope the Constitutionalists remain strong and prevail!!!!!

• Like 2

Belo,

NO, NO, NO.

Just because there's a deer in my truck, what probable cause do they have to search my case? (btw, my gun in never in a case, it's laying on the back seat of the truck, unloaded of course)

If there's blood, they can ask to see what's in the bed (probable cause is the blood), once they see it's a deer that's legally tagged, I'm free to drive away.

I know lots of guys, and gals, that dress in camo all year long. Please tell me how this is probable cause to search for illegal activity.

I was just posing probable scenario questions to the law experts that's all. I wear casual camo too. I meant full camo'd hunting gear.

Edited by Belo

Exercising our Constitutional rights is "giving them a hard time"? If they feel the need to ask me what's in my trunk, I have the right to be presented with a warrant declaring what they think they're going to find in my trunk. If they think they have grounds for a warrant, then I'm more than happy to wait for it to come through. The tire comment? Well if they're that bad, then I deserve a ticket anyway.

I wish I had hours to waste in the side of the road

Used to be mandatory stop coming out of Tully years ago. Roadblock stopped every car and if you had deer you were pulled off to check tags and such. Never had an issue they were all pretty nice. Then the check was along 81 just north of Tully and then money ran out now It is there for a few hours opening day for research I think. I hunt all day so it is gone when I come through.

Still occurs just more rare

What we are seeing here are two sides: The Constitutionalists who feel the Fourth Amendment applies, even to deer hunters.....and, the "Sheeple" who feel we should bow down to govt. forces and submit to whatever invasion to our privacy. Well, for what it is worth: I hope the "Sheeple" get trampled upon, and I hope the Constitutionalists remain strong and prevail!!!!!

But what about cameras on the woods!

There used to be a check station in Rush just off 390,then it moved to the DEC office in Avon on RTS. 5 & 20. I don't recall stopping being mandatory. I voluntarily stopped several times but I was never treated badly.All of my experiences with DEC officers except one over 20 yrs. ago were cordial and friendly. One officer even offered me advice on finding turkeys.This was all in Region 8 so maybe we are fortunate here.

"If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about."

Beg pardon?  No longer being a resident of what used to be a great state, I can't help but wonder how so many have forgotten their rights under both the NY State & U.S. Constitution. 

How are roadblocks set up by both the NY State Troopers & the DEC not a violation of both constitutions when such police officers have no evidence of violations of any law(s)?  Think Fourth Amendment.

That so many who have done nothing wrong are subjected to these searches, and willingly comply says what about their backbone?

How long have you NY-ers let the SAFE Act slide?  Why do you willingly comply with such searches (roadblocks)?  When you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, why not let any law enforcement thug search you & your home, and everything in it?

Edited by russellbrook
  • Like 1

How are roadblocks set up by both the NY State Troopers & the DEC not a violation of both constitutions when such police officers have no evidence of violations of any law(s)?  Think Fourth Amendment.

people have been arguing the constitutional validity of road blocks for years. I'll tell you what. Some scum bag nabs my little boy or some convicted felon escapes from jail. I have no problem with some road blocks. I also have no issue with anyone here exercising their rights if they have several hours to kill and as someone else mentioned, the time to piss off a cop who will just try harder to find something.

In my line of work my facility is audited a lot. The more you try and hide, the sneaker you seem the deeper the auditors dig. I obey the laws of this state and country. So if the officer is polite, and I'm polite then usually we're good. He starts getting all fancy on me for no reason then I would certainly exercise my rights as well. Some of you just seem to want to cause a scene. You're probably the same people that hope one day you get to use your carry. I carry, but I hope I never need it.

Edited by Belo

I can see both sides of the argument here.  It definitely feels like harassment and violations of our rights in so many ways, yet if we don't have anything to hide, it will just waste more of our time if we don't comply.  The trooper or DEC officer has all the time to kill compared to us hunters who just want to get back home, so I think that's the biggest reason they get away with it in my opinion.  Me and my uncle were pulled over one time back in the early 80's on the Taconic parkway.  All vehicles that had hunters in it had to pull aside.  We didn't have a deer that time, but the trooper wanted us to pull our freakin guns out of their cases to check if they were loaded.  We just complied, but when I look back at it, it seemed like they were going out of their way to give hunters a hard time.  And this was 30 years ago now, so it's not like these type of harassments are something new.  That actually was the one and ONLY time we were ever asked to do anything like that.  These days I rarely ever see deer checks stops.

it's DEC's busy time of year to catch violator's, unfortunately it's at an inconvenience to many. I don't see it as any different than increased patrols around certain holidays, the big "clickit or ticket" seatbelt crackdown that happens every year and now the targeting of cell phone users..........just another busy time of year to grab some revenue for the state............I don't see it as targeting hunters, more of targeting the" flavor of the month" to make some money.

You are right, Steve....We are targeted because we are hunters. That's sad...for most of us are law-abiding citizens. Being a hunter, by itself, should not stand for probable cause. It is because that large numbers of us choose to capitulate for "safety and convenience" that this stuff goes on.

• Like 1

"If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about."

Beg pardon?  No longer being a resident of what used to be a great state, I can't help but wonder how so many have forgotten their rights under both the NY State & U.S. Constitution. 

That so many who have done nothing wrong are subjected to these searches, and willingly comply says what about their backbone?

How long have you NY-ers let the SAFE Act slide?  Why do you willingly comply with such searches (roadblocks)?  When you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, why not let any law enforcement thug search you & your home, and everything in it?

You did read my words correct. I would not want to have to deal with someone who is having a bad day or is just a plain ass. If i am pulled over and i know i have not done anything wrong or have anything in my car that is illegal then i have no issue.

So you left NY and come to a hunting site over a search that might have gone bad for you once? 

That's a valid point jjb, but we really don't want to let it go too far.  We already can get summonses for moving violations captured by cameras, and stuff like that.  Almost get strip searched boarding planes and entering government offices and landmarks.  We are living in a completely different world, though.  Most of us don't trust just every joe blow on the street either, why should we think government, law enforcement or anyone else should have complete trust in them?  Will NEVER happen again.  Those that think we are losing too many rights in this country can go ANYWHERE else in the world, and I can guarantee them that they will have even less rights wherever they would choose to go.  Humanity has made this type of world for themselves, so it leaves us now with very few alternatives.  Blasting off into space might be the only escape from it.

That's a valid point jjb, but we really don't want to let it go too far.  We already can get summonses for moving violations captured by cameras, and stuff like that.  Almost get strip searched boarding planes and entering government offices and landmarks.  We are living in a completely different world, though.  Most of us don't trust just every joe blow on the street either, why should we think government, law enforcement or anyone else should have complete trust in them?  Will NEVER happen again.  Those that think we are losing too many rights in this country can go ANYWHERE else in the world, and I can guarantee them that they will have even less rights wherever they would choose to go.  Humanity has made this type of world for themselves, so it leaves us now with very few alternatives.  Blasting off into space might be the only escape from it.

I was just saying why it's done............not really approving of how it's done.

Last time I was checked was at the Maine border after a Canadian bear hunt.  We didn’t get a bear, but the ½ dozen offers acted like a pack of raccoons tearing apart the back of the truck and looking through the coolers.  They asked the typical questions, any game, any fish and produce, what did you buy in Canada?  The one thing that got them pissed is when they asked any beer?  We said yes.  We bought a case (24) and drank a few but didn’t know how many were still in the cooler. They wanted to know the precise # that we still had in the cooler (we didn’t know…maybe 18?).  They also didn’t like one can of Vienna sausage we bought in Canada.  They took the 18 or so beers and sausage…maybe they don’t pay those guards that well?